Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #1
07yaris_fe

Drives: 07 Yaris HB RS
HID

anyone install HID kit to 2007 Yaris???
I'm having problem with the HID kit that i have.
I got a H4 HID kit it work but my DRL have problem
anyone can tell me how to disable the DRL?
Once I release handbrake, the light keep flashing........
so how i'm driving with my HID on all the time =(

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS

Last edited by 07yaris_fe; 06-17-2006 at 02:09 PM.
07yaris_fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
please tell me that huge pic, isn't your sig....

and sorry i have no idea what could be wrong with your HID
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
silverRS

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Silver
not sure dude Im not an HID expert, but seriously though why all that cash bro??? just pop in some $100 PIAA's and it looks killer trust me, I replaced my lamps and fog's. do it......do it
silverRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:55 PM   #4
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Drives: Turbo IS300
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverRS
not sure dude Im not an HID expert, but seriously though why all that cash bro??? just pop in some $100 PIAA's and it looks killer trust me, I replaced my lamps and fog's. do it......do it
You obviously don't know much about HID's.

$100 PIAA's output the same or less light as the factory bulb.

HID's output about 3x more visible light and use less energy.
Most aftermarket bulbs actually significantly decrease your visible light...but it makes your light look cooler.

Link to the H4 HID you have?

Wiring should be pretty straight forward.
Get rid of long lengths of slack in the wiring because it affects the firing of the ballast.
SophieSleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:27 AM   #5
Chickon

Drives: Mazda RX-8
in order to get help from any of us.

First you have to tell us what EXCATLY the problem that you have ?

and yes, most aftermarket blub give you less light. but some, will get a little more than factory.

and for HID, it does use less energy but it draws alot of current during the first few minutes. just make sure that the wire can handle it.
Chickon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
Ron

Drives: BBM Yaris HB
try disabling your day time running lights
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:58 PM   #7
silverRS

ok sophie I know exactly what HID lights are, so try not to sound so cool next time you want to say something. All Im trying to say is installing nice PIAA bulbs will absolutely increase visibility since I have them in already, instead of installing a three times the price HID kit. I like the kits no doubt (www.buyhidkit.com) just suggesting other methods so chillax.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:02 AM   #8
Ron

Drives: BBM Yaris HB
i've had really good success with piaa bulbs in the past also. but they are pricey for what they are. definite improvement from stock, but $100+cdn is a lot to spend on a couple of bulbs.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:01 AM   #9
tca4

Drives: Yaris RS (white)
Does anyone know if the Fog lights are H11 or not
tca4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tca4
Does anyone know if the Fog lights are H11 or not
Ur owner's manual has that info. Have a read. It's there for a reason. :)

Blue output lights of any nature decrease output, increase glare, even worse in rain, fog, and snow, and your eyes (and other road user's eyes) are less sensitive to the blue spectrum. Adding a colour filter does not make it "cool" but that last point is subjective. The rest is factual.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #11
silverRS

yeah I agree HID lights do piss me off, but If you install 5000's or under they aren't that bad
Old 05-23-2006, 09:04 PM   #12
SmellyTofu
好多人&

"they aren't that bad" = worse than stock
Old 05-24-2006, 12:08 PM   #13
silverRS

worse than stock?? no 5000's (HID's) and lower are brighter than 6000's and above (less blue and purple) and are way brighter than stock. Just go look at the site I posted.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:58 PM   #14
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Light is measured in Lumens... not °K. Colour temp does not play a role in output. Any tinting of halogen will reduce light output over the clear bulb equivalent.

Colour temperature however creates a sense of brightness without the bright bit. It's the glare the fools the brain to thinking it's bright. This rule applies to any sort of lights.

Mind you retrofitting HID to a car is illegal so get ready for a fix-it ticket. :)
Old 05-24-2006, 04:06 PM   #15
TC-LIFTBACK

Drives: 2007 Liftback
You are going to want to get some custom projectors or find some projectors which will work for the Yaris before you throw in a HID bulbs/ballast set.

degrees K determines the color temperature. 5500 is natural white light (like the sun), the greater the number, the more blue to purple it gets, the less the number the more yellow it gets. It appears brightest when it's around the 5500K range.

Lumens is the light strenght output. HID's give off more Lumens than the halogen bulbs (they are more efficient in terms of Lumens/watt usage) but you don't want it to glare, so people are going to have to figure out a projector solution for this car, if that's your thing. It's pricey, and because of that, not worth it. Rather spend money on modding other parts of the car or buy a new furance for the house.

Maxima.org has lots of information on HID's.
TC-LIFTBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #16
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverRS
All Im trying to say is installing nice PIAA bulbs will absolutely increase visibility since I have them in already,
That's because you're stupid.

Any coating on glass is a filter. You filter anything, and you will get less visible light emitting out and more heat generated on the surface.

Your PIAA is a filtered bulb.

Put a blue sunshade over your window. You get less light but it's now blue. It's the same thing that's happening to your bulb.

The site you gave www.buyhidbulbs.com lists autovizion as the manufacturer of the bulbs and ballasts.
Good luck using them.

Last edited by SophieSleeps; 05-24-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:14 PM   #17
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
Light is measured in Lumens... not °K. Colour temp does not play a role in output. Any tinting of halogen will reduce light output over the clear bulb equivalent.

Colour temperature however creates a sense of brightness without the bright bit. It's the glare the fools the brain to thinking it's bright. This rule applies to any sort of lights.

Mind you retrofitting HID to a car is illegal so get ready for a fix-it ticket. :)
True, but K temp does affect visible light output.

Sounds like you know your stuff about lighting and are past the ricing that these other people are just getting into.

Changes in color temp move the range of light output so that the majority of light falls in a different wavelength of light.

They may output the same in Lumens, but if the human eye can't perceive the light, it's useless.

4k bulbs outputting 3k lumens and a 8k bulb outputting 3k lumens will be very different in terms of visible light.

Regardless.
4300-5000k is generally accepted as the best for the most usable light.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #18
silverRS

Ok Sophie I don't know what's up your @$$ exactly but do you honestly think I don't know this???? I'm just getting into 'ricing' lol.... I’m not sure why I'm even responding to your blabbery, but you'll have to remove that object from your rear one of these days I'm afraid lol.......but please feel free to give all the information you want that I 'have no idea about'.....yes please.....a publishing perhaps would be great I'll buy one.