Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
Terra
Ian K

Drives: '08 Yaris RS
Heater use in winter?

Hi there,
When I got my 08 Hatch, I was told by the dealer that the Yaris has an electric heater to make the air become warm faster. I do believe him.. My Yaris puts out hot air faster than my mom's Mazda3. I'm wondering if this would help account for my low fuel efficiency in winter?

Also, how much (if any) fuel efficiency is sacrificed for the rear defroster?

I'm just trying to get the most out of my car in harsh Canadian winters.. =)

Thanks!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

There's a prior thread about this. I was surprised to find there was an auxiliary electric heater. It's part of the cold weather package that I imagine a lot of Canadian cars have.

The rear defroster doesn't draw that much power, but when you run the regular defroster you're running your air conditioning compressor. That will make a small but noticeable hit on your mileage.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
yep, you must have the cold weather package to have the built in electric heater booster-I love it, even on below freezing mornings I have warm air blowing in 30 seconds after starting the car and turning the fan on. Search the threads and you'll find out more info on how and when it works.

It's an electrical draw like the rear defroster and I'd be more inclined to say fuel ecomony is effected by a cold engine/thick tranny fluid that the draw on the alternator.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
I suppose that operating the PTC heater and the rear defrost makes a slight difference to fuel economy - however, fuel economy is meaningless in a Yaris that's wrapped around a light pole because you couldn't see out the windshield in sub-freezing weather.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i don't find the heater comes on any quicker than our aveo....and ive driven in weather down to -40C
Old 08-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Hmm. Seems like I have the PTC heater too, only I never noticed it. Based upon what I've read, apart from the ambient and engine temps, the heater needs to be turned to max and the blower on its lowest setting to engage the PTC. Maybe I misread that last part but maybe that's also why I never noticed it if the blower needs to be one notch above off as I would tend to have it set highest or off until the car warms up.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
nmgolfer

Drives: Barcelona Red '09 Sedan
Look under the front seats and see if there is a heater duct... it so you've got the cold package (bigger alternater etc. and apparently electric heat)... My born in Cali sedan doesn't have it, we'll soon see how she does here in the rockies. (Fine I'm guessing)
nmgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote