Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
new system tech questions

let me start by saying sorry for my newbiness at this whole thing. i made a post trying to figure out which speaker to buy and am probably going to order 1 of 2 pairs tonight. i do, however, have a few technical questions before doing all of this myself.

a. i want to keep the stock head unit (i really like the stock look and being able to use the ipod jack between the seats) so i know i'll have to use a line out converter. i'm okay with splicing it into my wires but which wires do i splice them into. i saw the wire color diagram and i know i obviously use speaker wires, but does left/right/front/back make any difference

b. can 1 line out converter run to 2 amps or would i need 1 for each amp (one for 4 speakers and one for a 10" sub) and would i need a 4 channel amp to run to all 4 of the speakers?

c. which is the best way to run power to 2 small amps? i know from the batters through the firewall, but what am i missing before i go and do something completely useless or stupid?

d. just so i'm clear on this, i'm running the speakers wires to the LOC, rca cables from the LOC to my amp (for the speakers) and wires from the amp straight into the speakers correct? this would make those plastic clips that plug into the stock speakers useless and i can just get rid of them because it will be all new wires with the exception of the head unit to the splice.

thanks for all of the help and sorry about by complete retardedness. i swear i have searched to forums for most of my questions but a few still left me confused.

Ryan

and please feel free to tell me if i have said something stupid or made myself look like a complete fool
Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
If your amps have speaker level input I think it is better to just cut the wires from the back of the head unit and solder or wire nut new wires to those to get to the amp. I wouldn't suggest using rca from head unit to amp unless the head unit has the rca pre-outs. But i'm no audio guru so I'm not sure what the best route is. I just don't like those in-line converters....

That plastic clip you are talking about I believe is the radio wiring harness. And I also believe that you can get a plug in to connect to the stock radio harness with output wires that are labeled to each speaker. Will make hooking up the amp a ton easier! You can get those harnesses at wal mart, autozone, o'reilly's, etc. for only about $5-10.

4 channel amp for speakers and mono class D for sub, or get a 5 channel amp. Someone around here can tell you how to get through the firewall but I never found a hole big enough so my power cables are through the passenger door. Amp under the passenger seat and speaker wires through the middle under the center console and carpet. Sand down a spot on the metal body and bolt down the ground cable.

When I did my setup I used the stock speaker wires. Where you will be putting the LOC i cut the speaker wires, added wire to run from the head unit down to the amp and then back up to that spot behind the head unit and connected to the other side of the cut stock speaker wires for the signal out from the amp. I think that is clear... Not really the most proffessional way to do it, but it works.

Any questions?

Anybody else want to add to that?
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
staying with the stock deck potentially makes a lot of simple tasks complicated.

A - you'd read the directions for your LOC or amplifier.... for me I had to splice the speaker pos & neg wires... plus a ground wire I believe.... but I was doing it for a sub.... which is pretty much mono.... you'd be looking at stereo... so it might be different.... you might need to have splice 4 lines + add 2 ground wires.

B - Sure.... as long as the ohm load on the stock decks amp isn't too low (we really don't know how low is too low) it will be fine... to split it once should be fine... splitting it four times is probably not cool.

C - Unless you are doing a sub + speakers there isn't much reason for your setup to do 2 amps.... But, for 2 amps... You'd prolly want to run 4awg power cable from the + bat terminal to where the amps will be located/mounted... buy a distrobution block (a fused one is ADVISED!!!!) then run two runs of 8awg wire... one to each amp... then you'd do the same for the ground, except the ground cable doesn't start at the battery... it'll start near the amps... you want your ground to be connected to the chasis, somwhere sturdy... I've had luck with seatbelt bolts in the past... but they aren't always the best idea if the resistance (electrical that is) is too high.

D - your stock speakers will have to be drilled out, you will need to buy or make adapter plates (they are on ebay).... and you can use the stock speakerwire, you'll just have to hadd new connectors (found at radio shack) and maybe extend the length of the wire if its too short... Running all new speaker wire is best, but more work.

oh yeah... check your old post... I posted, I have 2 things for you to do/consider before spending money on rear speakers.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
ryota
Dry Bones

haha there is so much stuff to get for this. i'm not worried about doing the work for the speakers, i just want it to sound good and if that means a few extra hours then so be it. thanks for the help talnlnky, that was exactly what i wanted to know! :-)
Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
sorry for the thread jacking

but which wire to use for the remote / to triger the amp if using the OEM HU ?

thanks
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryota View Post
haha there is so much stuff to get for this. i'm not worried about doing the work for the speakers, i just want it to sound good and if that means a few extra hours then so be it. thanks for the help talnlnky, that was exactly what i wanted to know! :-)
The idea of the tests was to potentially save you time, & money.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vten View Post
sorry for the thread jacking

but which wire to use for the remote / to triger the amp if using the OEM HU ?

thanks
on the radio wiring harness I think its a blue wire... but I can't remember for sure. If you have a multimeter you can check. Just start probing with the MM with the radio hooked up, but pulled out... The correct wire will show voltage ONLY when the radio is on.... and will show voltage when the radio is on BOTH when the car is on & off.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
ryota
Dry Bones

this came from http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10195

Radio Ignition gray + radio harness

is ^that^ the remote wire to splice into for the amp?