Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
Exclamation A little warning

Ever had one of those HOLY CRAP moments when you almost did something really bad?

While removing my airbox yesterday (to install a Micro Image Short Shit Kit) one of the bolts that holds the airbox in fell out when I tilted it to remove it from the engine bay. I heard it make a funny clink sound and when I went to look for it I couldn't find it.

It wasn't under the car, wasn't anywhere on any of the splash shields, etc.... I almost decided to forget it, I mean the airbox will stay in with just one bolt. Something told me to look one more time and I glanced into the intake tube. There was the bolt, sitting right on the throttle plate!

If I had just forgotten the bolt and started the car up with that in the intake tract I would have completely SHREDDED my motor.

So this is just a little warning, always account for parts and always take your time. A very simple mistake could end up being incredibly costly.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
ouch. The Yaris seems to love hiding both parts and tools from me.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
I have a tendency to leave wrenches and/or sockets in interesting places under the hood of the yaris.

My car is WAY easier, because as long as I haven't removed the intercooler, it serves as my tool tray! I always know where to look
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
yikes...close call!

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
Way to go,always do a visual search....
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Never had this happen on a street car, but several times at the race track. One race weekend I lost the wing nut that held the air cleaner lid on my 1200 Civic IT car. Well during my first practice session I hear this God awful noise from under the car. When I get back to my pit space, I removed the baffel plates from my Super Trapp and theres that damn wing nut. I had dropped it in the carberator.

Several years later will racing at Charlotte Motor Speedway. I'm on track for qualifying, when coming out of turn 3B of the infeild road coarse I see a ratchet and short extension laying in the line on track. Well after a few laps it wasn't there any more, so I just forgot about it. Well once again after returning to the pit area, I ask my mechanic Tim to pull the plugs so we can check them. He looks in the tool box and says, I can't find the socket or even the ratchet and extension, wonder where they could be?

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
Just like a surgeon...make sure you have all your instruments before closing!
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
I dropped the 14 mm socket while installing the fuse for my soundsystem (on top of the existing fuse box).. I found it six months later when I removed the battery holder to install the short shifter ))
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
Another funny story....years ago I was all hot and sweaty working on my '92 Golf GTi and someone came up to talk to me. I leaned on the car and my right forearm went across both battery terminals.....OUCH doesn't even begin to explain it, lol.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Another funny story....years ago I was all hot and sweaty working on my '92 Golf GTi and someone came up to talk to me. I leaned on the car and my right forearm went across both battery terminals.....OUCH doesn't even begin to explain it, lol.
would you call your experience.....Shocking?

I had a 77 nova once upon a time, and after returning the engine to the engine bay, i was tightening a bolt by leaning over the engine and pulling, like i was trying to pull my whole body over the car. wrench slipped, fist and wrench hit nose, nose was sideways. it hurt even more when i straightened my nose back out :x

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote