Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
counting the days till I can drive it (my Yaris) again (Winter Rant)

Every year around this time I start to get the itch for some driving enjoyment.

Because I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (land of Igloos) , there are still several feet of snow on the ground and its probably going to be at least mid April before all the salt has washed off the roads (personally I refuse to drive any car that I care about during our brutally cold winter, and on roads covered in salt)

I'm over the Hump now (more months of non-driving are behind me than there are remaining) Comeon spring!!!!!!

Anyone else store their car through the winter? (and subsequently miss it) ??

Will

Last edited by 3cyltrbo; 02-26-2015 at 02:35 PM.
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Being from California, storing a car for the winter is a very interesting and unfamiliar concept. I assume you just rely on public transportation?
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
I'm from the suburbs of greater Toronto. More salt than snow. If you're parking streetside, then I feel sorry for you. But if you can always put it under a roof at night, then I say go for it, drive it in the snow and slush and brine. It makes you manlier.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Forgot to check what you drive. Well then, um, I feel for you. This situation is exactly why I didn't go for that MX-5 last summer.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Being from California, storing a car for the winter is a very interesting and unfamiliar concept. I assume you just rely on public transportation?
From what I understand from quite a few past posts, many people in Canada and in snowy northern parts of the U.S. have a 'winter beater car' for this time of year. The concept is unfamiliar to me as well. I've done a fair amount of traveling, but I've only once lived in a snowy area, Mammoth Lakes, CA. It was for one ski season, and I didn't drive around.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
From what I understand from quite a few past posts, many people in Canada and in snowy northern parts of the U.S. have a 'winter beater car' for this time of year. The concept is unfamiliar to me as well. I've done a fair amount of traveling, but I've only once lived in a snowy area, Mammoth Lakes, CA. It was for one ski season, and I didn't drive around.
That makes sense. I've seen posts about "winter setup" referring to different wheels/tires. Hadn't noticed the ones about having a second car altogether.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
What good to have a car and not drive it year round?
If I could afford a nice car, like an EVO or a GTR, it's going to be winter driven. Lol
But then, I'm probably not going to be a car keeper, change every 3-4years or something.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
3cyltrbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Because I live in the Capital and we have an extensive transit system, technically I could take the bus everywhere but instead I have a “WinterBeater” (2004 Pontiac Vibe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheekeebut View Post
I'm from the suburbs of greater Toronto. More salt than snow. If you're parking streetside, then I feel sorry for you. But if you can always put it under a roof at night, then I say go for it, drive it in the snow and slush and brine. It makes you manlier.
Always under a roof (in fact the current house was built in part to help alleviate having any of the toys outside and affected by any kind of weather)

Quote:
Forgot to check what you drive. Well then, um, I feel for you. This situation is exactly why I didn't go for that MX-5 last summer.
Actually it was the Yaris that sparked my post. I have other fun cars to drive as well, and they are also stored for the winter, but the one that I miss the most and the one that made me make this post is my Yaris. ***I changed the title of the thread to clear things up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
If I could afford a nice car, like an EVO or a GTR, it's going to be winter driven. Lol
But then, I'm probably not going to be a car keeper, change every 3-4years or something.
I’m the exact opposite. I love my Yaris, I’ve spent countless blood/sweat/tears/money getting it to where it is, and I enjoy it so much that I’d still like to be driving it 30 years from now (if they are still making and selling gasoline). Its only got about 20,000km's (13,000 miles) and its never seen cold weather nor snow and salt, so it should be around for a very long time. As for my other cars that are arguably more “appealing” (the MR2 and the Type R) , if I drove them through a winter(s), their value would be severely impacted.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:55 PM   #9
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
When I lived outside of Chicago, I always had a 'winter beater' - Bought one in October & sold it in April. Stored a few cars during the winters there:
1972 Chevelle Convertible
1986 Z-24
1988 Fiero Formula
1990 Corvette Convertible
Would never drive them in the snow & ice & salt & freezing & thawing & spinning tires & wreaking havoc on the transmission & you get the picture...!
Personally, I think if you want to keep a car or cars for a long period of time ('cause you really like them) in your winter climate, this is the only way to go.
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #10
sheekeebut
Minimalist

I, for a guy who can only drive one car, and with the means to only drive one car, have decided to drive that one car wherever my adventures lead me. My Yaris has seen much more than all my other previous cars combined, and doubtless the winter driving with it has taught me much more.

That's the best part about the Yaris, it's such a cheap car, that you could punish it, mod it, baby it, or even outright disrespect it, and no matter what kind of owner you are, I'm sure you'll still like it over many other cars in and out of its class.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I, for a guy who can only drive one car, and with the means to only drive one car, have decided to drive that one car wherever my adventures lead me. My Yaris has seen much more than all my other previous cars combined, and doubtless the winter driving with it has taught me much more.

That's the best part about the Yaris, it's such a cheap car, that you could punish it, mod it, baby it, or even outright disrespect it, and no matter what kind of owner you are, I'm sure you'll still like it over many other cars in and out of its class.
.....and on the opposite end of the spectrum.....

MSN - 10 Least reliable cars (per Consumer Reports...and MSN only lists 9)

1. Fiat 500L - 217% less reliable than average
2. Jeep Cherokee 4 Cylinder - 176% less reliable than average
3. Ford Fiesta - 162% less reliable than average
4. Nissan Pathfinder - 154% less reliable than average
5. Chevy Cruze 1.4T - 143% less reliable than average
6. Dodge Dart 1.4T - 140% less reliable than average
7. Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel - 134% less reliable than average
8. Infiniti Q50 - 127% less reliable than average
9. Mercedes Benz S-Class - 127% less reliable than average

The article plus (ranking = via slideshow) also indicated that the least reliable Fiat 500L is 16 TIMES more likely to have problems than the car at the opposite end of the spectrum...the Scion xB.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos...ars/ss-BBezB2q
Old 03-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #12
Darkhorse6

Drives: 08 5dr HB
as much as i hate a salt brine covered car, this post makes me laugh. My Yaris will be driven until the wheels fall off, rain or shine.
Darkhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #13
sheekeebut
Minimalist

I'm sure that even if that happened, you'd somehow be able to keep driving it. The number of rusted, dinged and dented Echos and Yarises I see zipping around Peel region is testament to their cockroach-like resilience.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:22 AM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
cockroach-like resilience.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #15
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
My thoughts exactly. I've had hi-po cars that I've stashed away in the winter in favour of a ratty winter beater. The Yaris is a nice winter beater.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #16
3cyltrbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
My thoughts exactly. I've had hi-po cars that I've stashed away in the winter in favour of a ratty winter beater. The Yaris is a nice winter beater.
Personally I'm just a small car guy (love em) and for me, I've done a lot of stuff to mine (relatively speaking) and I love that every spring when I bring it out, its as clean as it is. One winter of driving in -40deg C and caked on road salt would undue all the care and attention I've paid to it over the years and for me that's not worth it .

I want to be able to still drive this car 15 years from now (it would be 20 years old then) and enjoy it like I do today. That simply would not be possible if I winter drove it.

Also I'm a stickler for a clean engine compartment, I like to think that mine is at least as clean as when it was brand new / but this is another area (engine compartment) that would take a beating if I drove it in the winter.

All of this is made easier by the fact that I'm not obligated to drive my fun cars because I'm lucky enough to have a reliable winter beater.

To each their own I guess

WC
Old 03-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #17
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo View Post
Personally I'm just a small car guy (love em) and for me, I've done a lot of stuff to mine (relatively speaking) and I love that every spring when I bring it out, its as clean as it is. One winter of driving in -40deg C and caked on road salt would undue all the care and attention I've paid to it over the years and for me that's not worth it .

I want to be able to still drive this car 15 years from now (it would be 20 years old then) and enjoy it like I do today. That simply would not be possible if I winter drove it.

Also I'm a stickler for a clean engine compartment, I like to think that mine is at least as clean as when it was brand new / but this is another area (engine compartment) that would take a beating if I drove it in the winter.

All of this is made easier by the fact that I'm not obligated to drive my fun cars because I'm lucky enough to have a reliable winter beater.

To each their own I guess

WC
I can appreciate that. But personally, when the supercharger comes in at -20C, does it ever make power. Can't get that big a smile in the sweltering summer heat.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:19 AM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
.....and on the opposite end of the spectrum.....

MSN - 10 Least reliable cars (per Consumer Reports...and MSN only lists 9)

1. Fiat 500L - 217% less reliable than average
2. Jeep Cherokee 4 Cylinder - 176% less reliable than average
3. Ford Fiesta - 162% less reliable than average
4. Nissan Pathfinder - 154% less reliable than average
5. Chevy Cruze 1.4T - 143% less reliable than average
6. Dodge Dart 1.4T - 140% less reliable than average
7. Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel - 134% less reliable than average
8. Infiniti Q50 - 127% less reliable than average
9. Mercedes Benz S-Class - 127% less reliable than average

The article plus (ranking = via slideshow) also indicated that the least reliable Fiat 500L is 16 TIMES more likely to have problems than the car at the opposite end of the spectrum...the Scion xB.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos...ars/ss-BBezB2q
The 'Best and Worst of 2015' Consumer Reports 'Book" is on sale now at Barnes and Noble....

Compact Car: Most Reliable - Scion xD
Least Reliable - Fiat 500L

Sub-Compact Car: Most Reliable - Toyota Yaris
Least Reliable - Ford Fiesta