Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Dec24th

Drives: '10 Yaris 3 door HB
Roof Rack

I installed a roof rack on the Yaris. Now my Yaris is awesome.
I parked next to a white Yaris and met the driver thereafter. She loved my car and I loved her car.
Attached Images

Dec24th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
nice! whats the brand and where did you get it?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Yeah I want one oh so much! i have been looking for a 2-door-compatible roof-rack

oh wait you didn't have to drill any holes did you? because thats a deal breaker for me...I don't like drilling holes... incase I one day change my mind and don't want it anymore lol.
bkndacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #4
Dec24th

No, I did not drill any holes for the roof rack. I will never do that :)
I decided to go with the Thule system for no particular reason.
The whole rack system cost me a little over $400 USD (without accessories). Here are the websites I used for anyone interested:

TreeFortBikes.com - for the Thule 400 XTR Foot Pack (~$150) 400 XT is a good alternative.
Carracksdirect.com - for the Thule 2196 Fit Kit and the Thule 477 Short Roof Adapter (~$150). The adapter is the bar running lengthwise. It positions the rear cross bar farther (or further) back for longer and heavier loads such as a kayak, canoe or maybe a Smart Car.
petracycles.co.uk - for the locks for the Thule system. With my setup, I needed 6 locks. A 12 pack lock system from this UK retailer only cost $55USD. A 4-pack lock system in a US retailer is about $50. I highly recommend this site to save some cash on those expensive locks.
eBay - for the Rapid Aero Bars (~$60)

It took me 6 weeks to get all of my products together. One item was back-ordered for 3 weeks so I purchased it from a different retailer.
Fairing to come soon, et al.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I used to haul a canoe around alot, and never saw one hauled rightside up like that! Always hauled with the flat top on the roof rack. That looks really hard on the keel of the boat!! Seems like it would deform it. I like the rack though, wondered if one would fit. I've since sold the canoe, after 18 years of abuse....lol
Old 06-22-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
Dec24th

I haul it upside down now. Those photos were the first few minutes my kayak was on the rack, so I tightened everything out of fear and safety first. I wasn't sure how the car was going to handle it. Those foam pads aren't even necessary for the load bars.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Looks really cool! I've always wanted a roof rack, especially now with our smaller cars.

You might need to add this last final touch though (more $)

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote