Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Snappy

Drives: 2 Yaris Hatchbacks
Coolant Smell after sitting in hot sun?

So, I liked my 2007 Hatch so much that I bought a second one used. Have had it for about three weeks. Recently became aware of a coolant smell after the car has sat in the sun for a while. Weather here just reaching the 70s-80s now, nothing too hot. Took it for a drive last evening, no smell. Went back to the car after I had been back for about an hour, no smell. This morning, went out, car in sun, opened door, coolant smell. Level in radiator overflow tank seems to have dropped 3/4 inch since I have had the car. If you unsnap the panel under the steering column, you can see the side of the heater core, and the connected metal water lines. No apparent dampness there. The car is a little darker in color than my other one, old one Meteorite, new one Bayou Blue, and the darker color does seem to soak up the sun a bit more. Beginnings of a leak in the heater core? Why doesn't it smell while I am driving? Anyone think of any other path for coolant smells into the cabin? (No puddles, drips, or visible wetness underhood or under the car.) The car was certified, and the original warrantee is still in effect for another month, so I will take it to the dealer. Heater core replacement seems to be a lot of work with the Hatch, requiring removal of the steering column as well as the windshield wipers and the whole dash according to the manual, so best I let the techs do it! Anybody have any input?
Snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
put a large piece of cardboard under the car overnight, check it when you come out in the morning, and see if it is leaking underneath.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
well... if you mean a damp moist smell... then we have covered that before... other than not having a cabin air filter... something else causes it.. easy fix... unless u mean something else.

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
I've had the same problem with mine since new. It's been in to the dealer 4 times, they replaced the heater core and it still does it.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote