Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
seat belt chime disable?

Hi from a new Yaris owner. Like the car but the seatbelt chime drives me nuts. I use the hatch to pick up and drop off a lot of gardening supplies and having to buckle and unbuckle the belt as I drive around my property is a MAJOR PITA.

I saw this technique on the Corolla website to disable the chime. Has any one tried this on the Yaris- does it work?

1. turn ignition to ON, do not start car or touch brakes. 2. set trip meter to ODO, not Trip A or Trip B 3. turn ignition back off to LOCK 4. turn ignition to ON again, this time press and hold trip meter button within 6 seconds of turning ignition to ON 5. hold button for 12 seconds*, then while holding button, fasten driver's seat belt * you must hold for at least 12 seconds or it won't work! 6. trip meter LCD should now display b-off or b-on... you want it set to b-off. you can release the button at this point and press it again to cycle the options. 7. wait for the trip meter LCD to return to normal, turn off ignition. That should turn off the seat belt chime,
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
andaconda

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
Hi from a new Yaris owner. Like the car but the seatbelt chime drives me nuts. I use the hatch to pick up and drop off a lot of gardening supplies and having to buckle and unbuckle the belt as I drive around my property is a MAJOR PITA.

I saw this technique on the Corolla website to disable the chime. Has any one tried this on the Yaris- does it work?

1. turn ignition to ON, do not start car or touch brakes. 2. set trip meter to ODO, not Trip A or Trip B 3. turn ignition back off to LOCK 4. turn ignition to ON again, this time press and hold trip meter button within 6 seconds of turning ignition to ON 5. hold button for 12 seconds*, then while holding button, fasten driver's seat belt * you must hold for at least 12 seconds or it won't work! 6. trip meter LCD should now display b-off or b-on... you want it set to b-off. you can release the button at this point and press it again to cycle the options. 7. wait for the trip meter LCD to return to normal, turn off ignition. That should turn off the seat belt chime,
Tried it -- DOES NOT seem to work.
I wish there were an easier way without taking it to the dealer
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

alternatively I'd be ok with just removing the chime module (I'd give up the ability to be warned if I leave on headlights or left key in ignition etc.) if I could find it. An older post here was wrong as to it's location for my 2009- when I tried to reliplicate the technique in the post and took apart the dash- the chime seemed to be inside the instrutment module (which I'd be afraid to disassemble) and I was unable to pull it.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Ever tried something simple like sticking an extension into the seatbelt latch? I did that to the passanger side to keep the airbag light happy when I'm hauling my dachshund around in the front seat. I got my extension from Toyota for free. Owners manual said they'd be free at the dealership, and it was true. All they asked for was what length I wanted the extension to be.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

The dealer did it today (for free BTW)- what a relief! Thanks Crystal Toyota (NJ).
Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
idk why people keep coming up with different ways to trick or get around it. the dealer will turn it off free of charge.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
kenora

Drives: 2009 Yaris LE 5 dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
Ever tried something simple like sticking an extension into the seatbelt latch? I did that to the passanger side to keep the airbag light happy when I'm hauling my dachshund around in the front seat. I got my extension from Toyota for free. Owners manual said they'd be free at the dealership, and it was true. All they asked for was what length I wanted the extension to be.
hahahhaa...had to laugh... I just called my dealer about the extension and turning off the chime (and my wind whistle...another post).

The service manager said the extension was free but I had to bring my brother-in-law (400++++++ lbs) into the dealership so they could custom measure an extension.

I said NO FRICKIN WAY!

The guy is sensitive enough about weighing as much as the Yaris does without having some service dude measure the amount of "way too fat for the Yaris" he is.

I said I needed an extension of about 2 - 4 inches, and they better come up with it without the need for "Dumbo" (B-i-L) to be there....we'll see....

On the chime he said that he had never turned one off on the Yaris but that since every other Toyota model had the ability to be turned off he expected the Yaris would as well.
kenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
idk why people keep coming up with different ways to trick or get around it. the dealer will turn it off free of charge.
Nothing tricky about sticking in a free extension; next owner might like seat belt chimes and airbag warning lights.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
andaconda

Quote:
Took in in today / 5 min fix.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
was it free for you too?
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
find the 2 wires that go to the buckle, splice/crimp/solder in 2 more wires and wire to a toggle switch. that way you could choose whether or not you want the chime. I would prefer this over having an extension plugged in 24/7 when I have computers/monitors/printers in the passenger seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch.jpg (8.9 KB, 299 views)
Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
andaconda

Quote:
was it free for you too?
YES - After they finished I asked them "what's the charge?" Reply was "nothing." The price seemed fair to me.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I got mine done for free. It took a little arm twisting by threatening them with a bad new owner survey. If it is the only mod I make, it is well worth it.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Actually I should mention for the sake of those who haven't had this done- the chime still rings 5x when you turn on the engine to remind you to put the belt on. What it doesn't do after the mod by the dealer is restart ringing again once you start to drive without the seatbelt being buckled.

Last edited by Lewis; 04-17-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #15
andaconda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
Actually I should mention for the sake of those who haven't had this done- the chime still rings 3x when you turn on the engine to remind you to put the belt on. What it doesn't do after the mod by the dealer is restart ringing again once you start to drive without the seatbelt being buckled.
And the light will continue to blink in the gauge cluster.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #16
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
find the 2 wires that go to the buckle, splice/crimp/solder in 2 more wires and wire to a toggle switch. that way you could choose whether or not you want the chime. I would prefer this over having an extension plugged in 24/7 when I have computers/monitors/printers in the passenger seat.
My extension is neatly tucked between passenger seat and console. Don't even know that it's there. No blinking lights, no chimes, no cost.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 04-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #17
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

yes the light does continue to blink

i wink back- we've become friends!
Old 04-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
A small piece of electrical tape would help.