Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #19
Eren_13

Drives: Yaris SR '12
I'm hoping my existing HID kit stands up to the standard of the stuff from TRS now! If not it'll be another long wait for some ballasts :)

I got the bullet shrouds if I remember rightly. I wanted to cover most of the reflector up as possible. Hope they look OK!
Eren_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Oh yeah you'll be fine. I went with the Iris shrouds which are very shallow but wide as I wanted a clean OEM look. Our headlights are pretty deep so you can't see the projector bowl even though it's exposed because of how far back it sits in the headlight.

FYI don't do what you see there and not paint the reflector bowl. I opted not to because I wanted it to look OEM. It's been mentioned with other projector retrofits that there is some light scattering out the sides from light bouncing off the reflector and it's true.

It's not enough to blind anyone beside you but it's obnoxious when going down unlit roads and lighting up the trees in each upper corner of your field of view. I drive in the city 90% of the time and I don't even notice it unless I'm on an unlit street.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #21
Eren_13

That's a great looking retro there :) see, I have the new shape yaris, so I know the reflectors are a different type. I have HIDs installed at the moment - 6000k with no projectors, there is a small amount of light scatter to the sides but not a huge amount.

There is something that looks like a shield at the side of the headlight too so maybe that will help cut out some of the scatter. The shrouds I bought I am hoping cover enough that there won't be any light scatter but is it advisable to paint the reflector then?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #22
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
i had to use epoxy on the subaru as if i changed the bulb the whole unit shifted... so i recommend it just so there is no chance of that happening. make sure you get the black headlight sealers for the back from TRS as well because you will have a large gap for moisture where the bulb socket is.

there were my 2 kits and some pics along the way.
and these are the Morimoto D2S original. running 55W 5000k

Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #23
Eren_13

By black headlight sealers, I'm hoping you mean ones that might come with the kit I ordered, if not, it's gonna be another loooong wait to start this :(

But guys I can't thank you enough for your replies on this so far, they've all been a massive help. So thank you all once again!

What's the best brand / type of epoxy to use for this? There's bound to be some name differences since I'm coming from the other side of the pond.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #24
Eren_13

It's here! The parts are finally here :) Slow UK customs! Very much looking forward to getting this going.

Can I just ask a couple of questions regarding aligning? I believe I have the H4 adaptor plates with the projectors, when I come to refitting the headlight unit, how reliable are these keeping the projectors straight? Any tweaking needed when getting that straight line cut off?

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #25
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

they are alright, you do still have room to adjust them side to side, and yes you will have to to make it perfect. That headlight sealer piece is new and never came with my kits so that awesome if you have those, reduce moisture from entering the assembly.
take lots of pics along the way. let me know if you need advice.

oh! and go get some tinfoil tape! and wrap up the projector around the sides to prevent stray light from escaping! unless you want your headlight assembly to glow. you can kind of see it in my second picture.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #26
Eren_13

Thanks for the tips. I'll go ahead and get some foil tape. I had a test today with the shroud around the projector with a light inside just to check the cut off and not much scatter seemed to be present. So just foil around the projector where it's all open?

I'll make sure to take as many photos as possible. I'm in the last stages of getting is underway now. Need to find out if my radio will need recoding as I'm going to disconnect the battery, unless its safe to do whilst connected? Then I have to wait for a whole day of great weather as I don't k is how long it'll take me and in the UK at the moment good weather is hard to come by!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #27
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eren_13 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I'll go ahead and get some foil tape. I had a test today with the shroud around the projector with a light inside just to check the cut off and not much scatter seemed to be present. So just foil around the projector where it's all open?

I'll make sure to take as many photos as possible. I'm in the last stages of getting is underway now. Need to find out if my radio will need recoding as I'm going to disconnect the battery, unless its safe to do whilst connected? Then I have to wait for a whole day of great weather as I don't k is how long it'll take me and in the UK at the moment good weather is hard to come by!
I don't disconnect battery because i hate setting my stuff, although you should. And yes foil tape around the gaps around the projector, just don't stick the tape to the cutoff shield for obvious reasons. it wont stop scatter, it just gets rid of any light making the headlight "glow".
Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #28
Eren_13

That's great. I'll do that to avoid glowing. I'll cover all areas and see if I'll need to recode my radio if I do disconnect the battery. There's nothing in my owners manual to say it will need it, just that all preset stations will be lost. Seems fair enough and I don't mind redoing those, I just don't want it to screw up my sat-nav. I'll hopefully get some photos up soon of progress, like I say I'm just waiting for some good weather. I'll get started on the foil around the projector though. And get hold of some epoxy for fitting and some silicone for the shroud.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #29
Eren_13

Great start - by my measurements it doesn't seem my lights will fit in my oven. Crap :(
What's the alternative do peeling apart the headlights then? Also, I have the H4 adaptor plates, unless I haven't looked at them at the right angle it seems though the projectors are going to be slightly tilted if I use the plate - roughly 10 to 20 degrees off so the light cut off will not be dead straight. If this is the case any pointers on how to alter this to have them straight?

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #30
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

alternative to oven is a heat gun, i,ve never done it this way but all you need to do it melt the glue,
Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #31
Eren_13

Thanks again, sorry for the delay, I'd been away. Got the headlights out and began heating with the heat gun. I can't seem to fine where the lens peels away from the housing itself. I've had the heat on it for about 4 minutes all around and it does not seem to budge. The glue looks like it's just cracking and not becoming pliable. Can anyone help at all? I don't want to hack away at the lights and ruin where they're sealed. I've got a few photos - hopefully they help.

Last edited by Eren_13; 03-06-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #32
Eren_13

Front of the light just under the projector.

Same again

Looking from the back of the light at the top.

Hope these help. Can anyone see where it would separate and the best place to heat? Thanks all.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #33
Eren_13

Anything guys?

I'm struggling with this. I know that as soon as I get it open I'll be ok fitting it. Would really love to get this going :)
Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #34
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
So jealous of you doing this to a third gen before I can lol. Have you thought about putting them in the oven, yet? I haven't really looked at mine hardcore yet, but i thought there were also clips that hold the housings together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #35
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eren_13 View Post
Anything guys?

I'm struggling with this. I know that as soon as I get it open I'll be ok fitting it. Would really love to get this going :)

Neighbors oven?

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #36
Eren_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_miles View Post
So jealous of you doing this to a third gen before I can lol. Have you thought about putting them in the oven, yet? I haven't really looked at mine hardcore yet, but i thought there were also clips that hold the housings together?
Wouldn't be too jealous lol, I can't get the damn things open to retro them! My oven is too small and can't seem to get a uniform heat with the heat gun :( but yes, there are clips on there also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Neighbors oven?
Thanks for the reply. Same problem - just too small. Ovens seem to be wide enough to fit them, just not deep as the back of the headlight goes way further than originally anticipated. They are deceivingly large!

Tags
hid, projector, retrofit, yaris sr