Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
choppa

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
2007 Yaris: looks like I only have a "valet" key. Options?

New user. Read a few threads on the forum, grabbed the technical manuals (read through the electrical one for the ECU). Still not 100% sure on what to do. Here's my situation.

Purchased a 2007 Yaris, excellent condition, from the other side of the country (I'm in Australia). Owner was a Californian here for work; he's now returned to the US - nice guy, got a great deal on the car.

Problem I ran into however (and I didn't realise this at the time when I bought it) was that the only key supplied to me was the dreaded grey valet key. It can start the car, open/close all the locks (Yaris 3dr hatchback, so drivers side, passenger's side, and boot locks). However, from all the reading, I'm under the impression that I'm stuffed trying to get another key.

I went to a Toyota dealership and they flat out told me when I showed them the grey key that I'm going to have to spend $1,800 AUD to get a new ECU + keys... that's just crazy money!

Does anyone know if there's a way I can program the transponder to accept a new key (say a nice cheap Dealextreme Toyota 4C key, after its cut) to work as well?

I was hoping there'd be a way to force the system into programming mode via the OBD2 port (not that I have any OBD tools yet, but am considering buying the Bluetooth EM327 OBD2 device from Dealextreme).

Anyone have any suggestions? Highly appreciated, as I would like a second set of keys (and it'd be great if I could buy some after market remote control to get the key-less entry working too).

For the record, the car has an immobiliser and I'm pretty sure it has key-less entry too, however the previous owner stated he didn't have / couldn't find any of those keys.
choppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
We doesnt has chipped keys for our Yaris's in the States.

Thank Heaven!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
We doesnt has chipped keys for our Yaris's in the States.

Thank Heaven!
yup, sure do. my 08 has chipped keys. Don't know about there, but here in the States Toyota will replace said ignition immobilizer ECU ONE TIME for free in case of lost keys, etc.
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
choppa

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
No such luck here in Australia... everything here is astronomically expensive and any kind of work costs stupendous amounts.

As my luck would have it, I've received an email from the previous owner saying that some keys have been found in a box in Vegas, so they'll be getting them to me next month :D
choppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppa View Post
No such luck here in Australia... everything here is astronomically expensive and any kind of work costs stupendous amounts.

As my luck would have it, I've received an email from the previous owner saying that some keys have been found in a box in Vegas, so they'll be getting them to me next month :D
Let's hope they are the right keys!
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppa View Post
New user. Read a few threads on the forum, grabbed the technical manuals (read through the electrical one for the ECU). Still not 100% sure on what to do. Here's my situation.

Purchased a 2007 Yaris, excellent condition, from the other side of the country (I'm in Australia). Owner was a Californian here for work; he's now returned to the US - nice guy, got a great deal on the car.

Problem I ran into however (and I didn't realise this at the time when I bought it) was that the only key supplied to me was the dreaded grey valet key. It can start the car, open/close all the locks (Yaris 3dr hatchback, so drivers side, passenger's side, and boot locks). However, from all the reading, I'm under the impression that I'm stuffed trying to get another key.

I went to a Toyota dealership and they flat out told me when I showed them the grey key that I'm going to have to spend $1,800 AUD to get a new ECU + keys... that's just crazy money!

Does anyone know if there's a way I can program the transponder to accept a new key (say a nice cheap Dealextreme Toyota 4C key, after its cut) to work as well?

I was hoping there'd be a way to force the system into programming mode via the OBD2 port (not that I have any OBD tools yet, but am considering buying the Bluetooth EM327 OBD2 device from Dealextreme).

Anyone have any suggestions? Highly appreciated, as I would like a second set of keys (and it'd be great if I could buy some after market remote control to get the key-less entry working too).

For the record, the car has an immobiliser and I'm pretty sure it has key-less entry too, however the previous owner stated he didn't have / couldn't find any of those keys.

Unfortunately you need a "Master key" to be able to register any additional ones. Even with the TechStream tool (a regular OBDII tool can't do anything) you need to have a master key.

My suggestion would be to either buy an ECM off ebay from a 2007 or 2008 that has the same transmission and abs configuration as your car and does not have the engine immobilizer, or buy an ECM, with set of keys from one with the same config that had the immobilizer. If you do the latter, you can buy some additional keys and get them cut to match your key and then use a master key to program your new keys into the system.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
So...my 2009 doesnt have the chipped key. Why not? was it an option?

Frankly I would be looking for another car to buy if the Yaris comes with a chipped key.

Wheres the threat of theft for a Yaris?
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
So...my 2009 doesnt have the chipped key. Why not? was it an option?

Frankly I would be looking for another car to buy if the Yaris comes with a chipped key.

Wheres the threat of theft for a Yaris?
I would have bet $$ that all USDM yaris would be chipped, especially 09+ (I've never seen one that wasn't). what does your key look like?
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #9
Brucetwa
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 yaris
2007 yaris keys

I own a 2007 yaris and lost my only key
I also have been quoted a huge price to purchase and install a new computer to get past the engine immobilizer
I was just wondering if you ever found a way around the ridiculous "replace computer " scenario for lost keys?
Thanks
Bruce
Brucetwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucetwa View Post
I own a 2007 yaris and lost my only key

I also have been quoted a huge price to purchase and install a new computer to get past the engine immobilizer

I was just wondering if you ever found a way around the ridiculous "replace computer " scenario for lost keys?

Thanks

Bruce

Is your 07 a Yaris or Vitz? The 07 Yaris did not have transponder keys, so Toyota should be able to cut a new key for you without having the original.

If your ignition switch is all metal (as opposed to having a metal center and a plastic outer) you definitely do not have transponder keys.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #11
bassmannate

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Just fyi, 2008 sedan had immobilizer as an option. I believe by 2009 it was standard like just about every other modern car.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
bassmannate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:23 AM   #12
superduc

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan s
My 2007 yaris s sedan didn't come with keyless entry. No immobilizer. I installed 1 way viper alarm and fixed those issues
superduc is offline   Reply With Quote