Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #1
Kal-El
 
Kal-El's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,197
Toyota's new subcompact will use Mazda's Skyactiv engine

.....................

Quote:
SALAMANCA, Mexico -- Toyota Motor Corp. will add Mazda’s fuel-efficient Skyactiv engine to its tiny stable of borrowed powerplants when it sources a new Mazda2-based subcompact from Mazda’s just-opened assembly plant here.

The car will get Toyota-designed sheet metal on the outside but Mazda’s high-compression, fuel-injected Skyactiv gasoline engine under the hood, said Keishi Egawa, CEO of Mazda’s operations in Mexico and director of its plant here.

“They will make model-specific investment for the Toyota vehicle,” Egawa said in an interview at last month’s factory opening. “Stamping, dies -- that is theirs,” he said, as well as “some of the interior design work.” But the Toyota spinoff will use “our engine,” he said.



The factory will allocate about 50,000 vehicles for Toyota from its full annual capacity of 230,000 units. Output for Toyota is expected to begin after April 1, 2015, but before March 31, 2016.

Using Mazda’s Skyactiv engine may help Toyota burnish the appeal of its subcompact offerings. The car is pegged to replace the lackluster Yaris, the latest generation of which arrived in the United States in the fall of 2011 with a carryover engine and transmission. It would be one of only a few direct-injection engines at Toyota. Only select Lexus nameplates, the Scion FR-S and some Japan-market Toyota sedans, such as the Crown, use direct injection.

For Mazda, it means maximizing economies of scale at its Mexican operation. It also allows Mazda to promote its Skyactiv technology as the powerplant for a well-respected rival.



Mazda has not released details of the next-generation Mazda2, but it is expected to enter production in Mexico as early as the second half of this year. The company began producing the Skyactiv-equipped Mazda3 sedan and hatchback at the site in January.

While the Japan-market Mazda2 already offers a 1.3-liter Skyactiv engine, the current U.S. version does not get Skyactiv treatment. The next generation is expected to receive the whole set of Skyactiv technologies, including the new engine, transmission and chassis.

Mazda is migrating its entire lineup to the lightweight Skyactiv architecture, which aims to boost fuel economy while maintaining responsive driving dynamics. A key mission of the Salamanca plant is to further the penetration of the Skyactiv lineup in other markets.



A Toyota spokesman confirmed that Toyota’s Mexican-built spinoff of the Mazda2 will get a Mazda engine assembled on-site. He declined to comment on what other Skyactiv technologies, such as chassis components, would be used in the Toyota version.

Toyota is no stranger to using engines from other manufacturers, although it does so rarely. Its Scion FR-S uses an engine from Subaru-builder Fuji Heavy Industries, and its Verso minivan gets a diesel engine from BMW AG. The Lexus LFA sports car, which ended production in 2012, was powered by a V-10 engine from Yamaha Motor Co.

In October, Mazda will open an engine machining shop next to its Salamanca assembly plant. It will be flexible enough to machine any engine in Mazda’s lineup, gasoline or diesel. Supplying some of the engines to Toyota may help it achieve better economies of scale.

Mazda currently mounts only the 2.0-liter Skyactiv gasoline engine in the Mazda3s assembled in Mexico. Mazda3s with the 2.5-liter engine are manufactured in Japan.

A Mazda spokesman declined to give future engine deployment plans for Mexico.

Last edited by Kal-El; 03-10-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #2
Kal-El
 
Kal-El's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,197
Interesting choice for Toyota. I guess they're having a hard time figuring out how to make money selling a sub-compact in the states. So this is the solution.

I'm getting a feeling that the "Yaris" name will be replaced. Tercel, Echo, Yaris, ???...

It's time for Toyota to make a good name and stick with it.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:44 AM   #3
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Very,very, interesting. Have you heard anything from any other source re how the Yaris will end? By that I mean...Will there be a 2015 Model Year Yaris? (4th year of normal 5 in a generation)?...or...Will they just keep selling 2014 Yari until they run out of them, thus intentionally leaving a void until the new vehicle enters the pipeline?....or...?????
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
Astroman
Modded Moderator
 
Astroman's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 3,698
Exactly what I am wondering. First I've heard of the yaris being retired

Maybe the lackluster part in the release could have been fixed by releasing some of the features sold in other countries, like AWD, turbo, other engine options, etc.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:20 AM   #5
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Maybe the lackluster part in the release could have been fixed by releasing some of the features sold in other countries, like AWD, turbo, other engine options, etc.
Yep. I agree 100%.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
mirapatec
 
mirapatec's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2017 Yaris iA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Georgia, U.S.A.
Posts: 201
Having looked at the options other countries get with their Yaris, I believe the Yaris sales in the US would be much higher if those options were available here. Sadly, I feel the Yaris is an afterthought by Toyota for the US market.
__________________
2012 Toyota Yaris L and 2017 Toyota Yaris iA

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Kal-El
 
Kal-El's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Very,very, interesting. Have you heard anything from any other source re how the Yaris will end? By that I mean...Will there be a 2015 Model Year Yaris? (4th year of normal 5 in a generation)?...or...Will they just keep selling 2014 Yari until they run out of them, thus intentionally leaving a void until the new vehicle enters the pipeline?....or...?????
Haven't seen any other info on it. Time table seems odd since the 3rd gen will be 4 years old for 2015. I have to assume this model will run through '15. That would be 1 year less than a typical cycle. My guess is an all new model for the 2016 model year. I think Mazda’s version (the Mazda2) will come out one year earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirapatec View Post
Having looked at the options other countries get with their Yaris, I believe the Yaris sales in the US would be much higher if those options were available here. Sadly, I feel the Yaris is an afterthought by Toyota for the US market.
The Yaris is most certainly largely ignored by Toyota in the US. It is simply a required offering at the bottom of the lineup. It helps with the CAFE number. With no money to be made with it they just did the minimum carrying over a 3 generation old engine and transmission.

Here's a look at what the Mazda2 will look like that Toyota with be sharing with.

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Haven't seen any other info on it. Time table seems odd since the 3rd gen will be 4 years old for 2015. I have to assume this model will run through '15. That would be 1 year less than a typical cycle. My guess is an all new model for the 2016 model year. I think Mazda’s version (the Mazda2) will come out one year earlier.
Thanks for the info. I hope you're right.....and that the manual transmission and the hand crank windows stay available on a 2015 USDM 3-door L.



Quote:
3 generation old engine and transmission.
I realize some consumers feel this is a negative, but I feel it enhances value per dollar and reliability....two important attributes in this market segment
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #9
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal
 
Thirty-Nine's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,121
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
The Prius c is outselling the Yaris is outselling the Yaris by more than a 2:1 ratio. Plus, there isn't much profit to be made on the Yaris, so there isn't much marketing. Totally not surprising. This is the case with most subcompact cars in the lineup.

Case in point, my buddy and I were car shopping yesterday. Stopped at the Mazda dealer to look at a Mazda2. First thing the guy said was, "Have you considered the Mazda3? It's bigger, gets better fuel economy ..."

Bring you in with the cheap subcompact in hopes of upselling you. After BSing with the sales guys (it was late and slow), they sales manager said they don't make any money on Mazda2s at all. He actually said after everything is said and done, the dealer takes a $795 loss on each Mazda2 they sell. While I'm sure they get some sort of kickback or incentive for selling damn near anything on the lot, I also believe they make nearly nothing if nothing on the sale of the subcompact Mazda. I'm guessing it's that way all around, too.

I think we'll see more of this platform/engine sharing as manufacturers look to cut costs and increase profits on small cars.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
ciscobear
 
Drives: Toyota Belta
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Barbados
Posts: 196
I'm convinced these guys are mad as hell. They expect sales from selling a lack luster car?
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
The Prius c is outselling the Yaris is outselling the Yaris by more than a 2:1 ratio. Plus, there isn't much profit to be made on the Yaris, so there isn't much marketing. Totally not surprising. This is the case with most subcompact cars in the lineup.

Case in point, my buddy and I were car shopping yesterday. Stopped at the Mazda dealer to look at a Mazda2. First thing the guy said was, "Have you considered the Mazda3? It's bigger, gets better fuel economy ..."

Bring you in with the cheap subcompact in hopes of upselling you. After BSing with the sales guys (it was late and slow), they sales manager said they don't make any money on Mazda2s at all. He actually said after everything is said and done, the dealer takes a $795 loss on each Mazda2 they sell. While I'm sure they get some sort of kickback or incentive for selling damn near anything on the lot, I also believe they make nearly nothing if nothing on the sale of the subcompact Mazda. I'm guessing it's that way all around, too.

I think we'll see more of this platform/engine sharing as manufacturers look to cut costs and increase profits on small cars.
I like the current Mazda 2. I just look at the owner reviews I come across, and I don't think I have ever read one where the owner was getting 40 MPG (or more) combined. A fair number of us here on Yarisworld get those numbers (and more would without 'a lead foot' ).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
The Prius c is outselling the Yaris is outselling the Yaris by more than a 2:1 ratio. Plus, there isn't much profit to be made on the Yaris, so there isn't much marketing. Totally not surprising. This is the case with most subcompact cars in the lineup.

Case in point, my buddy and I were car shopping yesterday. Stopped at the Mazda dealer to look at a Mazda2. First thing the guy said was, "Have you considered the Mazda3? It's bigger, gets better fuel economy ..."

Bring you in with the cheap subcompact in hopes of upselling you. After BSing with the sales guys (it was late and slow), they sales manager said they don't make any money on Mazda2s at all. He actually said after everything is said and done, the dealer takes a $795 loss on each Mazda2 they sell. While I'm sure they get some sort of kickback or incentive for selling damn near anything on the lot, I also believe they make nearly nothing if nothing on the sale of the subcompact Mazda. I'm guessing it's that way all around, too.

I think we'll see more of this platform/engine sharing as manufacturers look to cut costs and increase profits on small cars.
I love the Prius c, I just don't want to give up having a manual transmission. A Honda hybrid with a manual transmission won't work (for me) in this climate (my understanding is that with those particular models, the A/C doesn't work when it's on electric power). Most people don't care about having a manual transmission, so I can see why the Prius c is doing so well when compared to the Yaris.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
Exiwolfman
 
Exiwolfman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wasaga beach
Posts: 1,616
i dont get it cos Prius C here starts at 25k a LE Yaris is 15k that is a huge jump in price as for km saved on fuel ...do the math and its not worth it. I do understand why engine share with Mazda...save money make money at least they did not pick ford engines lol
My next car will be a new Yaris 2012 up but then again the Mazda2 looks nice and very well priced....pluse it would be my 5th Mazda lol im only on my second Toyota.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
i dont get it cos Prius C here starts at 25k a LE Yaris is 15k that is a huge jump in price as for km saved on fuel ...do the math and its not worth it. I do understand why engine share with Mazda...save money make money at least they did not pick ford engines lol
My next car will be a new Yaris 2012 up but then again the Mazda2 looks nice and very well priced....pluse it would be my 5th Mazda lol im only on my second Toyota.
The spread is smaller here. The Yaris LE starts at $16,015 + destination + T & L and the Prius c One starts at $19,080 + destination + T & L.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #15
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing
 
fnkngrv's Avatar
 
Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In The Hotbox
Posts: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I love the Prius c, I just don't want to give up having a manual transmission.
Period. End. Of. Story.





Disclaimer: To me it also includes women...even more so with women honestly!

__________________
Team Tiamat Racing on Facebook


Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing


Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #16
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing
 
fnkngrv's Avatar
 
Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In The Hotbox
Posts: 4,770
Thing that will really suck for anyone wanting to be an enthusiast per my understanding is that there are barely any mods for the SkyActiv mills. Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know most folks don't purchase a Yaris for "enthusiasm" sake, but it is still something to consider. About the only interesting thing that I have seen is an SRI that is actually giving folks 2-3mpg higher results than stock which for many folks pays off the SRI in a year with roughly $165-$180 in savings.
__________________
Team Tiamat Racing on Facebook


Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing


Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Period. End. Of. Story.





Disclaimer: To me it also includes women...even more so with women honestly!

nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Period. End. Of. Story.





Disclaimer: To me it also includes women...even more so with women honestly!

I only know three women I would let drive me around at a very high rate of speed. I'm related to one of them, and NEITHER of the other two (one of whom owns a Glock 9) would EVER have a DD that was equipped with anything but a manual transmission !
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Nitrous Thread ChinoCharles Performance Modifications 116 02-16-2016 04:07 PM
DIY: Intake Installation redyaris DIY / Maintenance / Service 53 08-23-2014 05:34 AM
The last gas question Tonavi DIY / Maintenance / Service 56 04-27-2009 08:40 PM
engine swap update Adriaan Canada 5 03-03-2009 07:21 PM
Info regarding Engine change. sheraz2000 General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 5 01-08-2009 01:51 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.