Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
clh333

Drives: 2007 Yaris 2 Door
Warranty news for Great Lakes owners

Last week my 07 hatch began to rattle at the right front wheel. I took it to the dealer for recall on the power window switch and asked them to diagnose the noise as well. I was expecting a loose pad or something. Not so.

The dealer informed me that the lower control arm bolt had broken, that the subframe would need to be removed to repair the damage and that the total cost would be astronomical. I told the dealer I would call back.

I found an Internet article describing the same problem. The cause seems to be the design of the subframe where the bolt joins the control arm to the subframe. It is cupped, and allows water (and salt, as those of us in the Great Lakes area know too well) to pool there. Eventually the bolt rusts enough to fail.

Armed with this knowledge I called the dealer back and asked if this was what was wrong. If so, I asked, shouldn't Toyota kick in something as well?

The dealer called back to say that Toyota was extending the warranty and would cover this repair, saving me an estimated $1000. I'm posting this message because my vehicle is 5 years old and has 93,000 miles on it; way past the 3/36 warranty.

Clearly Toyota realizes this is a problem with design: the new bolt is a different material and is expected not to rust. Just as clearly Totyota considers this a regional problem and not therefore subject to a recall.

The message is this: Get your control arm bolts inspected, and if you find corrosion, ask about Toyota contributing to the cost of repair.
clh333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
This issue has been covered by a TSB. Canadian dealer quoted a similar price to repair. I bought the updated bolts (2), had an independant garage remove my broken and intact bolts and install the new ones for 1.5 hours labour. Total outlay of less than $150.00.
Not really sure why Toyota want to remove the whole subframe unless some bolts shear off lower. Mine was only the head gone and removed by backing it out with an air chisel in minutes.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
narly charley

Drives: 2010 Yaris "L" 5 Speed
So if I were to go to Toyota and complained, I should get two updated bolts for no cost?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=27658&page=4

My 2010 had the noise also. It was fixed last week.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote