Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
mohamedmohsen2000

Drives: Toyota Corolla 2002
A weird problem !! please help me

I have a toyota corolla 2002, it is so similar to the Yaris, same engine ofcourse, and we have many common spare parts.

When I start my engine everyday, I hear a very strange sound most likely in the steering column behind the steering wheel, i am not pretty sure. The sound is like water or liquid is being poured in the cabin !!! very noisy, weird and disturbing sound.

I checked my power steering system, and it is ok, the power steering oil is ok too. I don't know the source of this sound, so if anyone can help me , i would apprecciate that.

Thanks
mohamedmohsen2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
jimek

Drives: 2009 yaris hatch 5 speed
my moms 97 camry does the same thing and has for years now she crashed it like 8 times still runs like a champ though. it cant be anything to worry about as her car looks terrible but runs perfect still
jimek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
PhilD424

Drives: Red Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimek View Post
my moms 97 camry does the same thing and has for years now she crashed it like 8 times still runs like a champ though. it cant be anything to worry about as her car looks terrible but runs perfect still
To the OP: Anyway we can see a video or get a sound clip of it? And to you, your mom crashed 8 times? She shouldn't be on the road.....
Old 08-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
could it be a water bubble in the heater core line?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
PhilD424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
could it be a water bubble in the heater core line?
It can't be that because coolant doesn't enter the heater core unless the heat is turned on and with the weather we have I doubt hes using the heater
Old 08-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Tamago

please show me where the valve is in the heater core to stop flow in/out of it
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
PhilD424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
please show me where the valve is in the heater core to stop flow in/out of it
Theres no valve in the heater core its a bypass.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD424 View Post
Theres no valve in the heater core its a bypass.
and what dictates its condition? what causes the water to bypass the heater core?
you nailed it sir.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

In many cars the hot water always circulates through the heater core. Air doors control the air flow through the heater core and air conditioning evaporator. I'd expect that's how it works in the Yaris.

Check the radiator cap to make sure the coolant is full to the top of the filler neck. There should be no air space in the cooling system. As it heats and the coolant expands, some is forced out into the overflow tank, then is sucked back in when it cools and contracts, so there can be no bubbles.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
In many cars the hot water always circulates through the heater core..
the yaris is no exception :) just look at the diagrams from the svc manual
you nailed it sir.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #11
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohamedmohsen2000 View Post
I have a toyota corolla 2002, it is so similar to the Yaris, same engine ofcourse, and we have many common spare parts.

When I start my engine everyday, I hear a very strange sound most likely in the steering column behind the steering wheel, i am not pretty sure. The sound is like water or liquid is being poured in the cabin !!! very noisy, weird and disturbing sound.

I checked my power steering system, and it is ok, the power steering oil is ok too. I don't know the source of this sound, so if anyone can help me , i would apprecciate that.

Thanks
Doesn't sound like the P/S...if your engine is like ours then you might try starting the car with the w/p belt removed. Sounds like heater core noise to me.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
mohamedmohsen2000

what is the heater core ??

My car is equipped only with air conditioner, because we live in a hot country.

So what do you mean by a heater core ? do you mean the Condenser of the Airconditioner ?

By the way, that sound increases on cool days, and vanishes when the car is hot, or when it is sunny.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
AmyV
she was an American girl

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB, 67 Fairlane 500
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyV
The heater core is what is used to heat air for the heater settings in a vehicle. Hot coolant goes through it from the engine. So, when air is passed over the core with the hot coolant, it heats the air.

There is no way to keep coolant from flowing through a heater core... there is no thermostat or anything. Ducting in the air galleries is what directs the hot air either into the cabin or not.

Sometimes, when a car tends to overheat a lot, people will leave the heater on full blast. They do this because, with the heater on, the heater core can actually work as a less effective secondary radiator. But that usually only works as a temporary fix anyway

Hope that helps
AmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I just changed the coolant on my wifes 05 Camry. I drained and filled the system and started the engine. There was glugging and gurgleing coming from behind the dashboard right in front of the drivers position! It sounding like a babbling brook in there! Im thinking my wife isnt going to let me do any more work on the car and she'll pay the stealer $$$$ to do it if she hears that noise!
Im figureing its air in the system. So I drove around the block for 15 minutes and parked the car to let it cool. Checked the radiator and sure enough its low. Drove it around a few more times until all the air worked out. It took about a quart more coolant to fill it completely.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #15
N2scouting

Drives: 2009 3DHB manual Black
This has nothing to do with the yaris but I used to have an 89 dodge pickup that used a vacuum controlled valve to stop coolant from flowing into the core. There was a bypass built into the thermostat housing.
N2scouting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #16
mohamedmohsen2000

What should I do with my radiator coolant to remove this bubbling noise ??
should I flush the coolant completely at a workshop then fill it with new coolant ?
I am still confused, and note that the noise is getting louder and lasts for longer time now as the weather is getting somehow cold. I believe there is a relation between the weather and the sound, so it can't be any synthetic oil, it must be water.

Then you are right about the coolant flowing in the heater core. thanks for description AmyV.

Now, we still need the solution.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #17
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohamedmohsen2000 View Post
What should I do with my radiator coolant to remove this bubbling noise ??
should I flush the coolant completely at a workshop then fill it with new coolant ?
I am still confused, and note that the noise is getting louder and lasts for longer time now as the weather is getting somehow cold. I believe there is a relation between the weather and the sound, so it can't be any synthetic oil, it must be water.

Then you are right about the coolant flowing in the heater core. thanks for description AmyV.

Now, we still need the solution.

Thanks
Ok check your coolant level. Remove the radiator cap WITH THE ENGINE COLD! If the radiator is full up to the neck and the overflow bottle is also full of coolant...the noise isnt a low coolant level causing air to circulate through the system. But if there isnt coolant to the top of the radiator its an easy matter to add it. Put the cap back on and drive the car for half an hour or so. Let the car sit for an hour so it cools down. Dont try to open the raditor cap of a hot engine! When its cool to the touch remove the cap and check the level again. Repeat this until the radiator is full. Fill the overflow bottle too if its not reading full.
Good luck and tell us what happens!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:47 AM   #18
mohamedmohsen2000

Yesterday, I removed the radiator cap with the engine cold, it wasn't full at all. So I flushed all the coolant, and added new coolant. The radiator was full with 4 liters exactly. After I drove for some minutes, the level was down a bit, so i added more. I also filled the overflow, but not to the maximum, cuz I am afraid that this may cause problems when the engine is hot. Now I noticed that the noise has disappeared or at least 90 % of the sound.
I will keep on adding coolant, till there is no place for air inside my system.

Thanks for your help guys :)