Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
j3002

Drives: 2008 Yaris 1.3 VVT-i 4dr
AC Troubleshoot

I have a 2008 Yaris with a non-working AC. The shop said that it's most likely a faulty compressor but I'd rather be sure before I go on replacing it.

The AC light comes on when I press the button but nothing happens. Looking under the hood, I can see the compressor pulley spinning, and I imagine the pulley should move closer to the compressor unit when the AC button is pressed?

Is there a way to troubleshoot this? I'm not very knowledgeable on car maintenance.
j3002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
With most compressors, there should be a visible change in how the pulley looks when it is engaged. Typically instead of just the outer portion spinning, the entire shaft will be spinning.

First test is to check the pressures in the system. If they're off (typically low) the compressor will not engage to protect itself. However, if the compressor has grenaded, you will need to replace the drier and flush the entire system to ensure it hasn't thrown crap into the system that will ruin the next compressor (many warranties on new compressors require your receipt also include a new condenser, as those are tough to clean out well---you should consider it toasted if the compressor is bad).

There's some good howtos out there. I don't know if you can get the refrigerant to complete the work without a license in Finland, but there's also alternatives for that. Much safer alternatives than filling it with propane and butane, which was the old backyard mechanic method. :)
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:54 AM   #3
j3002

Drives: 2008 Yaris 1.3 VVT-i 4dr
Thanks for your reply.

What I'm trying to avoid here is replacing the compressor and then finding out the AC still doesn't work. Maybe the compressor itself is not even faulty. Is there a control unit for the compressor and is there an easy way to check if it works?

When I took it to the shop the first thing they did was refill the system and check the pressure. It all checked out so then they figured it must be a faulty compressor. The compressor doesn't look like it's engaging when the AC button is pressed. I am most certainly not trying to fill up the system myself :) I just want to know what the root cause is.

Also, what's the life expectancy of a compressor? I see a lot of salvaged parts that are the same age as my car — would I be better off with a refurbished part? It's about three times the price difference.
j3002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:12 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
It might be a faulty pressure switch or bad connection.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you can get someone to plug in a Toyota Techstream diagnostic tool, the AC ECU will report why it isn't happy.