Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Zarkos

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Unhappy Automatic Transmission to Manual

Hello to all of you.

I have a very important question. Is it possible to switch out the automatic transmission that I have in my Yaris to a manual transmission? I really don't like to drive an automatic car and I want to know if it's possible, has anyone done it successfully and what are the things I would need.

Please keep in mind that I am very dull when it comes to anything to do with car mechanics. In fact, just yesterday I felt incredibly proud of myself for finally changing the oil. I'd never done something like that but I'm sure you guys don't even blink when doing that.

Anyway, any help would be great!

P.S.
My motivation for wanting to switch out the transmission is that apart from loving to drive manual transmission, I really do love my Yaris. It's got 4 doors and it's awesome! Problem is that it's automatic! I want to keep my car but I want it to be stick shift. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
This question seems to get asked about once a month. It is very possible to do. I have done it the opposite way, which is actually more difficult, as 19 wires need to be added to the ECM from the automatic transmission.

I have a couple of kits for doing so for sale, that contain everything needed, except the transmission and ECM. The tranny is cost prohibitive to ship, so a local junkyard one is better way to go. The ECM required will vary based on the year of your car and if it has ABS. The correct ECM can typically be had for under $100 and I can reprogram the ECM with the correct VIN of your car.

Here is the link to my kit, which shows the parts required to swap:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49003
Old 05-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
j-san

Drives: 2010 5-door hatchback
I'd be interested in having my Yaris swapped to 5-spd, but it seems like it is more work than it's worth. I'd just as well try to find a comparable model year with a 5-spd and trade for it.

CTScott, you must be a mechanic by trade to have done the mods and have the knowledge that you do. You are quite the valuable resource on the forum!
j-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
Brett!

Drives: 2010 3D base
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-san View Post
I'd be interested in having my Yaris swapped to 5-spd, but it seems like it is more work than it's worth. I'd just as well try to find a comparable model year with a 5-spd and trade for it.

CTScott, you must be a mechanic by trade to have done the mods and have the knowledge that you do. You are quite the valuable resource on the forum!
the guy is a wizard. It blows my mind.
Brett! is offline   Reply With Quote