Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
How long have you ever gone between oil changes?

Hi Yarisworlders,

Just curious the longest you guys have gone between oil changes. I'm kind of anal retentive about changing the oil, but am thinking about easing up my intervals a bit....
Thanks.

bj
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Using amsoil and doing 15k km between oil changes
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Most I've done was 13 months/ ~14k miles. Using Amsoil oil and oil filter.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
I've never gone over 3k miles. But I never drive far at all. 3k miles is about 6 months for me. I tend to change it before and after winter, and once in the summer.
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Mobile 1 and about every 10K, that's about 8 months for me.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Personally, I do the 5k oil change.

I was once part of a gas saving forum. There was a guy their touting this stuff called synlube (syn-lube) that was supposed to be a once in a lifetime oil change. I am no longer a member on that site (actually web site doesn't exist anymore) but last I heard, he was at 56,000 miles without changing it. We were all waiting for something catastrophic to happen.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
Personally, I do the 5k oil change.

I was once part of a gas saving forum. There was a guy their touting this stuff called synlube (syn-lube) that was supposed to be a once in a lifetime oil change. I am no longer a member on that site (actually web site doesn't exist anymore) but last I heard, he was at 56,000 miles without changing it. We were all waiting for something catastrophic to happen.
once a year oil change is possible with a bypass filter.

Most i've done is 10k km.. about 6.2k miles. I should stick to 5k oil change, but i think i will go with 3k changes, since i'm doing alot of short trips and condensation seem to build up in the winter.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
mobile 1 every 5k.....for the ppl that are doing it at 10k to 15k is just ridicules....ull pay for it in a long run. Also can and will void warranty .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
mobile 1 every 5k.....for the ppl that are doing it at 10k to 15k is just ridicules....ull pay for it in a long run. Also can and will void warranty .
10,000kms with synthetic oil is my routine, my last 2 Toyotas have gone 300K kilometers and never had any oil related problems.What problems do you expect me to pay for in the long run?
Old 02-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
I usually change my between 4500 and 5000 miles, which is about every four months for me.
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
for the ppl that are doing it at 10k to 15k is just ridicules....ull pay for it in a long run.
What do you consider a long run ? My longest interval between oil/filter changes on my Yaris has been 34,014 miles. I followed that up with the shortest interval (2,430 miles) re the next oil/filter change. My oil/filter change intervals through about 235k miles (15 changes with the last one at just under 226k ) are on post #62 (Page 4) on narly charley's Post your oil change regimen! thread (5 page thread started January of 2013). My 16th oil/filter change (post 76, page 5) was at 240,010 miles. I had Gullo Toyota change my spark plugs at about 208k miles, and they said my engine was in great condition at that point. They looked for things to recommend to me to do, and all they could come up with was the air filter...I had already purchased one (not at the dealership) and put it in right after I drove away from the dealership.

This new thread bentjazz just started has motivated me to plan time over the weekend to update my logbook (Thanks bentjazz! ). I keep all of my receipts in chronological order. I also write the miles on car, miles on tank, and MPG on each receipt (I record these while still at the pump)....so updating my logbook (last entry = August 2013 IIRC ) will be pretty easy. I just had my oil changed last week (274,071 miles)....only about 7k since last change, but I needed the free battery check. So 240k =16th, one at about 266-267k and probably one between 240k and 266-267k. So I'm at 18 or 19 changes overall....18 would put me at a bit over 15k between changes as an overall average. Other than tires/batteries/spark plugs/air filters/bulbs, etc (routine maintenance at extended intervals), and recent rear end damage (paid for by other driver's insurance company), the only repairs I've had to do are front wheel bearings at about 110k and a new alternator at about 159k. Still original clutch, transmission, all brake parts including pads and shoes, radiator (never a flush, just added coolant 1x), hoses, water pump, fuel system, exhaust system, engine (only 1 plug change and oil/filter changes as above and on narly charley's thread), AC system (never have had to touch it) etc.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 02-28-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added: (not at the dealership)...after the words purchased one
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I knew a guy in the late 1970's (became stepfather to one of my best friends). He had a big Chrysler that was about 10 years old (or more) and had 160k-170k+ miles on it. He claimed that he had never changed the oil on this vehicle. Knowing him.....and seeing and hearing the car....I think this was possibly the case .
Old 02-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
What do you consider a long run ? My longest interval between oil/filter changes on my Yaris has been 34,014 miles. I followed that up with the shortest interval (2,430 miles) re the next oil/filter change. My oil/filter change intervals through about 235k miles (15 changes with the last one at just under 226k ) are on post #62 (Page 4) on narly charley's Post your oil change regimen! thread (5 page thread started January of 2013). My 16th oil/filter change (post 76, page 5) was at 240,010 miles. I had Gullo Toyota change my spark plugs at about 208k miles, and they said my engine was in great condition at that point. They looked for things to recommend to me to do, and all they could come up with was the air filter...I had already purchased one (not at the dealership) and put it in right after I drove away from the dealership.

This new thread bentjazz just started has motivated me to plan time over the weekend to update my logbook (Thanks bentjazz! ). I keep all of my receipts in chronological order. I also write the miles on car, miles on tank, and MPG on each receipt (I record these while still at the pump)....so updating my logbook (last entry = August 2013 IIRC ) will be pretty easy. I just had my oil changed last week (274,071 miles)....only about 7k since last change, but I needed the free battery check. So 240k =16th, one at about 266-267k and probably one between 240k and 266-267k. So I'm at 18 or 19 changes overall....18 would put me at a bit over 15k between changes as an overall average. Other than tires/batteries/spark plugs/air filters/bulbs, etc (routine maintenance at extended intervals), and recent rear end damage (paid for by other driver's insurance company), the only repairs I've had to do are front wheel bearings at about 110k and a new alternator at about 159k. Still original clutch, transmission, all brake parts including pads and shoes, radiator (never a flush, just added coolant 1x), hoses, water pump, fuel system, exhaust system, engine (only 1 plug change and oil/filter changes as above and on narly charley's thread), AC system (never have had to touch it) etc.
^^^^^BTW, all dino oil.....no synthetic.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #14
Exiwolfman

all i can say do what you like , i work on cars everyday and see the importance of oil change. I find ppl are just cheap or lazy to keep to the 5k -8k interval ur car ur money..i see first hand what comes out in the cars with oil that was driven for over 10k...oil is just oil dont matter who makes it looses its viscosity and the ability to protect ur engine.
I have seen two , one a rav4 with no oil change since new with 89k when it came in with a blown engine..second a 2 yr old Venza 40k since the last oil was more like sludge.
Call me old school but i believe that best thing u can do for ur car is a regular oil change, specially with the new thinner oils that modern engines run..its like water. Yaris runs 5w30 or 0w20 syn or even 5w20 i did try 0w20 and did not like it more like the car did not like it, like i said its like water.
I use mobile 5w30 mainly cos of the cold weather start ups otherwise reg 5w30 is just fine the believe that u can run syn longer i dont think has any ground ...when i do my oil change after 5k it comes out clean not black ...but that is just me my car .
If everyone looked after cars like i do I would be out of work..lol

just my 2cents on this topic
Old 02-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #15
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
^ I believe this topic has been beaten quite a bit. Everyone has their preference. Let others run their car how they want to be - experience eventually leads to wisdom =].
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
all i can say do what you like , i work on cars everyday and see the importance of oil change. I find ppl are just cheap or lazy to keep to the 5k -8k interval ur car ur money..i see first hand what comes out in the cars with oil that was driven for over 10k...oil is just oil dont matter who makes it looses its viscosity and the ability to protect ur engine.
I have seen two , one a rav4 with no oil change since new with 89k when it came in with a blown engine..second a 2 yr old Venza 40k since the last oil was more like sludge.
Call me old school but i believe that best thing u can do for ur car is a regular oil change, specially with the new thinner oils that modern engines run..its like water. Yaris runs 5w30 or 0w20 syn or even 5w20 i did try 0w20 and did not like it more like the car did not like it, like i said its like water.
I use mobile 5w30 mainly cos of the cold weather start ups otherwise reg 5w30 is just fine the believe that u can run syn longer i dont think has any ground ...when i do my oil change after 5k it comes out clean not black ...but that is just me my car .
If everyone looked after cars like i do I would be out of work..lol

just my 2cents on this topic
I was just having a little fun (why I inserted the and ), but totally my fault that that didn't come accross -- on my part. I apologize . I truly, truly didn't mean to offend you. Of course more often is better. Except on things that have to do directly with safety (control arm bolts, brakes, anything else re steering, tread on tires = among what come to mind), I try to sort of play 'virtuoso of value' (squeezing the most out of the least) just to see if I can. If any of the things you mentioned happened, I would just buy a new car (given the miles on my current Yaris). I've looked at it that way for a long time. I realize everyone can't look at it that way, and I try not to be insensitive to that (especially these days), but sometimes I fail. Until recently, I thought (unconditionally) that I'd keep my Yaris after getting another one and either (to learn something new) try to teach myself how to fix it, or pay someone else to do the work (not letting it go because I'd have full knowledge of its history since new). Now I think that that will depend on mileage, what other cars are available at the time, and other factors.

Just out of curiosity (I really don't know, but am curious), are the issues you mention more likely to happen to owners who live in areas where harsh winters are the norm?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyzticZ3r0 View Post
^experience eventually leads to wisdom =].
I know that more is better. I'm sort of experimenting...going as far as I can without feeling alarmed and seeing If there is a consequence. I don't think I would sell an old car of mine to a private party (the last time I did that was at age 18). I've never had anything go wrong with the engine on a car that I purchased new. Ironically, the car that I had the most problems with, over the span of new to almost 195k miles, was the car that I was most fanatical about re changing the oil and filter....my GTI.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #18
Exiwolfman

GTI VW....no need to say more ...not offended everybody has there way of doing stuff maintenance is the key and as for climate ...it has a huge factor on ur car i so wish i did not have to deal with winter and use a torch on every bolt in order to remove it..lol
I say stock to ur car manual and ull be all right .