Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Do you love your car?

Do you love your new Yaris? I mean really, really love it?

If so, why?

If not, why?

What has been a pleasant surprise to you as you have started clocking on more miles?

What has been a disappointment the longer you have owned your 3rd Gen Yaris?

I will start.

I love my car. I really, really love my blazing blue pearl 3-door.

I love it's small footprint on the road and in tight parking spaces when I go downtown in Austin. It can fit almost everywhere.

I love it's basic, if spartan nature.

I love the fact even the base model has a USB port (hidden in the glove box, to deter thieves), which syncs up with my thumb drive MP3 player with no complaints. It is just a plug-and-play affair.

I love the fact it is so smooth and quiet for it's class. Once warmed-up, my engine idles at only 700-800RPM?! How is this possible in a non-diesel engine? I can't think of any gasser car engine that idles so low sold in 2012. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I love the subtle elegance in it's design, both interior and exterior. For the interior, the 3-spoke steering wheel, with no clutter of buttons to get in my way. Just a simple, honest, very comfortable steering wheel.

The interior feels so airy in this class. I think because there is so much glass surface area to look out of, it feels more "breathable" than many other B-segment cars sold in the U.S.

The dash design really pleases me. I prefer a symmetrical analog layout to my instrument cluster, such as on the new Yaris.

I love the fact the stock stereo on the base model isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It is in fact, pretty sweet for a base model car. I expected much worse.

For the exterior, I appreciate the more aggressive styling over the older car. I also love the way these lines, whether in darkness or the the bright sun, or in the rain, look with the blazing blue pearl paint. This is such a lovely color to my eye. It looks so "cool", yet not "cold", if any of you understand what I'm saying. I am proud to drive this car. It's my first new car, but she means a lot to me.

I love the fact the handling and gearbox are much-improved from the 2010 base 3-door I drove in 2010. Now, the car is less of a chore to drive, but more a simple pleasure. There really is a sort of zen-like quality to this car now, that only the Mazda 2 seems to better.

But I didn't chose the Mazda. I chose the Toyota, which is why I am here.

I love the fact the 1NZ-FE is proven, and lacks a timing belt, and few, if any mechanical vices. Yay timing chain! I'll take trusted and reliable over unreliable and cutting edge any day--especially when I am spending $16k on a car!

What do I not like?

I would have liked an option for a sunroof like in the EU. Preferably, a hand-cranked sunroof. At least a fixed-glass roof with a sunshade, would have been awesome.

I understand issues of time, money and R&D, but a 6th gear on the highway would have been fantastic. At 70mph, my car is dead-on at 3,000RPM. I can imagine Toyota could get the highway RPMs even lower, for even better MPG.

I would have also liked a lack of stupid tire pressure monitoring sensors. But after the trumped-up "unintended-acceleration" fiasco, Toyota wasn't going to take any chances on safety.

The fuel economy could be better than the 33MPG max in mixed driving I have gotten. But this is likely a function of the break-in (only 900 or so miles now) and the thick conventional oil they use for the first few thousand miles. hopefully, after break in, and the switch to full synthetic, this little car will edge closer to the 40MPG so many members of this forum consistently report.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
I agree with everything you wrote,hate tire pressure sensors.
I love the Lagoon Blue (it's different),I was tired of Red,Black,
Silver,and White.
Mine has about 1500 mi.now.
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 yaris View Post
Silver,and White.
The lagoon blue mica is damned sweet.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
i love the color of my magnetic grey, the fact that i just took a 200 mile trip to daytona beach and back to my area near ft lauderdale and it only cost me about 50 bucks or so.

the fact that i can park in any tight spot no problem, i also do love that the stock oem radio has a usb and aux port in the glove box. so really no need to change the radio out at this point.

also its low key, quiet and mine is automatic. its just very convenient driving around not shift gears !!!
Old 03-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
skuzzlebutt5

Drives: '12 Yaris SE Classic Silver AT
Yes, I really, really love my Yaris.

If so, why?
This is my first vehicle. I'm paying the monthly payments and insurance. It's mine... well it should be "mine" in 60 months. I love the lines of the car. I love the 16" rims. I love the interior with the well bolstered/upholstered seats, the clean instrument cluster, and leather steering wheel. I love the MPG (hopefully higher after break in period) and pretty much everything else about my baby. But most importantly, I love that I got her for $17,500 out the door.

What has been a pleasant surprise to you as you have started clocking on more miles?
The ride mostly, as I've driven her more. My brother has the '06 Yaris and there's a stark difference in the way each handles. She's more agile I suppose. The steering is more precise as well.

So far it's been the MPG and how low it's been. I know it's been only a month and that I have yet to break her in but I'm not even getting the EPA estimated MPG for the city. We'll see though.

Other then the MPG complaint, love is definitely in the air. <3
skuzzlebutt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 yaris View Post
Silver,and White.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuzzlebutt5 View Post
Yes, I really, really love my Yaris.

If so, why?
This is my first vehicle. I'm paying the monthly payments and insurance. It's mine... well it should be "mine" in 60 months. I love the lines of the car. I love the 16" rims. I love the interior with the well bolstered/upholstered seats, the clean instrument cluster, and leather steering wheel. I love the MPG (hopefully higher after break in period) and pretty much everything else about my baby. But most importantly, I love that I got her for $17,500 out the door.

The ride mostly, as I've driven her more. My brother has the '06 Yaris and there's a stark difference in the way each handles. She's more agile I suppose. The steering is more precise as well.

So far it's been the MPG and how low it's been. I know it's been only a month and that I have yet to break her in but I'm not even getting the EPA estimated MPG for the city. We'll see though.

Other then the MPG complaint, love is definitely in the air. <3
Very nice.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
rubhamusan

Drives: 2012 yaris
I agree with all the love.I don't think I would have been as happy with the 2nd gen.

Only dislikes I have is the almost rattle in the dash when stopped in drive.But that is a easy fix. I drive like the Japanese do.When stopped place in neutral.
I wish we got the awd option tho.Basically I just miss japan.
rubhamusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
EU's yaris with better equipped options, their starting base prices are actually extremely close to the Canadian/US base price. Having said that Toyota actually makes more money here than they do in EU. I am so sad
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:42 AM   #9
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
EU's yaris with better equipped options, their starting base prices are actually extremely close to the Canadian/US base price. Having said that Toyota actually makes more money here than they do in EU. I am so sad
You aren't alone.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Bernie P.

Drives: old truck
I only wish I had recommended my folks waited for it.Instead I suggested they buy Ford's Fiesta.While there's a lot to like about it I saw in the new CR auto issue it got the dreaded black dot in reliability.So far they haven't had any problems but they drive very little these days-under 3k on it.
Bernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie P. View Post
I only wish I had recommended my folks waited for it.Instead I suggested they buy Ford's Fiesta.While there's a lot to like about it I saw in the new CR auto issue it got the dreaded black dot in reliability.So far they haven't had any problems but they drive very little these days-under 3k on it.
I test drove the Fiesta, and loved it. But the fact Ford thought stupidly not to import the 3-door (which is a gorgeous car, in my opinion), and gave us the hideous front fascia soured me on the car.

A shame, because I loved the way it drove, the way the gearbox shifted, and the interior.

It should prove reliable, provided it doesn't have the fragile PowerShift auto tranny.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
Bernie P.

Drives: old truck
Unfortunately it has the auto tran.My father knows how to drive a stick but due to age/medical problems can no longer drive.My mom never learned to drive a stick.Anyway supposedly Ford has resolved the issues with the auto.I hope so!
Bernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie P. View Post
Unfortunately it has the auto tran.My father knows how to drive a stick but due to age/medical problems can no longer drive.My mom never learned to drive a stick.Anyway supposedly Ford has resolved the issues with the auto.I hope so!
Let's hope so indeed. Nothing worse than having to do major work on a newer car.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
07stlYaris
If Its Not Blown It Sucks

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Meteorite
Heck yea.

I Love my Yaris. Wife hates it and wants me to get something bigger. Kids call it my scooter. Bought it when the idiot government was shaming Toyota because they didn't get bailed out (along with the false claims of them speeding up on their own <-- Never a proven case for those who will dispute me). I have owned lots of Toyota products and this one is by far the most fun. Love the body style. Hate the Versa angles, Fiesta Grill, Mini price, Fiat price, Caliber size, Spark name. Mazda 2 is about the only other sub i would consider buying. I've had a 22R in my VW Vanagon for 12 years now and I can honestly say that Toyota makes a great engine. Anyway, that's my rant.
07stlYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:56 AM   #15
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07stlYaris View Post
I Love my Yaris. Wife hates it and wants me to get something bigger. Kids call it my scooter. Bought it when the idiot government was shaming Toyota because they didn't get bailed out (along with the false claims of them speeding up on their own <-- Never a proven case for those who will dispute me). I have owned lots of Toyota products and this one is by far the most fun. Love the body style. Hate the Versa angles, Fiesta Grill, Mini price, Fiat price, Caliber size, Spark name. Mazda 2 is about the only other sub i would consider buying. I've had a 22R in my VW Vanagon for 12 years now and I can honestly say that Toyota makes a great engine. Anyway, that's my rant.
Great reasons, all.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #16
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07stlYaris View Post
Bought it when the idiot government was shaming Toyota because they didn't get bailed out (along with the false claims of them speeding up on their own <-- Never a proven case for those who will dispute me). I have owned lots of Toyota products and this one is by far the most fun. Love the body style.
I don't have the 2012, but I just had to post. Honda and Toyota are the top car manufacturers in my opinion. I owned 3 Honda CRX's in the 80's and up until 1997 when I bought a Chevy Cavalier only because my brother works at GM. The Cavalier was OK until 2008 when everything started going wrong with it.

So I needed a new car, and it had to be cheap. I don't like used cars. Honda's were all too expensive, so Toyota was my next choice and I wanted Japanese-made, so it had to be the Yaris.

I, too, was/still am, sick and tired of the US bailing out the car-makers, I was tired of the Camry getting a bad rap and I think a lot of those people who complained about stuck accelerators were just plain idiots. I felt sorry for Toyota so it was a no-brainer for me. Plus the fact I got 0% APR for 60 months and ToyotaCare too.

I love my Yaris as much as I loved my CRX's.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #17
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I cant agree more with this statement coming from a ultimate crx fan and owner of 4 also. The only difference I feel with a yaris than a crx, driver seat sits higher than I am used to, but I am already used to it now.

Everything else Debby mentions about toyota and honda, I agree with
Old 03-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #18
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I don't have the 2012, but I just had to post. Honda and Toyota are the top car manufacturers in my opinion. I owned 3 Honda CRX's in the 80's and up until 1997 when I bought a Chevy Cavalier only because my brother works at GM. The Cavalier was OK until 2008 when everything started going wrong with it.

So I needed a new car, and it had to be cheap. I don't like used cars. Honda's were all too expensive, so Toyota was my next choice and I wanted Japanese-made, so it had to be the Yaris.

I, too, was/still am, sick and tired of the US bailing out the car-makers, I was tired of the Camry getting a bad rap and I think a lot of those people who complained about stuck accelerators were just plain idiots. I felt sorry for Toyota so it was a no-brainer for me. Plus the fact I got 0% APR for 60 months and ToyotaCare too.

I agree 100%,

I have always loved the CRX--especially the Mk1s from '84-86 (?). So small, so light, so awesome. A front wheel drive BMW, if there ever were one.

Honda has lost her way.

Oh well. Yaris party!