Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2006, 03:48 AM   #1
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
PVC Intake

Figured I'd start a discussion on the subject.

I've had PVC intakes in my past 2 cars with no ill effects... the piping never got nearly hot enough to release any sort of gases. I do mold PVC, and do realize how much it takes to get it to melt/release gases... but as long as its not the thinnest wall stuff, there is no chance of it releasing gasses into the motor, especially not with "cool" air flowin through it. perhaps idling in 110+ degree weather the thin wall stuff will have some issues.

On that note, I mold the thin wall stuff... the thicker walled PVC just takes WAY too much heat to heat all the way through, my space heater gets plenty hot to melt the thin stuff, but it cant get all the way through the thick stuff. if even the heat from the space heater was continuosly blowing on a thicker walled PVC tube while the motor was going... i'd imagine that just the air pulling through the intake would keep it from melting in the first place. If you have heat like the space heater does, your car is probably on fire, and melting PVC is your last worry :).

Everywhere I have read negative about a PVC intake, I havent seen any hard data saying its a bad thing. I've had em in my cars for years, and I the intakes have never gotten remotely close to hot enough to melt.

But, I'd have to say, ABS would be nice to use, its just not as readily available.

And I'd also have to concede that PVC directly over, or running parralel to the motor would not be a good idea.

But, I can't find an intake for under $150 for the yaris... and honestly I think 150 is way too much... doesnt even require any odd bends or a long pipe. PVC just looks like a good option, especially bent (not using 45 degree pieces) and painted.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:27 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Any chance of pics of your previous ones?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:21 AM   #3
spkrman
Banned

nah I dont have any pics as far as I know. My 99 monte carlo started as a CAI/fenderwell intake, which was later tossed for a short ram, which GREATLY increased throttle response, but cut away some top end.

My 85 blazer with 4.3 vortec swap basically put the cone where the stock airbox was. Definitely helped there, the airbox in the blazer was so crazy restrictive... noticeable top end gain

Both cars had/have stock piping up to where they joined the airbox, and PVC from there on. The blazer I'd be wary of doing PVC to the TB since its located directly over the motor, and idling on a hot day there could be a slim chance of issues.

The yaris I'll probably continue the trend... would have already if it wasnt for the funky MAF, but an adaptor for that should be easy to find at home depot. I'll throw pics of it up here when I finally do it.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
50 bux on e-bay bud... and they are aluminum.... PVC reminds me of the kids around here going to home depot getting toilet pipe and joints to make there intakes... just silly
Old 11-22-2006, 06:10 AM   #5
spkrman
Banned

I havent seen one on ebay - I'll check again. 50 is much more reasonable.

edit, still dont see anything?

as far as I'm concerned, a tube is a tube, serves the same purpose... it being cheap seems to only bother those with the $ to spend more than a car note on an intake :)

double edit... lol

the only part on the yaris that would be PVC, would be to hold the MAF, and hold the filter itself... probably a 3" straight strip painted something nice, would never know its pvc :)

But, if a $50 intake pops up on ebay I'll probably jump on it.

Last edited by spkrman; 11-22-2006 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
grimez

Drives: 2007 Yaris
If I were you I would roll for Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride (CPVC)... CPVC withstands greater temps, and is less likely to have any chlorine leaching into the air passing through it.
grimez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
My buddy has a mid-90's Civic hatch with a length of PVC coming right out of the hood like the car is ready to joust or something. It is the ultimate ram air... he just has a piece of pantyhose over the end to stop dirt.

I hate to admit it, but it works. Really well. He runs silly quarter mile times in that car, granted it has a swap and a turbo too. (He got both used... the car is going to fall apart going down the track one day)

Having said that, I regularly tell him it is the lamest thing I have ever seen because, well, it is.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimez
If I were you I would roll for Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride (CPVC)... CPVC withstands greater temps, and is less likely to have any chlorine leaching into the air passing through it.
yea, since in the yaris I only need a teeny 3" section or so, hopefully I can find something cheap/short.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
My buddy has a mid-90's Civic hatch with a length of PVC coming right out of the hood like the car is ready to joust or something. It is the ultimate ram air... he just has a piece of pantyhose over the end to stop dirt.

I hate to admit it, but it works. Really well. He runs silly quarter mile times in that car, granted it has a swap and a turbo too. (He got both used... the car is going to fall apart going down the track one day)

Having said that, I regularly tell him it is the lamest thing I have ever seen because, well, it is.
hey whatever works lol... pics??????
Old 11-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
iceman intakes are a good example and supposedly work quite well, not too many toyota applications however.

quote from iceman website:

Q. Why does Iceman Intakes use plastic rather than metal for their intakes?
A. Based on scientific reasoning, there are several known factors that impede engine performance. Among these, operating temperatures and the mass flow of air are the most critical. Overcoming the adverse impact that these factors have in any air-intake design, is an engineering challenge. Iceman Intakes met the challenge years ago by originating a three-prong solution that uses plastic as the perfect material to integrate the various problems into a single solution. Below is a quick summary of the qualities found in plastic, and our innovative use of this excellent material to design and produce intake systems superior to anything else on the market.
1) Material - We use plastic because it is the lowest conductive material that meets every requirement to solve the problems cited above. For example, compared to thin-wall intake pipes made of aluminum, our intake systems run three times cooler. The importance of supplying cooler air in adequate amounts, relative to engine performance, is discussed in more detail below.

2) Shape - Plastic allows us to have more control over the physical form of our engineered designs than other materials. This means that we can regulate both the volume of intake air (torque) and its velocity (horsepower), to substantially increase performance from bottom-end settings through higher power demands. This increased and instant response can only be achieved by controlling the air intake's length and ID (air chamber), it's overall gradual cone shape (velocity tube/air horn), and the smooth route it takes between points (no bottle necks). Moreover, our process flows to a slick smooth internal surface that eliminates airflow distortions caused by bending and welding metal tubes.

3) Location - Because plastic can be molded to conform to engineered designs, we predetermine the best placement of the filter to draw the coolest air and start from there. In contrast, metal tubes are made straight and rigid for a multitude of general uses- even intake pipes. However, the actual route that pipes take is driven more by their tight bent limitations, then by designed placement. In short, the material dictates the ultimate performance levels, rather than engineering principles. This is a crucial point because, by placing the filter outside the hot engine compartment, operating temperatures are lowered approximately 70-90 degrees F, and more during the hotter summer months. What this means to you is a one percent (1%) power gain for every 10 degree drop in temperature.

The resulting increases in fuel economy are simply by-products of engines operating at much higher levels of efficiency.

http://www.icemanmotorsports.com/

Last edited by mikeukrainetz; 11-22-2006 at 06:33 PM.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:44 PM   #11
spkrman
Banned

makes sense to me, OEM intakes are almost always plastic nowadays too.

I do like the looks of the AEM and TRD CAI's... but wow are they expensive for what they are!
Old 11-22-2006, 07:03 PM   #12
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I'am planing on getting a short ram air intake since the motor has a lot of free space for air to flow. I wanted to know the diameter of the throttle body? Is it the same as a Scion xA xB? Since ebay has some short rams even with the MAF base. I really think that the CAI (trd or aem) are way to expensive for a piece o tubing with a mushroom head
Old 11-22-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisPR
I'am planing on getting a short ram air intake since the motor has a lot of free space for air to flow. I wanted to know the diameter of the throttle body? Is it the same as a Scion xA xB? Since ebay has some short rams even with the MAF base. I really think that the CAI (trd or aem) are way to expensive for a piece o tubing with a mushroom head
agreed!

a 45 degree bend and perhaps a slight down angle for the air filter is all thats really needed... I'd put $ that there is a suitable one on ebay somewhere built for anther car, i have yet to find one that will without a doubt fit.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:14 PM   #14
mikeukrainetz

the dia of the throttle body is 2in

I bought a 2.5in silicone reducer to go from my 3in pipe down to the throttle body without measuring and it was 1/2in too large.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #15
Notthy[Yaris/S]07

Drives: Yaris Sedan 07
thanx for the throttle dia
Tanabe NF2210 Suspension
Two AudioPipe 12 Inches for Bass with 1000 Watts Amp BOSS
17 Inches Rims
Ground Wire
Notthy[Yaris/S]07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:33 PM   #16
mikeukrainetz

Pls double check before ordering anything, I couldnt confirm that dimension with calipers, just from the leftover room inside the 2.5" reducer.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:19 AM   #17
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
Notthey,cars lookin good!
eco is offline   Reply With Quote