Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
megan coilover settings

With my wheels mounted now I am trying to get my fitment and ride height just perfect but I'm running into some issues. I have Megan coilovers and sit on xxr 531 in 15x8 +20 with 195/50/15s

1. My driver rear tire is getting beat up. All of my other tires have little to no rubbing but my rear driver tires is getting so gouged it looks like I could be splitting my sidewall in the future if it keeps up. My fronts are rolled with a slight pull so i can see why those would not rub. The rear passenger side does not even have any wear marks. Both rears are set to springload practically 0 and the stiffness is set to 6 (1 being hardest 32 being softest).

2. In the fronts I use the spacing between the springload collars and the locking nut on the bottom shaft to measure ride height. The passenger side is set to 39mm between and the driver side is set to 42-43mm. However the passenger side has ~ 20 mm between tire and fender, and my driver side has only ~ 5mm. So the passenger side is set lower than the driver side but sits higher??? What is going on here?

I have a theory that both issues are caused by my weight being only on the one side. I rarely drive with a passenger except when my 115lb gf rides in it every now and then. I weigh ~230 lbs right now and could the fact that I only sit on the one side be causing the passenger side to not settle? Is my weight also too much resistance for the damper to rebound against causing my fat ass to push the rear on top of the tire?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by 1.5; 08-12-2012 at 02:27 PM.
1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
any pics of the install?

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Form>Function

You mean the install or how its set now?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Couple of things...

Ride height should be set by fixed points on the car, not how many threads etc. you have on your collars.

Pictures would help a lot.

Assuming you had the car aligned after your install, or after your install and your adjustments, what are your exact alignment settings?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
I would go to set the drop you want first, put the rear shim , get alignment and if it's still rubbing then you can roll the fender or in my case is the connection between the rear bumper and the lower fender, that needen to be cut a little and hammered flat.
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Form>Function

OK I will get some pics up of how I'm set up now.

Garm regarding the measurements, the heights of each coilover from left to right can be at different heights while the actual ride height of the car would be the same?

No alignment. Would an alignment effect ride height? I guess it could explain the one tire rubbing. Don't know why I didn't think of that lol.

Yeah Tan I guess I can't really complain when there are so many variables possibly out of spec. I do need to shave that bracket it rubs the fronts on hard turns. Might go with a bumper quick release.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
here's my alignment spec...

when I first put my xxr wheels on , it stuck out like a 4x4 , but after the camber bolt installed and the alignment done , it tucked in slightly ....no front fender mod done

good luck 1.5 ! ( i dont remember your name ...I feel bad :D)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaris alignment spec.jpg (520.7 KB, 189 views)
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Form>Function

Phil, but I'm getting my alarm and alignment done this week. Hopefully that fixes my issue.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
Form>Function

So I took the yaris in for an alignment and still have some questions.

I had the ingalls ez camber bolts installed and an alignment done. The ingalls bolts I believe go up to -1.75 however the tech installed them and told me they maxed out at -1.18 on driver side and -1.13 on passenger. He said the spindle was touching the shock body and he could not set them any further. I even had him remove the bolts and reinstall them and paid for the additional labor time for him to do so??

On the rears the tech told me he could no make any adjustments. I get that camber/toe would need shims but he said the rears can't even be aligned and that dropping the car and mounting wheels barely effect the alignment. I though alignment could always be adjusted???

I want to know if this is accurate information and if not, what is the real story?

Also I continue to have rubbing on only my rear driver's side tire but none of the others??

Top numbers are front, bottom numbers are rear

IMG_20120818_151022.jpg

Old 08-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
He said the spindle was touching the shock body
Can you get under there and take a picture of that?

I use the same bolts and I can go to -2.5 by rotating them correctly.

Did he offer to oval the holes at all? That's a common technique to get more (mine aren't though).

Why are two tire sizes listed on your report?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
Form>Function

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Can you get under there and take a picture of that?

I use the same bolts and I can go to -2.5 by rotating them correctly.

Did he offer to oval the holes at all? That's a common technique to get more (mine aren't though).

Why are two tire sizes listed on your report?
I will try and get a picture of the setup once the rain stops. He installed the bolts from the bottom without removing the wheels, Idk if maybe he installed them backwards or upside down lol (no idea what the install looks like or if that is possible)?

He did not offer to drill out the holes at all but it is a service they offer because the guy who made my apointment asked if I needed any drilling done. I had thought no and told him no so maybe that is why they didnt ask.

I have no idea and neither of those are my correct tire size. I am on 195/50/15. I think those sizes are the stock options for a Yaris so maybe that was only the computer identifying the make model and trim?

Old 08-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Did he change the upper or lower bolts on the struts?
Old 08-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Form>Function

Upper. He did offer to sell me a second set of camber bolts he had lying around and install those on the bottom but he wanted double what you have the ingalls bolts for so I declined. Plus I want to make sure the top bolt install is correct before I start installing more.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Interesting how the numbers changed for the rears even though they didn't adjust anything. Neat way to see the margin for error in their machine, I think.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
Form>Function

Yea that stuck out to me too.

I am afraid I may have gotten poor service or an incorrect reading, which means potentially having to get a second alignment done and pay more money for it. :(

Also The descepancy between the left and right rears is so far off?

Do you think I should go to another shop?

I compared my numbers to the printout that Tan posted and we have a lot of similarities like the different readings from left to right and we both have similar toe readings so maybe its the car?

Old 08-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Every car is going to be different, and there will be differences from side to side and such -- not sure that detail is critically important.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 View Post
You mean the install or how its set now?
no as in what you said on page 2
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=40291&page=2

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #18
Form>Function

sorry I am trying to fix my camera cable right now it has a short so I need to work on that and then my DIY and build thread will be posted.

Sorry for the delay^^^