Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-25-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Ignition Amplifiers

Does anyone have one of these? Are they any good? The advertising sounds quite good, but most of the times if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is BS...
I found them through one of the websites suggested on this forum:
http://www.performancecenter.com/ignition-amplifiers
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
garbage.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
Reddog99

Drives: '08 Yaris
MSD is a good quality product but is not needed or intended for most modern vehicles. These were hot stuff back in the days when cars came with a mechanical points ignition systems, but they don't do anything for a modern car and would be a waste of money on a Yaris.
Reddog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
If you're running crazy high boost (like 30psi and up) on a very big and powerful turbo with loads of race fuel, on an engine revving like crazy, making 700wheel HP and up, you will need an ignition amplifier.

OR if you run a stand-alone ECU that converts your ignition system into a wasted-spark ignition system (like the AEM EMS Gen1 PnP ECU), you will need an ignition amplifier to make it easier, otherwise spend close to eternity finding the right dwell settings.
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
1) it only takes about 3kv to spark a plug

2) it doesnt matter how much spark is there, the fuel will ignite, the piston will move down, and the engine will run

3) unless it's a timing change it will do nothing for engine performance...believe me. please
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
yarhead

Drives: 07 hatch
pulstar????

interesting subject! hmm, interesting argument and well expressed. ok, how about this spark plugs here.. these, seem to make sense but how much of a spark does a cylinder filled with gas and air mixture need to completely burn the mixture. and, are they necessery on these advanced modern engines?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pulstar1.jpg (19.0 KB, 195 views)
File Type: gif pulstar2.gif (34.8 KB, 193 views)
Old 08-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i've seen these before in magazines all over cars/trucks/off-road. never had anyone i met use them before...but for the price (about 20 each) they better last forever and double my fuel economy...as well as add about 25 hp.

seriously. you can only come so close to a perfect burn ratio of 14:1. lean mode is 17:1 and power enrichment mode is somewhere near 11 or 12:1. lean mode is used only for slowing down or idling down, lean mode if done longer would burn up pistons. power enrichment mode is there to make sure there's plenty of fuel to burn, not all of it will and that's why the cat is there. you need more fuel to make more power and at WOT you need some extra so you dont backfire, lean miss, or maintain power (as in maintain speed, not increase power/speed).

so, with that said, looks to me like someone need some tuning, and a wideband o2 sensor, not a spark plug
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
Reddog99

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
1) it only takes about 3kv to spark a plug

2) it doesnt matter how much spark is there, the fuel will ignite, the piston will move down, and the engine will run

3) unless it's a timing change it will do nothing for engine performance...believe me. please
Regarding spark voltage, that's not exactly right. The voltage required to jump the gap depends on the pressure in the combustion chamber at that time: more pressure requires more voltage. That's why an engine with a weak spark system can run OK at low speeds and start missing at high RPM or under load. So for example, although 3kv might be sufficient to spark a plug at idle, 40kv or more might be required for a spark to jump a gap at full throttle & high RPM.
Reddog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #9
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
So I think its prety much what he said in a way it will run anyways, however he didnt mention anything about driving it, and yes it is going to drive but you are going to feel the diffrence in the motor even still with low volatage or if it was to have a bad spark

If I am understanding what SEVEROUS and REDDOG are saying.
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
I've heard very few good reviews of the Pulstar plus, and a lot of bad ones. For one, when they did a GB for the Pulstar plugs on mazda3forums.com their quality control was awful. About half of the participants had to have at least one plug replaced due to misfiring. Some of the people who finally ended up with a good set of 4 noticed faster startup, but nobody could prove any power increase.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
find your power in better places people.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #12
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
find your power in better places people.

I disagree on a lot of things with what Tamago says (although I just keep it to myself lol) I have to agree with him completely on this one especially with an engine like ours. Putting an ignition amplifier in our lightly tuned (I/H/E)cars with bolt-ons, even a small turbo and s/c bolted on is quite frankly overkill. IF your car runs significantly better AFTER putting an ignition amplifier, chances are there's something wrong with your car's electronics and / or ignition system.

Now if you're running a 71mm or bigger turbo T4 or T6 frame turbo, past 30psi, running ethanol-blend fuel, at 11,000rpm yadayadayada..............
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #13
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Well... I'll be able to chime in soon...

When I got the car first modded by the local garage, I had one of these installed. Its function is to boost the spark plug voltage to 16V, but since I had it since the very beginning, I'm not sure f it really had much of an effect...

But then yesterday I was rearranging some wiring in my dash after removing the head unit, and I tucked the box away somewhere else and must have disconnected a wire, because the engine would not start.

So I swapped back to the regular old 12V wires, didn't get to drive the car yet but I doubt it will feel any more sluggish... wait and see...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:52 AM   #14
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Well... I'll be able to chime in soon...

When I got the car first modded by the local garage, I had one of these installed. Its function is to boost the spark plug voltage to 16V, but since I had it since the very beginning, I'm not sure f it really had much of an effect...

But then yesterday I was rearranging some wiring in my dash after removing the head unit, and I tucked the box away somewhere else and must have disconnected a wire, because the engine would not start.

So I swapped back to the regular old 12V wires, didn't get to drive the car yet but I doubt it will feel any more sluggish... wait and see...
So, what's the verdict?
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:18 AM   #15
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I feel absolutely no difference

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:30 AM   #16
gatoman

Drives: soon to be yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog99 View Post
Regarding spark voltage, that's not exactly right. The voltage required to jump the gap depends on the pressure in the combustion chamber at that time: more pressure requires more voltage. That's why an engine with a weak spark system can run OK at low speeds and start missing at high RPM or under load. So for example, although 3kv might be sufficient to spark a plug at idle, 40kv or more might be required for a spark to jump a gap at full throttle & high RPM.

so let say i have a brand new yaris... would it do any good if i buy more powerful sparkplugs?
gatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #17
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
I spoke to MSD a while back about their DIS4 box, according to them the factory coils in the Yaris will not accept amplification. MSD is not "garbage" as stated by the ilustrius Tamago, I think he meant to say at the current level of modifications that most Yaris's have the MSD would not give any results worth the $$$. I assure you that anyone running a S/C or Turbo would benefit from more ignition spark.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote