Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
eflb55
its EF LB 55

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan (US)
Aftermarket High-output Alternators

Ok, so I've been given advice to get an alternator for a current 1200 watt sound system that I plan to go to about 1600 watt and add some more devices into my car. First of all, are there aftermarket alternators for the yaris? I went to my dealership and they said neither toyota or jdm makes anything for it yet. Also, how much more power will i get if i upgrade to an optima red-top battery?

thanks
eflb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
In this case where a larger alternator is not available you could add a second alternator or have the OEN re-wound for more power by a custom chop.
Adding a second alternator may require a bit of fabication to make a second Alt bracket. Where having the alternator rewound is as simple as buying a new alternator and sending it to a shop to be rewound.

But with that much power you would be very wise to run auxillary batterys with an isolator set up. Even if they are fairly small batteries. This way they charge when the car runs but will not draw a charge off the main battery.