Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
headlight upgrade

Thinking about these...what do y'all think? Anything y'all like better? Please post a link to the vendor.

http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota...d00000096.html

Thanks,
Pat
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
Those are eBay projector . They're okay quality ... Not the greatest , the halo is really dim can't really see it on the daylight . Output is a little weak , and after a year or so , the clear coat will start peeling .

My suggestion , go retrofit ... Go to retrofitstore.com and use their mini h1 kits , put your headlights in the oven and you will thank me later :)
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Yarflana

headlights in the oven? Must be in order to smoke them.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
vten

Nooo , in order to pry open the headlights, u need to bake them , so the glue/silicone would soften , and then you can install the projector kit.

YouTube them about headlight retrofits , and you'll know what I'm talking about .
Old 03-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
JustDidIt

Drives: '08G2T Prius
You will be severely disappointed with the ebay projector light output. Super weak light pattern...coming from cheap projectors..But if you don't care about that and just like the look, it is a quick fix.

Highly recommend the retrofit...check out mine on PriusChat...
http://priuschat.com/threads/my-head...d-leds.120936/
JustDidIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Yarflana

The retrofits look attractive, but also look like you have to modify a lot...I just don't know. I read on there there are two kits and one is easier to install, but there are so many options...who knows what to pick.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
Yarflana

I would rather just buy some headlights that I can replace the whole unit, plug it in, etc... and not have to put stuff in the oven and all that.

With that in mind, anything of the quality of retrofit that would work specifically for the Yaris?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ I have some like that in stock, pretty sure.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Yarflana

Yeah, Garm has what I am looking for. I don't care about super high intensity and stuff...just a good looking headlight vs. stock.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Emailing you some pics today. Meanwhile, about the oven thing, last time I opened up my headlight, I used a heat gun that I use for shrink wrap. worked my way around the edge -- but easier with two people.

Gooey black stuff!!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
JustDidIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarflana View Post
The retrofits look attractive, but also look like you have to modify a lot...I just don't know. I read on there there are two kits and one is easier to install, but there are so many options...who knows what to pick.
Tons of info on HIDPLANET - http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-FX-IS-e46-LR3

Two easiest Retrofits out there... require NO cutting to headlight.

Mini D2S

Mini H1

By Far the better wider brighter beam IMO is the H1

$270 http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarflana View Post
I would rather just buy some headlights that I can replace the whole unit, plug it in, etc... and not have to put stuff in the oven and all that.

With that in mind, anything of the quality of retrofit that would work specifically for the Yaris?
I agree that a $300 pair of eBay/aftermarket projector headlights sounds appealing - a quick fix - but that's exactly what it is. I guess if you don't know what your missing tho - then you'll be happy with 'Cr@p'

Shoot... if someone would send me all the parts I'd do the setup/install Just because its fun to do and the results are amazing. I've done my own and SUPER happy with the results.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
JustDidIt

Curious how this thread landed in performance mods. lol I was thinking more: Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior) ;)
Old 03-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

Drives: 2011 Toyota Vios
Hey I keep hearing about the retro fit head lights. I wanna go with black housing and some day running lights. I just gotta know how the retro fit thing works out. I'm going for the all black look. Black emblem, black wheels, black head lights, and smoked out tail lights.
HANZO_187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
vten

im selling my retrofitted headlights ...

TL's projectors, ZKW clear lenses, demon eyes , Phillips 82122+ d2s bulbs, morimoto harness and ballasts .

just saying :P
Old 03-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
JustDidIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANZO_187 View Post
Hey I keep hearing about the retro fit head lights. I wanna go with black housing and some day running lights. I just gotta know how the retro fit thing works out. I'm going for the all black look. Black emblem, black wheels, black head lights, and smoked out tail lights.
Here is an example of a 2006-2008 Yaris retrofit

BlackFlameCustoms Inc.

But who wants to pay $895??

Here is a DIY that i followed..

How to: Mount Morimoto Mini H1 Bi-xenon projectors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtesy of "usbseawolf2000" on PriusChat.com
Remove the screws highlighted in Red. See below.

Leave the ones highlighted in Green.

Headlight in the Oven. 265 deg F preheat and 7 minutes baked.

Headlight cover removed.

Remove the halogen H4 bulb cover. The bolt is in the back.

H4 bulb cover removed.

Mini H1 projector - Prepare it to look like this with the silicone rubber installed. Remove the H1 holder and the projector locking ring first.

Remove the high beam wires from the connector. Use a paper clip to push the two sides and it will slide through.

Snake the wires through the hole highlighted. You can see the rear of the Mini H1 projector.

Put the H4 adapter plate (comes with the projector) and screw the projector lock ring tight.

Silicone rubber sandwiched between the projector and the reflector.

How to: Mount Morimoto Mini D2S Bi-xenon projectors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtesy of "F8L" on PriusChat.com
This tutorial outlines the mounting procedure for the Morimoto Mini D2S Bi-xenon projectors.

Step 1: Remove all hardware from backside of the projector except for the big silicone crush washer (white)

Step 2: Insert threaded shaft through the pre-existing H4 bulb hole in the back of your reflector bucket.

Step 3: Align the projector rotationally by adding the H4/9003 adapter plate on the backside of the threads. The notch on the inside should slide down the channel for it on the projector. Run the wires for the solenoid (and CCFL's in this case) in the small cavity off to one side that remained after removing the metal halogen bulb shield.

Step 4: Slide the black rubber o-ring over the threads. Ensure it does not get twisted during the process.

Step 5: Tighten down the whole assembly by threading on and torquing the threaded lock-ring. Be careful not to over-tighten or it may break. You only need to have 2-3 rows of threads left to work with after this goes on.

Step 6: Clean your D2S bulbs thoroughly and then insert into the back of the projector. The notches will only allow it to go in one way. Put the metal split ring washer over the back, as shown.

Step 7: Add the black o-ring over top the split metal ring. The angled side should face down.

Step 8: Lock the bulb in with the end cap. This only needs to be hand-tight to the couple leftover threads.

The projector is now mounted and aligned in your headlight. In this particular retrofit, the Gatling Gun shroud was pre-affixed to the projector using silicone. Typically though, you'll mount the shroud after the projector is clamped onto your reflector. The original reflector bucket was also painted black before the installation, to help reduce unwanted reflections.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
vten

or this :)

Old 03-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #17
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

Drives: 2011 Toyota Vios
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDidIt View Post
Here is an example of a 2006-2008 Yaris retrofit

BlackFlameCustoms Inc.

But who wants to pay $895??

Here is a DIY that i followed..

How to: Mount Morimoto Mini H1 Bi-xenon projectors

How to: Mount Morimoto Mini D2S Bi-xenon projectors
That is pretty much how I want mine...I'm down for the retro fit if its not too costly. If its too high then I might go with an alternative. But thanks you and Vten form the info and examples. Both are looking Awesome.
HANZO_187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Trust me, you'd want the Mini H1 bolt on projectors over anything else. I wouldn't even bother with the eBay projectors at all.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote