Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-13-2006, 01:43 AM   #1
Beau

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Radiator Cap for HB

I was trying to find out if my TRD Radiator cap 21.3 PSI part #00642-16401-002 will work on my 07 yaris HB... I tried to google for the TRD tech sheets but couldn't find anything...I did find that at the trdsource.com the only radiator cap listed for the 07 yaris HB is the 18.5 PSI part #00642-16401-003.
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Honestly why use a TRD radiator cap? What does it do? Is it really a performance Mod?

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #3
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutzoids View Post
Honestly why use a TRD radiator cap? What does it do? Is it really a performance Mod?

I heard you get 5 WHP just by switching to TRD cap, screw the header
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:59 PM   #4
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
"Performance" Radiator caps actually do put the radiator under a higher pressure, allowing for the coolant to do it's job more efficiently and allow the engine to run a bit cooler, depending on other mods, this can make a difference, but only if you're trying to squeeze as much as you possibly can out, and they're what... like 20-30 bucks?

Now for the original question, the TRD Japan part number for the radiator cap that fits the Vitz is P/N:16401-SP030 which is the same as the TRD US part number that you listed second, this is the one that most Toyotas and Lexuses use, the part number for the one you have is TRD JP P/N: 16401-SP002 which is used in some V6 and V8 Toyotas and Lexuses, you need the 18.5psi cap.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
""Performance" Radiator caps"

That's a good one.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
paultyler_82

yeah... notice I put performance in quotes... hey, that's what these people call them.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #7
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
why not just get the TRD radiator cap sticker off ebay?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
paultyler_82

the point of the cap... and the TRD, GReddy, Tom's, and generic all do the same thing, is a higher pressure than the stock cap, that's why I always buy the 5 dollar generic at the local ricer shop, same 18.5psi rating as the 30 dollar TRD cap. I don't buy mine for looks, I buy mine for the increased coolant pressure.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:12 PM   #9
Beau

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82 View Post
"Performance" Radiator caps actually do put the radiator under a higher pressure, allowing for the coolant to do it's job more efficiently and allow the engine to run a bit cooler, depending on other mods, this can make a difference, but only if you're trying to squeeze as much as you possibly can out, and they're what... like 20-30 bucks?

Now for the original question, the TRD Japan part number for the radiator cap that fits the Vitz is P/N:16401-SP030 which is the same as the TRD US part number that you listed second, this is the one that most Toyotas and Lexuses use, the part number for the one you have is TRD JP P/N: 16401-SP002 which is used in some V6 and V8 Toyotas and Lexuses, you need the 18.5psi cap.
Thanks, I had my TRD radiator cap from my old Lexus GS300 and was wondering if it would work....now I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82 View Post
the point of the cap... and the TRD, GReddy, Tom's, and generic all do the same thing, is a higher pressure than the stock cap, that's why I always buy the 5 dollar generic at the local ricer shop, same 18.5psi rating as the 30 dollar TRD cap. I don't buy mine for looks, I buy mine for the increased coolant pressure.
Any examples of the $5 generic and what store to look for it in? Pepboys? etc...?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:56 AM   #10
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
It's a terrible mod if you ask me and has no performance value. Higher pressure radiator caps DO NOT lower your coolant temperatures. It's just the opposite in fact; they prevent the coolant from boiling at higher temps. Chemically speaking it's called boiling point elevation. More pressure=higher boiling point. Allowing more pressure to build up can in no way lower the temp of your engine. At most all they can do is prevent your car from boiling over under extremly hard driving. It is however a great way to pop off those spring-like radiator hose clamps, or worse yet blow a radiator hose.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:00 AM   #11
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamilR View Post
I heard you get 5 WHP just by switching to TRD cap, screw the header
I hope your joking. If not, I think a juice box is what you really need. Now were talking real performance, a high pressure radiator cap and a juice box. Should be good for at least 300HP. HaHa
Old 12-23-2006, 02:54 AM   #12
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
I hope your joking. If not, I think a juice box is what you really need. Now were talking real performance, a high pressure radiator cap and a juice box. Should be good for at least 300HP. HaHa
Dude don't forget a NOS sticker and some stripes too!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #13
Beau

I never said or thought it would give me a performance boost. It's more of a cosmetic mod.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:13 PM   #14
PetersRedYaris

Just change the sticker on your factory cap to a TRD and call it good.