Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Question Yaris sedan - how to remove chrome trim on trunk?

Hey everyone,

I want to remove that chrome trim piece (no idea what the technical name is) to paint it body color. Has anyone removed it before? Is it a pain or pretty easy? I have the paint on order along with some self-etching primer.

Thanks!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Its easy
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
Very easy. There's, I think, 4 10mm nuts holding it on. Just remove the piece of carpeting on
the trunk lid and you'll see.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Herbicidal

Thanks guys! Once the paint comes in I'll check it out further. Just haven't made the time...
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Same here, but mine is already out just havent had a chance to put it back on
Old 10-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
are you beating me on mods to the sedan? I need to catch up apparently

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
Herbicidal

Quote:
Did you paint your chrome trim piece? If so, what color? My paint should be here on 10/6.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
his is a black/chrome color
DandiDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

I have it smoked along with the words and emblem with the spray to tint ur tail lights, been thinking of painting the emblem and the words Red what u think?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
DandiDani

Old 10-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
Cool. It will match your color better than mine. I just need to get my hands on some matching paint to do mine.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I had mine painted awile ago color matched flint mica. Its not too hard to take it out. You ahve to remove the trunk lid lining. And a few bolts. Then there are a few clips that are a tad bit tricky to remove. I accidentally broke 1 but the bolts still hold it in place fine. Make sure you clean it well and scuff it up a bit. When i had mine painted they didnt prep it and there was a bit of orange peal.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #13
Herbicidal

Quote:
I have it smoked along with the words and emblem with the spray to tint ur tail lights, been thinking of painting the emblem and the words Red what u think?
We need a butt shot. Errr....of your car, not you....you know the work you've done on the backend...the trunk lid. The paint work...man, I'm painting myself into a corner.

Just post a pic, will ya? Thanks.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
DandiDani

lol
Old 10-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #15
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
I color matched mine.. wasn't much of a problem at all to get off.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #16
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckevalastin View Post
I color matched mine.. wasn't much of a problem at all to get off.
Cool. I just checked your 'garage' but I don't see a picture of the finished product. Do you have one to share?
Old 10-02-2009, 03:00 AM   #17
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan

I like it without the chrome it makes the rear look a little wider.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
Herbicidal

Thanks for the pic YarisSedan, I like it! My wifes 09' Corolla has it already body color from the factory. When I'm done, the only chrome will be on the Toyota emblems and the Vios badge. For me, just the right amount of bling.

I'm also thinking about a light smoke on my tail lights, I think it would work well with my Flint Mica paint.