Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Front Seats - a bit of bad news...

...they're really friggin' light. Great in general, but if you were hoping to save some weight by throwing in some race seats, the only thing that's going to give you a substantial weight savings will be a light fixed back. The stock Yaris seat including the seat base (basically everything except the screws) comes in at 37s. For a bit of perspective, Sparco's lightest adjustible-back seat is 30bs without the mounting hardware (my fixed-back Sparco Rev is 20lbs with the steel side brackets) - with most of the more adjustible seats being closer to 40lbs. So if you're going to go adjustible, chances are you're going to be putting on weight instead of saving. Luckily for me, I was going fixed back anyway.

Here's some shots of the removal. Wanted to see if I would be able to use the stock rails to mount my Sparco. Unfortunately, the space between the rails is too wide, so I've put the stock seat back in until Sparco comes out with a seat base for the Yaris.

For E10 Torx bolts hold it in. Be sure to remove the seat sensor before taking it out. For those who didn't know, you're looking at the spare changing jack, which is stored under the seat.

One of the rails unmounted from the seat, note that it's been removed with the slider mechanism still attached to the base.e

Close up of rail. Space between screws 1 through 4 (left to right) 1-2: 1 7/8", 1-3: 10 1/4, 1-4: 13 7/8 (all measures are approximate):

Bottom of the seat with one rail removed.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Interesting. Would there be room then to simply lower the stock seat height? The thing has to be way up there.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:39 PM   #3
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Yeah, I think it should be possible. I was running out of light tonight and it was clear that the Sparco wasn't going in so I didn't disassemble it completely to make sure.

But from what I saw, I can see two options:

* Fabricate a seat base without sliding rails, which would drop the seat about an inch. The stock seat base is welded to the rails, so you can't just unbolt the sliders. Clearly the downside here is that you're locked into position.
* Fabricate new seat brackets that mount the seat to the sliders. This is what adds the bulk of the height. It's possible these brackets are shared with another Toyota seat (perhaps the Echo) so you might be able to go to a salvage yard for the swap. But assuming the height is what you want, steel L stock may do the trick.

Here's a close up of the front brackets:

Old 04-20-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Thanks. I'll have to see what I can do.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Yeah, I'm curious now so I may take it apart this weekend. But for me, the big thing about the small seats that end up in these cars is that they don't have enough thigh support. The Sparcos, beyond being light and snug also have longer seats with much improved thigh support pads. The back of the seat is also removable, so you can add custom lumbar support if you need it. I once drove 24 hrs straight in my WRX when it had the Sparco in it - that seat is f'ing amazing.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:50 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Yes, I remember reading someone mention that the Yaris seats were lacking in the thigh support area as well. Racing seats will still be an option, but I'll have to find a place where I can test them out first.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
Sp33dY
www.OZTOYOTA.com

Drives: Toyota Echo
Very informative post and great pics :) Im extremely suprised that the seats are that light!
Old 04-29-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

UPDATE:

For those hoping for an easy L-bracket mod for the existing seats, no dice. The back mounts are welded to the seat frame, so unless you're going to start cutting into the mounts, you're outta luck:

On the up-side, I should have my Sparco installed this evening.

Anyone happen to know the resistor values needed to fool the car into thinking there's a belted driver sitting in the driver's seat?
Old 04-29-2006, 05:20 PM   #9
riceboy

Drives: icebox
Make sure to have some pics up of the final install.. are you putting in one or two seats?
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:52 PM   #10
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

The seat's in, but it's dark out now and I don't feel like dragging out the flash rig. Still have to get the seatbelt sensor going - I forgot to route it under the seat before screwing it in.

So far, looks like it dropped the seat height about 2 inches, which in a little blast around the neighborhood feels too low. I'm going to fine tune it in the morning.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
Kiss me Yaris
I've made a post!

Drives: Small Red 5 speed
Leg Room

I want to pick up about 3 or 4 inches of leg room... After looking at your pictures...Do you think I can make 4 brackets from 1" flat bar, match the hole patterns for the seat and mount it back about 4 inches?
Kiss me Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #12
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
this thread just totally made my night :)

i just picked up some NRG seats off a YW member and was curious about the stock bracket setup. the seats are bottom mount so it will be super easy to make them work :) all i'll have to do is drill some new mounting holes for brackets bolts to slide into and i'll be off and running :)
Old 10-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
guys be real carful when making your own parts had a mate who's seat mount broke ay just a heads up its not just a DIY its your life take care
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #14
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
yeah this will be no different than the OEM seats mounted

i will be mounting the seats directly to the sliders wit hthe OEM bolts and nuuts .. so there shouldnt be a difference :)
Old 10-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit View Post
UPDATE:

For those hoping for an easy L-bracket mod for the existing seats, no dice. The back mounts are welded to the seat frame, so unless you're going to start cutting into the mounts, you're outta luck:

On the up-side, I should have my Sparco installed this evening.

Anyone happen to know the resistor values needed to fool the car into thinking there's a belted driver sitting in the driver's seat?

Are you replacing the seat belts with a harness?

A resistor won't do it for fooling the seat belt "clicked" sensors. They are hall effect sensors. The SRS ECU sends a pulse through the circuit every 100ms and looks for an appropriate response. The easiest way to fool it is to disassemble the seat belt receiver (the side with the release button) and tape the magnet in the correct position to the module with the hall effect sensor (the sealed black chunk with the two wires coming out of it).

By the way, if you are doing the passenger seat as well, I make a module that allows you to keep the passenger airbag working.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:16 AM   #16
enobmort42
First time DIYer

Drives: '07 LB Polar White
Send a message via AIM to enobmort42
is it possible to swap 09 seats for my 07 seats? i came across a totaled 09 3dr and am considering making the swap. are there any tips on how best to do this? thanks!
Old 11-16-2009, 02:31 AM   #17
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I'm sure people get racing seats for purposes other than weight savings.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:11 AM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by enobmort42 View Post
is it possible to swap 09 seats for my 07 seats? i came across a totaled 09 3dr and am considering making the swap. are there any tips on how best to do this? thanks!
The swap should be no problem. You just won't hook up the side airbags in the 09 seats, since your 07's SRS ECU won't be configured for them.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote