Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
Papamoon
07 Black LB

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
ZPI crank pully is squeaking....

I've been driving with my ZPI pully for about 6k miles now. It has worked great, and I haven't had any problems until it started getting warmer. My belt has started squeaking ever since the temperature went up. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I got out the torque wrench and cranked it, but it was already at 135. I made sure that the alternater was in the right spot, no slipping. Everything is the same as when I installed it. The thing that bugs me is when I look down at the pully, it looks like it has a slight wobble to it. Any suggestions?
Papamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
mine squeaks a bit too when I first turn on the engine, for like half a second... I think the mechanics didn't tighten the belt enough, but there's also some silicone spray you can apparently use to reduce the squeaking...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
mine squeaks a bit too when I first turn on the engine, for like half a second... I think the mechanics didn't tighten the belt enough, but there's also some silicone spray you can apparently use to reduce the squeaking...
yea mine does the exact same thing.....!!!

well not everytime i start the engine...prob once every week it does that. But im fine with it.....hope it doesnt lead to any big hassles in the long run.

"belt dressing" can be used to long life your belt and make it grip to the pulley. It will also reduce the squeaks. Though use the belt dressing at ur own risk since theres a 50/50 chance that using the belt dressing can cause major damage to the belt.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Papamoon
07 Black LB

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Yeah, mine throws a squeak right when i start it up, then it goes away, but after I've been driving for about 30 mins, when I'm at idle, it squeaks then as well....
Papamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Toyotech
Your Toyota Technician

Drives: 06 Cobalt SS/SC, 06 Rolla S
Send a message via AIM to Toyotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papamoon View Post
Yeah, mine throws a squeak right when i start it up, then it goes away, but after I've been driving for about 30 mins, when I'm at idle, it squeaks then as well....
then adjust the belt some... these are the same issues with all nz's with udp's or not. at about 10-15 during a svc i would normally adjust the bolt a few turns. the belts stretch...
Toyotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
365Motorwerks

Drives: Small and Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotech View Post
then adjust the belt some... these are the same issues with all nz's with udp's or not. at about 10-15 during a svc i would normally adjust the bolt a few turns. the belts stretch...
Good Call!
I had the same thing when I swapped belts the new one worked great for a bit then started squealing a month or so later, loosened the nut pulled the alternator tight with help of a pry bar tightened the nut back up...good to go 5mins max! Go for it you can do it!
365Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Swap it for a NST pulley
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #8
365Motorwerks

Drives: Small and Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Swap it for a NST pulley
The pulley doesn't matter is what we were getting at, it is not adjusted that's where the squealing is comming from it is the same on stock pulleys any car...
365Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
carlosh

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2005 Motor 1NZFE
Send a message via MSN to carlosh Send a message via Yahoo to carlosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papamoon View Post
I've been driving with my ZPI pully for about 6k miles now. It has worked great, and I haven't had any problems until it started getting warmer. My belt has started squeaking ever since the temperature went up. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I got out the torque wrench and cranked it, but it was already at 135. I made sure that the alternater was in the right spot, no slipping. Everything is the same as when I installed it. The thing that bugs me is when I look down at the pully, it looks like it has a slight wobble to it. Any suggestions?
Hi, check the two nut (bolt) they hold the alternator, in the inside it must be well tight. it happened to me that I did not tighten the nut under the alternator well, but I tightened the one of the tension well. The belt vibrations if this nut is not correct tighten...

regards...
carlosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #10
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
im surprised toyotech didn't say this but DON'T spray anything on the belts. it just screws them up and then your out 60 bones for a new one.....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:38 AM   #11
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Quote:
This might be the solution.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote