Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
markpeppie

Drives: yaris 2007aero
winter control

wondering what the yaris handles like in the winter, more spec montreal and our hell roads
markpeppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
my hatchback was not too bad in the winter, but it is a light car with small narrow wheels, so in heavy snow conditions, it likes to follow the ruts
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
I didn't get my Yaris until April, so no serious winter testing. I did make a point of asking 5 or 6 different Echo owners about winter driving (yes, I actually stopped people getting out of their cars at the grocery store), and all reports were positive. I know winters are severe in Montreal, but we do get our share of winter storms on the shores of Georgian Bay too.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
NickNickNick

Drives: 06 Silver Yaris 3-door Manual
Had my Yaris in December, and drove around the much more hellish streets of Regina, Saskatchewan for 4 months and can say I was pretty impressed with how easily the car handled. The ABS saved me a couple of times from hitting a curb and a car, but compared to the car I had prior to the Yaris, it does an awesome job.
NickNickNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
I didn't get my Yaris until April, so no serious winter testing. I did make a point of asking 5 or 6 different Echo owners about winter driving (yes, I actually stopped people getting out of their cars at the grocery store), and all reports were positive. I know winters are severe in Montreal, but we do get our share of winter storms on the shores of Georgian Bay too.

Which grocery store? LOL

Loblaws, A&P, PriceChopper or IGA thats awesome!

I had a lady chat me up about my Yaris at hte Macs when I was filling up like 3 weeks ago, her daughter wanted to get a new ride and was thinking about the new Yaris... i gave rave reviews

Jem
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:18 AM   #6
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
Should probaly pick up a set of snow tires for the front. They're $60-75 each so its not so bad.
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:30 AM   #7
Jola1

Drives: 06 Yaris 3dr YRX
Reading about the challenges of winter driving in the Northern Hemisphere mkes me love living in South Australia.......

no snow

EVER.........
Old 06-07-2006, 08:35 AM   #8
ricko

For Montreal, I would suggest real snow tires on all 4 corners. I've been there many times in winter, I know what you are up against.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #9
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
jola1, snow can be a pain to drive in when you need to get somewhere quickly, it can also be a lot of fun to drive in,
(and also a lot of fun, skiing, snowboarding, skating, tobogganing (yippee), hockey,)

i wouldn't trade canadian winters for anything because we also get the sun and heat in the summer- best of both worlds
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:43 AM   #10
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
maybe get new rims for the summer(spring and fall if you have them), and put snow tires on the factory rims to use in the winter

thats my plan atleast...
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:27 AM   #11
Frink

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 5 door 5 speed
I am a big believer in having a seperate snow tires and rims, the extra traction and control is well worth the price.
Plus, as a bonus, your summer tires last twice as long and your alloy rims stay nicer, longer.
I picked up my Yaris in December and really had no problems with traction through the winter here in Ontario's snow belt.
I always chuckle when I see these people in SUV's with balding all season, or massive 20" tires thinking they're invincible in the winter... only to find them in the ditch up the road.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:32 AM   #12
ricko

I fully agree with the above posts ....... snow tires + winter wheels certainly have advantages. My Acura dealer didn't even charge me for the bi-annual change-over!!!!!!! I don't expect the same from the Toy Store, but it would be nice.