Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
Do I need to buy a new Yaris by 2013?

I live in Minnesota and the state has a new law mandating an ethanol level of 20% starting in 2013! As far as I know my 2008 Yaris is only made to handle up to 10%. My other newer vehicles are all 'flex-fuel' and the components are designed to handle up to 85% ethanol.

Will 20% eat up the organic components in my 2008 Yaris?

Yes...I know that my mileage will also drop like a rock!

And I am contemplating buying replacement lawn tractor, chain saw, etc. etc.

I am looking at thousands of dollars of replacement costs and higher grocery bills just so the local farmers can double corn prices again.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
I bet the Yaris handles E20 no problem. I bet a lot of us have had E10 fills that were closer to 20% ethanol and never known it.

The EPA is talking about E15 nationally for vehicles 2001 and later.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
ProYaris

Drives: '11 5dr Meteorite Metallic
any modern vehicle should be virtually impervious to increased ethanol levels. The only real culprits in earlier cars (that have given ethanol gas mixtures the reputation for coroding things were paper gaskets and old style rubber fuel hoses and fuel floats in carbs in much older cars and trucks. Besides this and a few odd reports of it not playing nice with some forms of aluminum coatings and gas tank parts (sending unit floats) that are no longer used.

Flexfuel designation is more about the vehicles ability to adjust to differing compression, spark timing and fuel delivery needs of different fuels. E85 likes higher compression and richer air/fuel mixture with spark timing that would ping a gas only (E10) engine to a early grave.
42mpg on first tank not even trying car driven and enjoyed 200-300 miles daily (Currier). Past Toyota's: 79 Celica SR5, 81 Corolla SR5, 89 Corolla FX16. Other past Cars: 65 Mustang FB, 95 Mustang 5.0, 2001 Mustang Cobra, more Jeeps (XJ's and YJ) than I can list.

Currently: 65 Mustang Vert, 3 Jeeps, and a new '11 Yaris
ProYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProYaris View Post
.... to adjust to differing compression, spark timing and fuel delivery needs of different fuels. E85 likes higher compression and richer air/fuel mixture with spark timing that would ping a gas only (E10) engine to a early grave.
cars can't adjust the compression, its fixed.
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
We have E20 up here where I am and my car has been running fine. BTW I have a '07 Hatch.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProYaris View Post
any modern vehicle should be virtually impervious to increased ethanol levels. The only real culprits in earlier cars (that have given ethanol gas mixtures the reputation for coroding things were paper gaskets and old style rubber fuel hoses and fuel floats in carbs in much older cars and trucks. Besides this and a few odd reports of it not playing nice with some forms of aluminum coatings and gas tank parts (sending unit floats) that are no longer used.

Flexfuel designation is more about the vehicles ability to adjust to differing compression, spark timing and fuel delivery needs of different fuels. E85 likes higher compression and richer air/fuel mixture with spark timing that would ping a gas only (E10) engine to a early grave.
Per the Yaris manual it actually states that you are not supposed to use ethanol fuels and it can void your warranty. I have seen more than one Toyota car from 06 and newer that has had a failed motor due to issues with ethanol.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
I am *so* glad I don't live in that sorry excuse for a nanny state anymore.
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
i can't wait till we get some people who know how to use their brains in dc to make ethanol illegal like it should be.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:04 AM   #9
YarisLover09

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
What is your state goverment saying to people that have incompatible cars for this amount of ethanol? My truck Ford Ranger has warranty issues if I use E85. Is the state going to issue some kind of tax credit for this?
YarisLover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
i can't wait till we get some people who know how to use their brains in dc to make ethanol illegal like it should be.
Agreed. This ethanol nonsense (destroying older engines) is one of the main reasons I sold my '94 Geo Metro. Goodness knows it still had a LOT of life left in it at 120,1xx when I sold it three weeks ago.

I just didn't want to be caught "holding the bag" when the engine/gaskets/valve seats/etc. eventually let go because of the stupid corn lobby!

I hear a week ago the new owner is now getting a knocking sound. Seems like my timing is very fortunate.

I bought my 2012 Yaris not even a month ago, and now gas is rocketing into the heavens again, just like in 2008.

Very fortunate indeed. I may have just missed the $1-2k dealer "market adjustment fee" for economy cars when consumers start panicking, as they are starting to now.

Damned ethanol.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
the worst part about it is the government is still paying farmers not to farm. And they are still giving farmers other insane subsidies, never mind the ridiculous corn for ethanol subsidy, all while food prices keep on rising, and ethanol keeps killing gas mileage.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
the worst part about it is the government is still paying farmers not to farm. And they are still giving farmers other insane subsidies, never mind the ridiculous corn for ethanol subsidy, all while food prices keep on rising, and ethanol keeps killing gas mileage.
Correct again. Add to this inflation, where it takes more dollars to buy fewer goods, and well, the picture for Joe America does not bode well.

Have you been to a grocery store, lately man? It's like that film Platoon! Boxes half-empty, but still charging more, smaller portions, lower quality, etc.

It sucks.

Burning our main food staple for fuel was a stupid idea, even for the parasites in the District of Corruption. The fact it ruins older engines make it even worse! My heart goes out to anyone struggling, who happens to own an older car, or cannot afford a new car right now. These people should have had a choice!
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
charles nelson

My Toyota service manager told me that Toyota was saying that any use of 15%+ ethanol would void the engine warranty. I asked him about the coming 20% MN statute. He shook his head and said the district service manager didn't want to discuss it.
I guess some class action lawsuits will be coming. Only the lawyers will be happy.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
charles nelson

Our Legislature keeps talking about keeping government out of people's lives. But every time a lobbyist shows up they enact another law. No mention has been made about what 20% ethanol will do to smaller engines, etc. No one seems to know that the law was passed. I guess when everyone's lawn mower blows up they will begin to complain.
The State of MN is sovereign and cannot be sued. I know...the state screwed up their bookkeeping and my company wanted to sue...our lawyers just laughed at us.