Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2007, 02:07 AM   #1
hans_fh

Drives: Yaris
Engine oil ddi not come out

Sorry for my poor English since my first language is German

Last Friday, I changed the engine oil myself. Before I changed the oil, I drove the car for ten minutes at 40 MPH to get it warm up.

Then, I take the filter away and wait for the oil come out.

However, only a little oil came out and no more....

I had been waiting for 10 minutes but the oil did not come out.

I had no idea what was going on. So that I had to start the engine and then all the oil came out. I turned off the engine when I thought all the oil came out.

I know it is bad for the engine, but I am curious why the oil did not come out...

I use MOBIL 1 Synthetic.

Thanks a lot!
hans_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:18 AM   #2
sleuzze

Drives: Yaris Sedan
To change your oil...

1. You can run the engine a little but try not to run it to full operating temp before changing oil.
2. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the engine that you must remove.
3. You can take off oil cap on the top of the crankcase to let air in which will aid in draining the oil a bit faster.
4. After oil is drained, put drain plug back in and tighten, remove old filter, put a tiny bit of new oil on your finger and rub it on the o-ring of the new filter and install.
5. Add proper amount of oil.
sleuzze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:56 AM   #3
hans_fh

I know what I did wrong: I just remove the filter to wait the oil come out.... I did not remove the drain plug.....

Is this bad for the car if I start the engine and let the oil come out from the filter?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm so stupid!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:04 AM   #4
sleuzze

I dont know if you did any damage to the engine but do NOT run an engine without oil. EVER! You will damage the engine at some point. If you dont know what you are doing, oil changes are pretty cheap. just go to a reputable place. google how to do an oil change. Im sure you will find detailed instructions. The instructions i gave you are the basics.

Try this
Old 09-11-2007, 03:15 AM   #5
hans_fh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleuzze View Post
I dont know if you did any damage to the engine but do NOT run an engine without oil. EVER! You will damage the engine at some point. If you dont know what you are doing, oil changes are pretty cheap. just go to a reputable place. google how to do an oil change. Im sure you will find detailed instructions. The instructions i gave you are the basics.

Try this
Thanks for your help!

I actually know how to change oil and I did it several times. However, I don't know why I forgot to remove the oil drain screw this time, so that I have to start the engine to let the oil go out....

I know it is harmful, but I had no other choices....

Again, I'm so angry with myself..
Old 09-11-2007, 03:19 AM   #6
sleuzze

no prob.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Hey, don't feel bad!

I know a guy that took 3 hours to change the oil in his Toyota MR2........

because he was pouring the oil back into the engine through the dip stick hole!

~YR
Old 09-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
alhope34
Spool'd

Drives: 07 yaris, 16 gen coupe rspec
Haha, when I still worked at the Toyota dealership, one of the apprentices forgot to put an oil filter on a Tercel after changing the oil and drove out of the shop with a huge trail of oil behind him all the way down the shop floor. Had to push the car back in to put oil in it again, and the whole shop had to stop and help clean the spill. It was huge.
alhope34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
On the floor, a quart of oil looks like Exxon Valdez all over again. I can imagine a whole change's worth...
Old 09-13-2007, 11:29 PM   #10
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Drives: 07 Gerbil Powered Hatchback
That is funny. It reminds me of a time that I put transmission fluid into the power steering. That really sucked. I also failed to tighten the gas cap on a car and the engine light came on. Took it to the mechanic and they looked it over for about an hour and a half before they check the gas cap. Didn't get charged, cause they felt dumber than me, I guess. Haven't been back to that mechanic by the way.
umm_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:53 PM   #11
alhope34
Spool'd

Drives: 07 yaris, 16 gen coupe rspec
Transmission fluid should work in the power steering. It's all just hydraulic fluid. At the dealership we used the standard transmission oil that came down in bulk from the ceiling for the power steering. Auto transmissions got the special AT-4 Toyota transmission oil that came in the 1L bottles.
alhope34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:27 AM   #12
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Hanz, spreche ich Deutsches, ich übersetze für dich, wenn du brauchst.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:29 AM   #13
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Ich habe AMSoil 0w-30 in meiner Maschine und AMSoil 75w-90 in meinem Getriebe, liebe ich es. Das Ändern der Getriebeflüssigkeit zum Chemiefasergewebe bildet Verschiebungen viel glatter.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:30 AM   #14
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Drives: 07 Gerbil Powered Hatchback
That great moments in my automotive judgment was all done in a Merc Tracer, and my step dad insisted I then take it to a mechanic and pay a fair lump of money to supposedly flush things. I guess if it would not have been a problem, that mechanic was smarter than I thought...
umm_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #15
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
make sure to tighten it back on.

I had my nissan sentra serviced at a dealership and they changed the oil but forgot to tighten the cap back on.. no one realized it and then I drove a bit and suddenly the check oil light came on and then my car died completely.. had to get a completely new engine and everything.

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #16
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryberry View Post
make sure to tighten it back on.

I had my nissan sentra serviced at a dealership and they changed the oil but forgot to tighten the cap back on.. no one realized it and then I drove a bit and suddenly the check oil light came on and then my car died completely.. had to get a completely new engine and everything.
they saw you coming...
Old 01-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #17
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
HAHAHAHA THIS IS A CLASSIC....ITS FUNNY..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #18
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhope34 View Post
Haha, when I still worked at the Toyota dealership, one of the apprentices forgot to put an oil filter on a Tercel after changing the oil and drove out of the shop with a huge trail of oil behind him all the way down the shop floor. Had to push the car back in to put oil in it again, and the whole shop had to stop and help clean the spill. It was huge.
I had an 88 Toyota truck which I changed the oil in over 40 times. The 25th change I forgot to put the new filter back on. When I started the truck the oil preasure gauge never rose. I pumped 2 quarts on the garage floor before I realized what I had done. What a mess. I pushed the truck out of the garage and by that time the tires had run over the oil. One of the few times in life that I was glad my wife had cats. I got a 50lb bag of litter made a containment ring around the spill. It took an hour or 2 to clean up the oil.