Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
Axle Seal?

Hi guys,

I just took my Yaris in to get an oil change service done at GM Goodwrench since they were having a $29.99 deal on oil changes.

Anyway, they do an inspection of your car for you while it's there and they told me that I need to "replace transmission left axle seal (found Transmission fluid seep)" words taken straight from the paperwork in front of me.

They quoted me $372.71 for this job. Is this a high price? Could I possibly find elsewhere to do it? Not that I don't trust Goodwrench service but getting work done at any sort of dealership is probably more expensive than another shop no?

Is this something I can easily do myself? I am.....moderate at car work and I don't have any exceptional tools. Just all the basic stuff like lots of different sockets, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc but no specialized automotive tools.

If it is just a seal that needs replacing (what is that, probably like a $20 part?) and a couple of hours of my own work then I would be more than willing to do it.

My car is almost at 80,000 KM so not sure if this is a common thing or what. I haven't had anything wrong thus far other than a mysteriously blown 30A fuse for the radiator fan which caused a mild overheating one day but other than that, nothing. Just oil changes and I did do one like 32,000 KM "Service" thing with Toyota quite a while back that ran me around $150-200 but I can't remember what it was. It was part of the scheduled service or something.

Love this forum always so very helpful. Thanks guys
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
its a bit high not sure what the labor rates are like in canada as compared to the rest of the states here but the book rate is probably about 1.5 hours. Multiple that by whatever the shops labor rate is. Its something that can be done at a tire shop usually their rates are less cause they pay their techs less. You can probably get it done for under 200 if you shop around. And at the same time get a second opinion. Ask them on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst how bad is the leak and how soon it needs to be done, it could be just moist around the seal and not even close the the point where its dripping yet.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
naossoan

Thanks for the reply. Standard rates in Canada I think are around $80 an hour so that should be around $120 if you're saying it's about an hour and a half. Is this something I could probably do myself though if I had the repair manual or some instructions?

This is my daily driver so I'd like to either do it myself or get it checked out as soon as possible. My dad knows a guy who runs a garage so maybe I should swing up there and get his opinion.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I wouldnt recommend trying it yourself if its something your not familiar with when removing the axle there is a chance the bearing inside might pop out within the knuckle and not notice until you try to drive the car also its going to be difficult without the use of a automotive lift it can be done its just a lot more work trying to do it on the ground. Remove the seal and installing it without the proper tools you can nick the transmission side where the seal goes in or install the seal incorrectly and then end up having to do the entire job over again its not worth the headache in my opinion.

If it were something on the engine side of things like spark plugs or a coil id say go for it
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
naossoan

Anyone?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Well..fluid seep is nothing compared to my documented, loosing a quart every 6 months. The seal from toyota picked up was 8 bucks, definitely get it fixed if you are leaking instead of just seeping.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Crawl under and have a look at it yourself. If there's oil seepage wipe it clean and recheck it in a week. If there's oil seepage again it's leaking, if there's nothing keep on truckin'
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
naossoan

Hmm, yes this seems like a reasonable suggestion lol.

When I have time I'll jack'er up and take a peek!

I don't think I'd be able to do the work myself by the soounds of it I will need like a seal puller and all this...

Thanks for your help
Old 06-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

You stick a flat head screw driver in and pry them out. Really easy. Then tap the new one in with a hammer nice and easy and it's done.

But most time they just weep like any seal will, it's normal.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
naossoan

Hey thanks for the info.

Here is a pic of it. Does this look serious or not?
Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Yeah that's a leak. Best to change it. It would be bad if the tranny ran too low on oil and you start to do damage to it.

If you don't have time you can check the oil level by opening the fill plug on the front side of the transmission. It's just a fill by level kind of check. Stick your finger in and feel for oil. Our transmission's take 75w-90 gear oil. GL4 if you can find it or a GL4/5 if you can't. If your just need a top up use cheap Canadian tire oil.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #12
naossoan

Ok where do I put oil in to refill it and where do I check the level at? What is that little plug thing you can see at the very bottom right of that picture? Is that the plug to actually drain the transmission oil or what?

It says "read owners manual before refilling" on it.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

If you look up on the side facing the front of the car you'll see another about half way up. You fill it until the oil is level with the hole. It's easiest to remove the airbox and work from the top.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
naossoan

Ahhh yes ok I see it there. The plug in my above picture is the drain plug, and that other one is the fill. Gotcha.

So how would I go about changing this seal out? From what I can fathom by looking at it, it would require me to undo the ball joints on the hub/spindle whatever you want to call it as to move it so the axle will come out of the side of the transmission.

Is this correct? Does the able just slide out of the transmission once free to do so or what.

I don't have any proper tools so I don't know if I would be able to do this myself or not. Well I have tools I just mean no ball join splitters, seal pullers, anything like that. Just standard wrenches, sockets etc
Old 07-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

You can get it out if you undo the strut from the hub. You'll need a long pry bar to pop the axle free of the circlip in the differential. Carefull not to pry on the thin metal shield on the CV joint right next to the seal. It's just a splash guard. It takes a lot of force to pop it free. I usually use a 24" pry bar and while I'm holding tension on it, I'll hit the pry bar in the same direction I'm pulling it to try and shock the clip free.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
naossoan

Hmm I was looking at the repair manual (found on micro image forum) and I think I will just get the shop to do it. I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

No worries. It's not an easy job unless you have some there who's really done it before.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
naossoan

Yeah I could see that. I can do minor stuff kind of no problem or the odd thing here and there. Like I installed my lowered springs myself (though it took me all day) but some of the more technical stuff I kinda have issues with.

My car is at 80,000 KM (50K miles) should I get the transmission oil flushed/replaced anyway? I thought I remember seeing in the manual that it should be done around this time anyway.

Edit: I found the scheduled service guide and at no point does it actually say to clean/flush and replace the transmission oil/fluid. It only says to "check" it. Kind of strange. I guess if it doesn't get dirty or doesn't look to be bad then they don't need to replace it. Hmmmm

Last edited by naossoan; 07-18-2013 at 05:09 PM.