Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
vst

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan x 2
Help: Driver's side door window shattered

I was driving down the highway when all of a sudden (without any thing or anyone doing anything to my car), my driver's side door window just shattered! I've never had anything like this happen. Is this something that is covered by my manufacturer's warranty?
vst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
You are going to ask a dealer that question

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
you sure some kid with a 22 or a REALLY high powered BB gun isn't playing sniper nearby? I can't think of a reason that a window would shater without being touched other than having a drastic instant change in temperature.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Rich k

Drives: 07 3dr white Yaris 5spd stock
Send a message via AIM to Rich k
Sorry to hear about the window good thing your not jumpy, some people would have flinched and been off the road. Don't worry if somehow its not covered by the dealer it will be covered by the "glass coverage" that you most likely have thru your car insurance. Typically this coverage has no deductable, so you just call up file a claim, get it fixed and don't pay a dime, and no they won't raise your rates. So check with the dealer first, if they fix it free great, if not check with your insurance. You should end up with a nice new windown free of charge. Happy holidays.
Rich k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:32 AM   #5
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
you sure some kid with a 22 or a REALLY high powered BB gun isn't playing sniper nearby? I can't think of a reason that a window would shater without being touched other than having a drastic instant change in temperature.
the volkswagen jetta had a huge problem like that, the window would just drop and shatter inside the door

however, if yours "shattered" when intact.....then either someone's tire tripped a small pointy rock right at ur window at high speed, or......the bb gun thing
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:06 AM   #6
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I would sure hope the dealer would cover it, but they will probably find some way to blame you or put it on something else.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:49 AM   #7
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
I can't see how any Dealer would ever cover that.... but hey I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Assuming something did in fact hit it you will never know what it was or where it came from. I know of cases where it was clear to the driver that a group of kids either hit their window with a small rock or a bb so they contacted local police and were basically told that unless you have identifying video of someone doing it you are out of luck. This is just one of those annoying things that happens that you just have take in stride.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:02 AM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Especially since you are on the freeway probally a rock got picked up by someones tire and turned into a high speed projectile and your window took the impact and shattered. Just like those saftey hammers you can buy at some stores that you use to tape your windshield and it shatters incase your car is sinking in a lake.

Few months ago i heard this loud THUD. On the side of my care. Scared the crap out of me. It was dark when i got home so didnt see any damage. In the morning i saw a huge dent on the lower panel below the door. And that metal is extremly solid. Its right next to the lift points. I dont think it can be pulled out would need bodyfiller and repainting. So if something like that could happen your window could easiliy shatter too.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
vst

well, it definitely was NOT a projectile or a rock or anything like that.

I searched the internet and found out that there have been exploding window cases with Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe and Corollas because Toyota issued a recall to some of the windows in earlier model cars earlier in 2008. Also, I found that there seems to be a problem with certain cars in general that tend to have these exploding windows. Some are claiming that it has something to do with the hot/cold effect (turning on too much AC on a hot day or suddenly going from a hot to cold climate, etc.). Not sure if this is true, but at least I found out I'm not the only one who has encountered this.

I suggest we start collecting reports of these "exploding windows" and reporting it to Toyota so that Yaris can be included in any safety recalls or service campaigns.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I tint my side windows just for this reson. Holds the window together so the glass does'nt fly in your face. I had a deer slam into the side of my Isuzu Imark years ago doing 60mph and the window exploded but stayed intact due to the tint film.
Great safety idea..
Glad you were'nt hurt.
Do you have power window lifts?
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
tuckevalastin

May I ask how you know it was definetly not a projectile?
Old 12-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawesh View Post
the volkswagen jetta had a huge problem like that, the window would just drop and shatter inside the door

however, if yours "shattered" when intact.....then either someone's tire tripped a small pointy rock right at ur window at high speed, or......the bb gun thing
that would make sense too... cept... it'd have to come at like a 90degree angle... if it comes from in front of him it'd would barely exert any force on the window and would just skim the window.

I really want to know how this happened.

Although I mentioned extreme temp changes... I still see that being very rare, and needing a HUGE change in temps....
Anybody ever wash their car in 90 + degree sunny weather before? When you wash, that water hits the car at around 40-50 degrees.... thats an 40-50 degree difference in temps at least (probably more if the car has been sitting in the sun for awhile). I've never shattered a window in that scenario and I did that probably 3 times this summer.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
vst

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckevalastin View Post
May I ask how you know it was definetly not a projectile?

well, for starters we were traveling in the extreme left lane of the highway, no one to the left of us. Secondly, there was a barrier wall between Northbound and Southbound. Thirdly, I never saw anything coming at us or heard anything coming at us. Fourth, I looked throughout the car (the window exploded inwards) and found NOTHING that could have caused it.

Last, but not least, this was spontaneous. I couldn't attibute this to someone shooting bbs or someone driving by and knocking something into us or anyone throwing something at us.

Plus, I'm finding a lot more stories about this type of thing on the internet (lots of cars with similar spontaneous explosions). I mean, it's not like the window broke--- it completely shattered into a million pieces. It was startling and unbelievable.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
tuckevalastin

talked to the dealer yet?
Old 12-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #15
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I told you not to make you mad. Look at what you made me do to your car.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #16
vst

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckevalastin View Post
talked to the dealer yet?

No, I'll be talking to them tomorrow morning. I'm expecting an uphill battle just because dealers love to disclaim almost anything warranty related.

We'll see what happens.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #17
tuckevalastin

I doubt you'll get anything from the dealer simply because you cant prove it was a failure by the window but good luck!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #18
ToddR
Bacon!

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by vst View Post
I mean, it's not like the window broke--- it completely shattered into a million pieces.
That's what safety glass is supposed to do when it breaks. If nothing else your comprehensive insurance should cover it.
ToddR is offline   Reply With Quote