Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
Burning Smell

Since last night, the heater started smelling like something was burning. At first, I though it was a friend's deisel truck next to me, but when I was driving, noticed that it was my car.

Now I opened the engine bay and no smell in there and went behind and nothing. When I checked the the ehaust tip, I don't know if it's me but I thought that the exhaust wasn't blowing out as hard as it normally does.

The car is 2 years old and I have never experienced anything like this before. Only time I have (in terms of a smell different to this) was with the A/C, but making my own filter for the blower took care of that (which I did through a DIY on here before the hack).

Only other thing I can think of is if the stupid speedbumps at work somehow managed to pinch the exhaust without me hearing anything (have heard it twice, but nothing recent). I was going to jack the car up today to check, but it was raining. I'm gonna check tomorrow and if that's the case, then time to upgrade to the Nitto midpipe.

I have no idea. Anyone else experience something like this before?

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
Mordarvia

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Does It Smell Electrical?
Mordarvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Have you hit your exhaust on speedbumps? I suppose you could damage the seal between the header and midpipe creating a leak...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
I'm thinking it might be the coolant reacting with "scale/rust/particulate/whatever" in the heater core for the hvac unit.....least thats what I always notice when I turn the heater on for like the two or three days out of the year I use it....just give it a few days to 'flush' it out; if it doesn't go away then its off to the dealer....

unless the hvac doesn't use coolant for the heater part I dunno I haven't messed with this car's hvac yet....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Have you got loose papers in your drivers side glovebox? If so they can get sucked into the AC/Heater fan. It could cause a fire. My suggestion have a look.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
I ran over a speed bump in a previous car and smashed the cat converter. 2 days later the damn thing caught on fire.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordarvia View Post
Does It Smell Electrical?
Nope. Unless it's literally under the dash, checked everything I could see and all seems to be well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Have you hit your exhaust on speedbumps? I suppose you could damage the seal between the header and midpipe creating a leak...
I have two times in terms of hearing something, but don't believe it did. Like I said before, I was gonna check yesterday, but it was raining outside. As long as the rain holds out today, I'm gonna jack it up and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
I'm thinking it might be the coolant reacting with "scale/rust/particulate/whatever" in the heater core for the hvac unit.....least thats what I always notice when I turn the heater on for like the two or three days out of the year I use it....just give it a few days to 'flush' it out; if it doesn't go away then its off to the dealer....

unless the hvac doesn't use coolant for the heater part I dunno I haven't messed with this car's hvac yet....
I haven't flushed the system yet since I bought the car (normally I did every year with previous cars). It might be but wouldn't that smell different and sweet rather than a burning smell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
Have you got loose papers in your drivers side glovebox? If so they can get sucked into the AC/Heater fan. It could cause a fire. My suggestion have a look.
No, all papers are in the box securely. Plus I placed a filter there so it can't get sucked in even if the cover fell off. I have a carbon one and checked it to see if it was it, but no go.

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online

Last edited by echo_hrs; 11-24-2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: conduct
Old 11-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Were you by any chance running the heat for the first time this season?

Also, did the smell go away (and, if so after how long)?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyz View Post
I haven't flushed the system yet since I bought the car (normally I did every year with previous cars). It might be but wouldn't that smell different and sweet rather than a burning smell?
Yes, if your heater core was seeping at all you'd notice a sweet smell, and probably would notice that your windows were fogging, plus fluid leaking on the mat and/or on the ground if the leak was bad enough.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Yeah nah, deff not a sweet smell.

Well after 3 days, the smell seems to have gone away.

Basically I let the car run and blow as stated by Shroomster. Still gonna look under the car just incase, but it seems to have done the trick. It was just weird that it had happened out of the blue. All 5 of my previous cars never did anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Were you by any chance running the heat for the first time this season?
No been running it for about a a month to two months.

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
Old 11-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyz View Post
Yeah nah, deff not a sweet smell.

Well after 3 days, the smell seems to have gone away.

Basically I let the car run and blow as stated by Shroomster. Still gonna look under the car just incase, but it seems to have done the trick. It was just weird that it had happened out of the blue. All 5 of my previous cars never did anything like that.

No been running it for about a a month to two months.
My civic does the same thing

and I remember in school the heaters would have dust on the coils from being in storage and you could smell the dust burning off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREYZ
actually I didn't mean to flush the coolant system I meant give it a few days of using the heat to flush out the smell

and yeah the sweet smell would be a leak because that smell stays with the coolant

the burning smell is an end result of the reaction.....

Last edited by Shroomster; 11-14-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
vios7
Guy Next Door

Drives: Vios S Sedan
2 possibility ..from engine or exhaust. sometime i also burning smell when raining. confused
vios7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Did you get married recently? Every time one of my friends gets married we do the traditional decorating of the get away car. We usually get a can of sardines and put it up under the dash so after a few days it gets to smelling pretty bad. Maybe someone is playing a joke on you?
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #14
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Maybe something, like a small rodent, or a bug of some sort, got into the engine bay or heater area and it cooked itself on he engine or whatever. If it has gone away, that might have been it, and you would probably never find it because it would either be burnt to a crisp or may have fallen off or even fell into one of those neat spots in the frame section where things disapear.

Just a side note, I thought the joke was funny, but could have been followed up in the same message with something helpful. We all need to smile and laugh. Especially now-a-days. Drive On!
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:22 PM   #15
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Here's a funny thing. The night that this all started on, it happened again tonight a week later. Found out that it's the fog light system fuse. For some reason it has to do with the inline fuse.

I have the DLAA aftermarket ones. I connected it exactly to the DIY that was written before the hack with v2 so that I can get the foglight indicator on the cluster to work. Anyone else with the same fogs experience this?

Now I'm gonna have to go through the connections again.

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #16
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
dlaa, is that the ebay version? i remember htm yaris having problem with the ebay yellow fog lights...
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:36 AM   #17
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
what size bulbs are you running in your fogs,
as the yaris prewired setup is only designed for 50watt max,
wireing is to light to run anything bigger safely.
just a thought.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 AM   #18
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
I would start the car and let it warm-up. Then the second I would smell the burn, I would pop open the hood and sniff around for the same smell. If it's there too, then it's gotta be exhaust heat that's either too close to or it's coming in contact to something near the cabin air intake. I would then take care of it ASAP because I would be convinced that there's damage to somewhere in the exhaust line (possibly a hole or a knocked-loose connection), which could be causing more damage to something else since there's a burning smell. I would try not to drive the car until it's fixed just to be safe.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote