Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Lightened Yaris

I've had my '08 for a week now, and here is what I have done so far: removed everything behind the front seats, including the jack under the drivers seat and the spare and even the bracket/mount for the spare (I had to drill out the spot welds). Today I pulled off the wheel covers! I really don't care what it looks like, obviously.

I build and fly aircraft, so weight reduction is a natural for me, and of course I had a good scale to document things. I also live up a mountainside, 1000' above the valley below, and for years have drove without a spare in any of my rigs. I can't really say if I've noticed a difference as I am so new to it anyway, but it stands to reason in a car so light already. removing 100+lbs of stuff will pay off, reducing empty weight always does I don't care what it is. Some particulars:

wheels covers: 3.6 (3 lbs. 6ozs.)
owners manual !! 2.0
flip up deck 2.13
deck carpet 2.10
tool trays with tools 6.8
main deck 11.2
spare 21.14
jack 3.1
rear seat bottom 10.9
seat frame 6.9
seat back 37.5 !!!!!!!!!!
spare support bracket 1.6
rear pass. carpet 1.15
total 111 lbs and 13 ozs.

All of this is neatly stored away, and will be re-installed when selling. I have looked at the various options, and have decided to do nothing that adds weight (like a rear sway bar, though they sound neat). I have taken an old blanket and spread it over the exposed metal where the spare and the seat used to be, and that is all I plan to do. My next trip past a certified scale I will weigh it, subtract for me and the dog, and then look to see what else I can safely remove, if anything.

My first trip down the mountain and to my workplace 14 miles away (luckily on a road posted 45, most drive it at 50+) : 62 MPG, coming back the same way (pulling hill) 40.2. I've had a Scan Gauge for some time, and it is well calibrated. Assuming a empty weight to start of 2300 lbs, that represents a weight loss of about 5%. Also, it didn't cost a dime!

Yesterday in town I did get on it for the first time, while pulling into traffic, and was surprised! It hauls ass pretty good, it made me laugh! Great fun car.

I also found the passenger seat weighs 47 lbs., for those wanting to go know.

Last edited by Idahotom; 11-04-2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: MORE INFO
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Thanks for adding the weights to items removed. Kinda curious as to the owners manual weighing 2 lbs. Seat belts (rear)? Had removed my spare at one time until I thought of flat away from home. Keep us posted.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I removed my spare a long time ago from my sedan, but never weighed it...I guess that balances out my Bazooka tube then since that has got to be around the same weight....good info. As for the owner's manual...doesn't surprise me in the least. Paper weighs a lot....sounds silly, but true.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Show us some pictures! Especially I'd love to know what you did to take of that idiotic spare tire mount, I would love to get rid of that thing. And what it looks like with it off.

Great job on removing the weight.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
Idahotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
Thanks for adding the weights to items removed. Kinda curious as to the owners manual weighing 2 lbs. Seat belts (rear)? Had removed my spare at one time until I thought of flat away from home. Keep us posted.
It was probably something the dealer added, but it was a large vinyl case with all the warranty info etc. and will really do me more good at home in the file cabinet then in the glove box.

The spare bracket was spot welded into place in six places, I drilled out the welds and until I get some 3/16" pop rivets (the largest my gun will pull) I just shot some caulk in the holes, as I live down a 1 mile dusty dirt road. IF I ever put it back, I'll use stainless 3/16" rivets and it'll be almost as good as new. It bugged me the way it stuck up in the way, after the spare was removed, so it had to go!
Old 10-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I should go a diet. That would be another 20 pounds.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
roadrunner
Yaris Hypermiler

Drives: 2007 Silver Liftback
Thanks for the info with weights.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
I removed my spare tire bracket when I did my subwoofer enclosure. I covered the holes with Hushmat noise deadening. Here is a pic if anyone is curious.
Name:  SSPX0138[1].jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  45.8 KB
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

So six pretty obvious welds. Cool beans. Thank you for the pic. Did you drill the welds out too? And how would you explain exactly what that means to someone completely clueless. Heh, I'll talk to some body shop peoples, I bet me doing that myself would be disastrous.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
Literally drill them out. I think I used a 1/4" drill bit in a cordless drill. You put the drill bit in the center of the weld and drill it until you go through the weld and the floor of the car. Pretty simple.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
Idahotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer812 View Post
Literally drill them out. I think I used a 1/4" drill bit in a cordless drill. You put the drill bit in the center of the weld and drill it until you go through the weld and the floor of the car. Pretty simple.
Yes, pretty simple. Just start with a smaller bit and work up until the weld is drilled out. FIRST though stick your head underneath and eyeball what is there and the consequences if you shove that last and longest drill bit too far through the hole. There is plenty of room, but there is "stuff" (some kind of fuel related thing, looks like maybe a fuel vapor recovery box or something, whatever it was I didn't want to mess with it) underneath, just be aware of it before drilling, and you could always use a drill stop, a short piece of metal tubing or whatever so once you drill through the bit can't go any further, simple.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Weight loss is always good , but try to keep in mind center of gravity . Also by removing the the back seat your car is now more flexible and top heavy . I'm not complaining but just pointing out some safety concerns .

If ya want more weight saving ideas try these .
1. Switch to Braille battery - 20 lbs
2. Remove windshield fluid reservoir -10 lbs
3. Buy wheels that weight less than 11 lbs -15-20 lbs
4. Fill gas tank to halfway mark ( about 5.5 gallons ) -50 lbs
5. Remove front seat -40 lbs ( actually I think it weighs more )
6. Remove passenger side airbags - 10-20 lbs

Another downside to weight removal is that the Yaris has such a large cross section that wind or passing vehicles will greatly affect directional stability .
Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #13
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
Weight loss is always good , but try to keep in mind center of gravity . Also by removing the the back seat your car is now more flexible and top heavy . I'm not complaining but just pointing out some safety concerns .

Another downside to weight removal is that the Yaris has such a large cross section that wind or passing vehicles will greatly affect directional stability .
Now that's going too far. Side airbags could be the difference between life and death. Not worth saving $2 a year.

Losing the heavy gas seems like the biggest bang for the least sacrifice. People forget how heavy all those gallons of gas weigh.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #14
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Lotsa fun... I did the same to an old Austin 1100 many years ago. Scale weight was 1550 lbs, and I took out EVERYTHING. I was left with an driveline, 2 seats, and not much else. Door handles and window winders were replaced with sheet metal screws to hold the doors closed and the windows up, anything and everything came out. Weight savings (I weighed it all as it came out) 470lbs. Driveline remained stock, but the performance was sparkling to say the least, fuel economy was amazing.

It was just an experiment, but its lessons were very clear!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:58 AM   #15
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:

The car weighs enough that you do not have to worry about center of gravity unless you figure out how to drop 1000lbs. A few hundred pounds will only allow the center of gravity creep closer to the driver, which is where you want it.

And removing the passenger side air bag is probably illegal in most states at this point.

Oh and if you are interested in Braille batteries, check out Deka. They make braille batteries, and you can get an off name battery that is identical for 1/3 of the price.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #16
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Let me clarify . The center of gravity I was referring to is in the transverse plane ( up, down ) . All of the mentioned weight removal is below the window line , thus making a top heavy car . A top heavy car with a large cross section on a windy , icy day will not be safe . When considering weight reduction all three planes( coronal , sagital , and transverse) must be taken into consideration .

Also I meant to remove pass. seat . So if you have no pass. seat ...no pass. airbags are needed . I don't know about legality , but I do now that I've never heard of anyone asking to see the airbags when being pulled over .

Thanks for the battery tip
Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #17
docB

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
What has all of this weight loss done for the ride quality? Everything you mention, save the light wheels is sprung weight. Rotating parts are really good things to put on a diet. I light weight flywheel would cut the pounds and pep up throttle response. Don't forget to loose the plastic engine cover. I did not weigh it, but I like taking wt off of those front wheels.
doc
docB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Let me clarify . The center of gravity I was referring to is in the transverse plane ( up, down ) . All of the mentioned weight removal is below the window line , thus making a top heavy car . A top heavy car with a large cross section on a windy , icy day will not be safe . When considering weight reduction all three planes( coronal , sagital , and transverse) must be taken into consideration .

Also I meant to remove pass. seat . So if you have no pass. seat ...no pass. airbags are needed . I don't know about legality , but I do now that I've never heard of anyone asking to see the airbags when being pulled over .

Thanks for the battery tip
i understand, but losing 111lbs does not make the car top heavy. The driver alone probably weighs that much, never mind the engine weighs that much, and the roof simply does not. At some point, yes, you would have to worry about the car being top heavy, but it would have to be a very significant weight loss because the roof simply does not weigh that much.

As for the airbags, in mass if the airbag light is on, the car will not pass inspection. Since the car comes with a passenger airbag, in my state it must be installed or you cannot drive the car on the street.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't the same way in most NE states, and the other states that seem to follow cali in lockstep. It is just worthwhile to check out the laws before doing anything like that to make 100% sure you can do it and still drive the car legally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by docB View Post
What has all of this weight loss done for the ride quality? Everything you mention, save the light wheels is sprung weight. Rotating parts are really good things to put on a diet. I light weight flywheel would cut the pounds and pep up throttle response. Don't forget to loose the plastic engine cover. I did not weigh it, but I like taking wt off of those front wheels.
doc
I don't think it has hurt ride quality, and it definitely makes the car more fun to drive.