Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
jaggurnaut

Drives: 2007 - Yaris
30K throttle service

I just put 30K on my Yaris and took it in to the dealer for the 30K. Just got a call about a $60 throttle service (remove carbon) and a $30 air filter sensor service (will have to buy air filter sensors at 50K if service not performed). The 30K service costs $290. What do you guys think? Am I being overcharged and is the service necessary.

My yaris is a manual driven in mostly hilly areas. Its a commuter car and I absolutely need it everyday.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
jaggurnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
i thought they cover everything when you take it into them?? i got the complete package, I figure if there is some kind of service they think is necessary and its still under warranty, shouldnt they eat it???
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
-m-

Drives: stock for now
Pretty sure they'll get out of it by calling it maintenance. When I got mine the dealer told me that I have to do required maintenance on the car or my waranty will be voided. They are talking about the oil changes but I'm sure they will figure out something else to call maintenance and charge me for it sooner or later.
-m- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I may be wrong on this, but I thought we had 100K miles before a tune up. What the hell is this crap they are trying to pull?

Does your car still perform properly with decent MPGs?

Dealer$hip$ do love the $ervice package$ though.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:07 AM   #5
vacantj

Drives: Yaris 4Dr sedan
I thought it was 100K before any service but the guy at the dealer said that there is a 30K service.. So not sure about the 100K service rumor?
vacantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:20 AM   #6
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I am sure those are things that you can do yourself and if they tell you it will void your warranty if they dont do it then they are full of it. Unless you blow something up.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:41 AM   #7
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
If it worries you much, and its seems like a scam....go to a reliable third-party repair shop. I know I will be doing this because mine are reliable, just only thing is...they dont use synthetic oil for oil changes and replace old filters w/cheap filters.....
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:54 AM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
If it worries you much, and its seems like a scam....go to a reliable third-party repair shop. I know I will be doing this because mine are reliable, just only thing is...they dont use synthetic oil for oil changes and replace old filters w/cheap filters.....
what are you talking about? I don't know of one shop in my shit as town of Toledo that changes oil, that the minimun is sinthetic blend, and full synthetic is avalible everywhere..... what island do you live on where there is no synthetic oil?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
The throttle body service is an easy DIY. Air filter sensor??? Do they mean mass airflow sensor (MAF) cleaning? This can also be done yourself... Just research it, their both very easy with the correct cleaners.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
what are you talking about? I don't know of one shop in my shit as town of Toledo that changes oil, that the minimun is sinthetic blend, and full synthetic is avalible everywhere..... what island do you live on where there is no synthetic oil?
Dude, most shops in my area use conventional oil by default as well as the cheapest filters known to man. Engine problems ARE their bread and butter you know. 3000 mile conventional oil changes are also money in the bank for them.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #11
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
thats bullshit they're overcharging you. especially since u can do it yourself

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
thanks for the back-up nsmitchell ^_^. Black Yaris ya gotta understand.....each state's different and each state's got their own way of doign things. And not to be racist or anything...even though the majority of my friends consist of asians......

Theres A LOT of asians opening up repair shops where I live...and if theres one thing you know about them, its this: they'll use whatever inexpensive method to get the money they need and make it somewhat half-assed decent work on a car, boat, or anything. Trust me, they wouldnt want to waste their money using synthetic oil on cars THEY dont drive or care about~

Nonetheless....that repair shop saved me from other corrupt repair shops so...there still pretty good. I may end up doing oil changes myself to go synthetic.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #13
Toyota Technician

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris LB MT
i do a throttal body service EVERY 15 k on all my vehicles due to carbon buildup mostly because of the crappy gas now days, carbon is a byproduct of the combustion engine their is nothing u can do to prevent it and yes it is maintance. carbon stops up ur iac valve that may cause a searching idle condition and sometimes a no idle condition also a throttal body service helps the engine overall preform better it is also very easy to do yourself as for the air filter senser they are talking about cleaning the mass air flow senser are dealer does not even sell this serivice but keeping t clean can only help the maf read more accurate u can by the cleaner at a part store also.

the only way ANY car manufacture can void a warrenty is to directly prove ur modification or in this cace what u didnt buy caused the failure directly without a dought so in my opinion no thay cannot void ur warrenty.

are cars have 100k plugs and 100kish coolent depnding on conditions where u live.
sorry for the long post lust wanted to give accurate info
Toyota Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #14
jaggurnaut

Drives: 2007 - Yaris
thanks for all replies

Sorry for disappearing (internet problems). Got the 30K service + Throttle body cleanup and MAF cleanup for $400 at the only toyota dealer for 50 miles in this backwaters of West Virginia (just moved here from Chicago). Donno any reliable third party service centers and dont even have a place to do DIY services 'cos i live in an apartment with gravel road-side parking. So I am eating it for now. I envy all you guys with your 'garages' and 'driveways'.
jaggurnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #15
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggurnaut View Post
Sorry for disappearing (internet problems). Got the 30K service + Throttle body cleanup and MAF cleanup for $400 at the only toyota dealer for 50 miles in this backwaters of West Virginia (just moved here from Chicago). Donno any reliable third party service centers and dont even have a place to do DIY services 'cos i live in an apartment with gravel road-side parking. So I am eating it for now. I envy all you guys with your 'garages' and 'driveways'.
You got scammed! If you look at your maintenence schedule booklet, and if what the dealer says cannot be reconciled to it, then it is probably not necessary. Did they fix a problem? Was your car problem free when you took it there? You got screwed....if you paid with a credit card, place the charge on hold and put it in dispute....then negociate with the dealer for a much lower price.

Don't be so foolish next time...
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #16
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Dude, there are repairs shops out here that do oil change + filter for like $10-$15, use the cheapest brands they can find to drive in business for other repair work in the future. Kioshi and I live in Cali, i am sure we have a good supply of synthetic oils on hand at these repair shops, but thats where they get you they price synthetic oils as if they were liquid gold. Toyota Dealerships out here are the same $20-$30 oil changes and they use conventional oils, we should all move to toledo for the royal treatment
, but back to the question at hand, most of the repairs they offer are an easy way to get some money from you, i would go to a good repair shop and pay half the price, for the same service they are recommending.

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #17
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Like Pavel said, if it isn't in the maintenance schedlue that came with your car originally, then it simply can't void your warranty. There are two maintenance schedules: the Toyota one, written by and for Toyota, which will preserve the life of your car, and then there is the dealership's recommendations, which are specifically designed to ilk your hard-earned cash away from you. There is nothing that your dealership can do as long as you follow the Toyota factory maintenance recommendations. Easy as pie.
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #18
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
You got scammed! If you look at your maintenance schedule booklet,

Talking about the schedule book....mine got ruined....anyone know if a PDF for it? I am not really concerned with the warranty stuff as I have a good rapport with the dealer here. I just want to know what the schedule is...thanks in advance if anyone has anything.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote