Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #1
JohnnyRockets

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
So Today My Car Almost Got Stolen

I bike to work and today when I got home, I see the below image.

!@#$% ^&*(!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the pieces are on the ground below my door. Luckily, I think they botched it and couldn't get in. But I'm sure the !@#$ers will be back.

The parking garage is below my apartment. The WiFi signal reaches and is quite strong. Is there any sort of camera I can use that will:

A) Take pictures if motion is detected in the parking garage.
B) Upload pictures automatically to the internet (Dropbox etc).
C) Operate off of non-car battery power while the car is off.

Does something like this exist?

JohnnyRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
It makes me mad to see that damage...
If it was mine, I'd be spending nights in the car quietly waiting with a gun.

Perhaps a car alarm could help your situation.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
You could try something like a wifi baby monitor its a bit pricy though

http://www.amazon.com/Withings-Smart...s+baby+monitor
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
You can watch your car through your phone and even talk to the intruder lol such as you are calling the police you better leave now.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
If it was mine, I'd be spending nights in the car quietly waiting with a gun.
Unfortunately the burglar would probably know that (in California) you would have to have a reasonable fear of great bodily harm in order to use your gun, so he might not be afraid. You could, however, have a manual gun trap set up to get him/her and if that happened to kill him/her, that would be legal (People v. Ceballos).

The current law in Texas (part of which came to this point on September 1st 2007) is that your vehicle and your workplace are included (with your home of course) as part of your habitat...and the perception of what is reasonable or threatening is your perception (not what is reasonable to others)...and only three things have to be the case to allow your assumption to be valid = 1. Have a right to be at the location -- 2. not have provoked the other person -- and 3. you must not be in the process of committing a crime yourself.

IMO, the law in California in such a situation is liberal drivel and should instead be the same as it is in Texas.

I''ve had a few people, in the process of playfully teasing me about being from California, refer to the related statutes in California as 'The California Apology'.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #6
SilverSquash!
Stage ...Base

Drives: Toyota Yaris LB '07
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Unfortunately the burglar would probably know that (in California) you would have to have a reasonable fear of great bodily harm in order to use your gun, so he might not be afraid. You could, however, have a manual gun trap set up to get him/her and if that happened to kill him/her, that would be legal (People v. Ceballos).

The current law in Texas (part of which came to this point on September 1st 2007) is that your vehicle and your workplace are included (with your home of course) as part of your habitat...and the perception of what is reasonable or threatening is your perception (not what is reasonable to others)...and only three things have to be the case to allow your assumption to be valid = 1. Have a right to be at the location -- 2. not have provoked the other person -- and 3. you must not be in the process of committing a crime yourself.

IMO, the law in California in such a situation is liberal drivel and should instead be the same as it is in Texas.
bringing back memories of yesterdays test
Old 05-25-2013, 03:29 AM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSquash! View Post
bringing back memories of yesterdays test
....and the monumental hypocrisy of some prominent California legislators drives me nuts! U.S. Senators Diane Feinstein and Barbara Boxer have concealed carry permits, but they don't want 'Joe Citizen' to have one .
Old 05-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Oh man. Even I feel the urge to find and bodily harm whoever did that to your baby.
I don't like the laws in California at all when it comes to guns.
There is definitely something reassuring about having the right to protect yourself and your property.
It would be very upsetting and aggravating if that right was stripped from me.
Plus I'd miss my HK mini compact.

I know at night, On my Kia, I removed a relay.
If you know where they are, I'd recommend pulling the one for the fuel pump.
It will crank but it won't start.
That won't help with them breaking in, But they can't just go stealing it either.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
JohnnyRockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Perhaps a car alarm could help your situation.
The thing is that there have been a few cases of vandalism here in the past year. This time my car was the target. So I want to FIND the people who did this, not just to protect my car, but so everyone can benefit. So that hopefully we can arrest the !@#$ers that are doing this.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
JohnnyRockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
You could try something like a wifi baby monitor its a bit pricy though

http://www.amazon.com/Withings-Smart...s+baby+monitor
I thought about this, but it needs to have good battery life. This one has *1 hour* of battery life. I'm looking for something that lasts at least a full day while I'm at work.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
JohnnyRockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septembersrain View Post
Oh man. Even I feel the urge to find and bodily harm whoever did that to your baby.
Oh most DEFINITELY. When I first saw it, the amount of RAGE I felt was like no other. !@#$ !!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septembersrain View Post
[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Oh man. Even I feel the urge to find and bodily harm whoever did that to your baby.
I don't like the laws in California at all when it comes to guns.
There is definitely something reassuring about having the right to protect yourself and your property.
It would be very upsetting and aggravating if that right was stripped from me.
Plus I'd miss my HK mini compact.
I'm very fond of my adopted state. I'm one of those 'I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could' people. Re California, I love my family, I love the weather, and I love being able to go from snow skiing to the beach within the same day. California would probably inch ahead of Texas in my view IF it was administered/setup/run as Texas is, but that will likely NEVER happen....and it would have to happen for me to WANT to move back to California.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
JohnnyRockets

Those cameras look amazing! But unfortunately they need to be plugged into a wall socket. I'm looking for a battery operated one so I can put it *inside* my car, facing out. There are also no sockets in the parking garage. Maybe they make a battery-operated one?

-------------------------

Anyway, an update:

I just had a police office come by so I could file the official police report for vandalism. He recommended a car alarm of course, but if I didn't want to get one installed, car alarm stickers on the front side windows often deters thieves hahaha. Also good: a blinking red light on the dashboard to look like a car alarm. Thieves often see either one of these or both and just move on. Brilliant!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
Those cameras look amazing! But unfortunately they need to be plugged into a wall socket. I'm looking for a battery operated one so I can put it *inside* my car, facing out. There are also no sockets in the parking garage. Maybe they make a battery-operated one?

-------------------------

Anyway, an update:

I just had a police office come by so I could file the official police report for vandalism. He recommended a car alarm of course, but if I didn't want to get one installed, car alarm stickers on the front side windows often deters thieves hahaha. Also good: a blinking red light on the dashboard to look like a car alarm. Thieves often see either one of these or both and just move on. Brilliant!!!!!!
Most of the WiFi cameras use a power cube that is either 5V, 9V or 12V. You could simply snip the power wire and connect it to the car using a DC to DC converter (or voltage regulator).
Old 05-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
JohnnyRockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Most of the WiFi cameras use a power cube that is either 5V, 9V or 12V. You could simply snip the power wire and connect it to the car using a DC to DC converter (or voltage regulator).
Wouldn't that kill the car battery if I left the camera running all day?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
Wouldn't that kill the car battery if I left the camera running all day?
It depends on the camera. I have an LG one that draws less than 500mA @ 5VDC. That would be about 200 mA at 12VDC, which would take 3-4 days to kill the battery.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #18
JohnnyRockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It depends on the camera. I have an LG one that draws less than 500mA @ 5VDC. That would be about 200 mA at 12VDC, which would take 3-4 days to kill the battery.
Interesting. Since I bike to work, sometimes I don't use my car for a few days, so that might actually be an issue (getting to my car after half a week and the battery being dead).