Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Chifte

Drives: 2012 Yaris
Looking for center caps

Hey all, I'm new here, name's Eric.

My 2012 Yaris 3dr 5spd should arrive tomorrow and I want to address the hub cap issue ASAP!

I see people get the chrome or stainless steel trim pieces, use chrome lug nuts than get black/ chrome center caps. Problem is, I can't find any center caps that seem like they would fit. One guy has a Toyota branded black center cap for a 4 lug.

Anyone know the width and where I should look for these things? I know it says Yaris but coming from Thailand, want to make sure the fitment is for what the U.S has.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-TOYOTA-Wh...-/180938809516

Would those happen to fit? I'm so impatient if I waited I could just measure them myself tomorrow, bwaha.

This is from an ancient thread on this forum, didn't want to ressurect it who knows if they're still around .

Quote:

Last edited by Chifte; 08-01-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Chifte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
those are some nice looking steelies
Old 08-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The ones in the ebay listing above won't work, but the ones in the picture are Tercel center caps. I have a set on Crashy's steelies. There are ones with the word Toyota and ones with the Toyota logo. I have the logo ones, shown in this listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Terce...c0dbdd&vxp=mtr
Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Chifte

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The ones in the ebay listing above won't work, but the ones in the picture are Tercel center caps. I have a set on Crashy's steelies. There are ones with the word Toyota and ones with the Toyota logo. I have the logo ones, shown in this listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Terce...c0dbdd&vxp=mtr
You almost brought a tear to my eye that made me so happy , I really appreciate it!
Old 08-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Chifte

Welp, I ordered the center caps and stainless steel trim rings.

The trim rings fit fine, slightly more loose than the stock hub caps.

But the black toyota tercel center caps do not snap on, 3M tape does not work.

It attaches via 4 prongs, the whole center cap fits but none of them stay on the wheel, it looks like the center caps were designed with a groove on the wheel to snap to in mind.

If I put tape on the prongs, putting it on just rolls the tape up and causes the center cap to pop off.

I'm really curious how the person in the picture I posted actually did that. I know I could use JB weld and solve that sumbich problem but well.. I'll need a tire change at some point and that will involve busting the center cap lol.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I ended up going with a dust cap. it isn't a tight fit either so tape was required. anyway, here is how mine ended up. got the dust caps at NAPA for around $3 each.
a user here recommended them to me (yaris girl or something like that)

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru.../3208/1350.jpg
Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Chifte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I ended up going with a dust cap. it isn't a tight fit either so tape was required. anyway, here is how mine ended up. got the dust caps at NAPA for around $3 each.
a user here recommended them to me (yaris girl or something like that)

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru.../3208/1350.jpg
Doesn't the tape leave them a little awkward on the wheel? That's what I'm finding, even though it doesn't hold at all it won't make an even fit either.

I saw the dust cap idea, it's cool but not what I'm looking for, I suppose if I can't get this to work, I'm going to lick my wounds and just put stock caps back on until I can get real wheels...which Ill likely be too cheap to buy anyway

Here's what it looks like, I'd smiling ear to ear if it worked right lol.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I have had the same Tercel caps on Crashy for the past two years. They snap on and have stayed on through two Winters of plowing snow, but they do pull of fairly easily.

If you are worried about them coming off, instead of tape, try a small dab of Automotive Goop on each of the four prongs.

Tercel Cap - On.jpg

Tercl Caps.jpg
Old 08-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Chifte

Ain't that a kicker, yours stay on that beast of a Yaris and mine pop off like they were avoiding hot lava.

That goop you speak of, I'm sure I can get access to something similar as I work at a 'Yota dealership. Don't you think it would make for a problem next time I get new tires? They have to take off the center caps of wheels for the machine, I could totally see trying to get them off resulting in breaking the tabs.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chifte View Post
Ain't that a kicker, yours stay on that beast of a Yaris and mine pop off like they were avoiding hot lava.

That goop you speak of, I'm sure I can get access to something similar as I work at a 'Yota dealership. Don't you think it would make for a problem next time I get new tires? They have to take off the center caps of wheels for the machine, I could totally see trying to get them off resulting in breaking the tabs.
Goop is a clear glue that comes in a squeeze tube and is available at any hardware or auto parts store. It sticks well to plastic and metal and if not used in excess it will allow parts to be removed without breaking.

I noticed that the back of yours looked pretty dirty, which implies they were well used. The clips may just be sloppy because of that. Mine were brand new, sealed in plastic.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Try some clear, slicone sealer on the tabs to hold the center caps on.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
Chifte

Blah! I gave up on the center caps, rolling with just trim pieces now :). Liquid Nails and Gorilla epoxy wouldn't hold them, I let them sit for about 14 hours and I am now down 1 center cap. I hated to put something hardcore on..PITA come tire change time and I'll be there soon as I travel 30k+ miles a year.

I think I'm just going to use moon discs, and cross my fingers they aren't stolen.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
Volcano
Experienced Yaris Owner

Drives: Yaris 2013 1.33 Ltr
Ur car looks great with the steelies and Chrome ring.

Had these hubcaps on my previous Yaris. It just seems they don't fit right, never lost one, not even in the carwash.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=38223&page=8
Volcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
Jabro

Drives: 2008 2dr Yaris Liftback
Old thread revival, but to address this issue for future center cap experimenters I've come up with a few solutions. First and most easy/perhaps a little ghetto, is to use a plastic zip tie around the out side of the tabs of the the tercel center cap. You'll want to tighten the zip tie until it is close to the shape of a square. The caps will then snugly snap into place. I'm currently using this method.

A safer solution would be to get some metal wiring, 2 or 3 mm diameter should do. Bend it around the center hub to form a circle, and twist and tighten with pliers. This will give your worn out tercel tabs something to grip around, and serves as a makeshift retention ring.
Jabro is offline   Reply With Quote