Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
jkonrath

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
And another one bites the dust

Crap. Was driving to work yesterday, and some jackhole changes lanes in front of the SUV in front of me quick, and a split second later, traffic is stopped, but I'm not, and CRUNCH.

The good news: I am not hurt. Airbags did not deploy (I was going maybe 30, but hit at a weird angle.) No apparent suspension damage. No frame damage. No leaking fluids. No glass damage. No metal outside of the front clip was damaged. And the CPA that pushed me to the side didn't scratch up my rear bumper.

The bad news: the aircleaner box evaporated, and everything on the driver's side of the engine bay is askew. Radiator support is all bent up.

Anxiously awaiting the call from the insurance adjuster as my baby sits alone at a body shop. Break it to me gently - do you guys think it's a total? It's an 08 with 18,000 miles - otherwise in excellent shape. I'm guessing the KBB value is like $11K? $12K? I still owe $8500. I would love more than anything to just not have a car for six weeks and get her back. If I walk away with a couple grand and no second car payment anymore (but higher insurance) I will survive. But man, I love this car!!!

Side note: I get home and find out Angels rookie pitcher Nick Adenhart got in a wreck just hours before and was killed. So, some perspective there.
Attached Images

jkonrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
I am glad you are not hurt, but if that happened here in Ontario you would have been at fault for driving too close. Just sayin'.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Ouch. If it were my car and it wasn't totaled I would still consider it damaged goods and look at getting a new one. In my experience it's tough to break even with insurance companies after accidents.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Thats a tough one to call, But I'll vote repairable. Need harness, bat, TB, intake, MAF, Hood, Fender , bumper cover, fusebox, relay box. Its close!
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
ouchies, look at that hood...... surely it was faster than 30? :O didnt realize the hood was that flimsy.

lookin like a total.... but who knows.
you gonna get another 08 yaris?
If i totaled my car i wouldnt get an 09' i prefer the 07-08 look.

sorry this happend to you, I know how you feel i wreckd mine last year (3k later and im a lot more grateful).

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
SailDesign

Drives: .
Dang! Lot of that going around recently. Glad you'e OK
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
definitely hit the car at a weird angle. and by the braking down force, you kinda slid the air bag sensor under the car infront of you..

glad you are ok~

Yar1s: well, a hood is not made to be rigid. it is made to bend up and crush without sliding back into the car. It sure would not look like that if the bumper hit straight in front.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
evil genius

Drives: 09 Yaris S 3dr
Sorry about the accident, at least you are okay.
Good luck, with the repairs or the new car.
evil genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
No air bag deployment bothers me but without the airbags going off she should be repairable. I would repair her then trade her. I never trust any car again after damage like that. Especially with the unibody construction, it's to easy to tweak it and not get it right again.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
41magmag41

But glad your ok.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
or fix it and sell it to me lulz
mr9865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
No air bag deployment bothers me but without the airbags going off she should be repairable. I would repair her then trade her. I never trust any car again after damage like that. Especially with the unibody construction, it's to easy to tweak it and not get it right again.

The crash sensor/airbag deployment sensor was barely missed. see it here ( I believe that is what this box is)
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #13
41magmag41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
The crash sensor/airbag deployment sensor was barely missed. see it here ( I believe that is what this box is)

I would have thought she would have had more than one sensor located throughout the engine bay.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #14
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Thats what you would call a close call .
glad your okay , the yaris on the other hand looks very sick .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #15
jkonrath

Just got off the phone with the body shop - they have it torn down and said it's not as bad as it looks. Nose, sheet metal, radiator, condenser, but the only thing that happened engine-wise was a crack of the intake manifold. (Plastic? Weird.)

He did give a total guess estimate of 8-9K - not sure how close that is with the insurance company, but I hope they can work with me, maybe get some used parts, and not total it. I am hoping they say the car is worth $12K and work with me.

I'm closing on a new house at the end of the month, so it's the worst possible timing on this, and I can't jump into a new car until I recover from closing and moving costs. If she ends up a total, I'll probably wait out the summer and then maybe see what the '10s look like. Fingers crossed though - I really do love this car!
Old 04-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #16
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
That is pretty much as screwed up as a Yaris gets without being totaled. Glad you're OK.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
jkonrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
That is correct. It's that little white box. I think there are a couple, maybe one on each side? The guy's bumper did hit high, and my frame must have dipped low when I hit the brakes. Sheer luck, though. Everyone at the shop was looking at it in amazement that the airbags didn't deploy.

That said, it scares me a bit that if that SUV had a 4" lift kit, that bumper would have hit me eye-level and I wouldn't be typing right now...
Old 04-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #18
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkonrath View Post
Just got off the phone with the body shop - they have it torn down and said it's not as bad as it looks. Nose, sheet metal, radiator, condenser, but the only thing that happened engine-wise was a crack of the intake manifold. (Plastic? Weird.)

He did give a total guess estimate of 8-9K - not sure how close that is with the insurance company, but I hope they can work with me, maybe get some used parts, and not total it. I am hoping they say the car is worth $12K and work with me.

I'm closing on a new house at the end of the month, so it's the worst possible timing on this, and I can't jump into a new car until I recover from closing and moving costs. If she ends up a total, I'll probably wait out the summer and then maybe see what the '10s look like. Fingers crossed though - I really do love this car!

i may be wrong, but cant they total a car like the yaris for $8-9k even if they value it higher? so, ins company could total it and still give you 11-12k. since you owe $8500 that could be a few thousand in your pocket. id say that is preferable to having it fixed (poorly, as is often the case). even if you dont want to buy a new car, a few grand would buy you a car that would be quite usable for a year or two.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote