View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #13
scarsofcarma

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo
Loss of accelerator pedal response

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Nice! That's the location I used for my F/IC. I drilled a little hole in my glovebox and threaded the USB cable through. Sure, it would have been easier to put it in the engine bay from a wiring perspective, but I didn't trust it under there in the 'elements'.

Sucks about the nail. Do you replace the whole tire, or patch it from the inside?
I didn't have time to dismount the tire and patch it from the inside. I just used a plug.

Well the auto-x yesterday didn't go as planned. 😕 In the middle of my second run I lost all throttle response on the pedal. (Same as what happened at the first event) When this happens the engine still runs, but you have to stop and turn the ignition off-and-on again before the pedal response comes back.

Because I moved the ECU I no longer think this is an ECU related issue at all. It must be an issue in the drive-by-wire system, not the programming. Probably a faulty pedal assembly or throttle body actuator?

Anyway I had the car stopped and going again in just 20 seconds or whatever, but each time somebody stops on course they have to throw the red flag 🚩 just in case I can't get the car started again. I didn't want to keep blocking others or delaying the event if this was gonna be a recurring issue so I parked the Yaris for the rest of the event and just did my corner-working duties.

But the good news is the Yaris was already putting down a faster lap then the Mini Cooper 'S' or the Fiesta ST that were in the same 'extreme street' category. By the end of the day I can usually improve my first lap pace by about 4 seconds. It would be interesting to see what pace it would ultimately have done. 🏁

The new control arms work great. Very stiff. I can even feel a difference on the highway by the way the bumps are fed into the suspension. I might have to adjust the coilovers a bit to smooth them out again.

The hood risers work great also. I noticed lower temps on the highway and in the paddock by about 20 degrees F°. Most importantly, the Redline MT90 really helped the first gear synchro issue. There was no longer much drama downshifting into first gear. I am happy about that 😊

On the way back from the track, there was also a few moments of a 'throttle flare' where the revs would randomly kick up a couple thousand rpms in a parking lot just creeping along. This also indicates a drive-by-wire issue.

I am downloading the Haltech software into my roommates laptop. I intend to observe live data for the throttle pedal and throttle body actuator to see if I can catch a glitch in the voltage sweeps.

Does anyone else know of any typical drive-by-wire issues with these vehicles?
scarsofcarma is offline   Reply With Quote