Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-02-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
tyrone_yaris

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2007 facelift
Some advice req for my Yaris

Hi,

I needed some suggestions for maintaining my Yaris and would appreciate your advice please:

1. Can I was my Yaris at a service station? The area I'm interested in is the engine bay area. It gets quite dusty after some time due to the pollution and dust etc and would appreciate a clean engine bay.

2. Can I remove the catalytic converter because the quality of fuel we get here is not that good and the catalytic converter in some cars tends to get chocked over time leading to more pressure on the engine. Was just wondering if this is a good idea to remove it altogether??

3. How often should the throttle body be cleaned for good mileage. It tends to get full of carbon deposits over time and is black. Out here the spray it with a carb cleaner.

Thanks in advance

Tyrone
tyrone_yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #2
Vang

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
1 - Just 'mist' it with water. I didn't ever cover anything. I use one of these and choose the mist setting.

There is really no need to cover anything up if you use the mist setting unless you are super super paranoid about the engine dying because it touched water (it won't.) I have done it once a month now for over 2 years with not a single problem.
You don't really need a degreaser or anything, just wipe it down with a towel after misting it. The Yaris engine is very strong and can take some hard abuse.

Sorry, don't know about 2 or 3...
Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
I would recommend some of Garm's products at Microimageonline.com

Get a hood seal and an underpannel kit (whenever there are more in stock) and that should help keep your engine clean.

Also, check out this thread for a very good way to clean your engine bay. I've used this method a few times and it works great.

As for your cat, I believe you can remove it but I think will cause a check engine light to come on, unless you move the 02 sensor (This thing). You could take it to a shop and have a custom job or you could get the midpipe that Garm sells.
I'm not sure what the emissions laws are where you live though, so check those first before you do anything with your catalytic converter.

And i'm not sure about your throttle body, soz mate.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I say go check out the people in the Middle East forums. They can help you out with some of the cleaning and dust problems i think.

you can remove anything from your car, but i agree that you need to check your local laws to see if it is legal.