Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
Brake feels soft

My brake is starting to fade, I think is the front, cuz my handbrake still feeling nice and slug (about 3-4 clicks). I can check the width of the front brake pads, but is it possible to adjust the clearance so it is closer to the rotor?

I know for the rear we can adjust the clearance, can we do the same for the front?

thanks
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
No. Calipers are designed to float the pad above the rotor. It is pretty much always in almost constant contact.

Have you checked your fluid level recently. As pads wear, fluid needs to be topped up.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
I see, i will have a look at the brake pads and do a fluid change perhaps, never done this before car has 121,000km.
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
I have the same problem. My fluid is good brand new pads... my brakes need to be pressed all the way down and loose contact very easily. :/

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^ is cap on brake fluid reservoir securely seated?

Could also be air in the lines and need to be bled.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Have you checked your fluid level recently. As pads wear, fluid needs to be topped up.
Just be careful when it comes time to replace the pads, if you push the caliper pistons in you could have a mess...
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Lux

Drives: NCP91
Brake fluid is only added when bleeding. You should never "top up" brake fluid. That is a terrible idea...

Your hand brake is a mechanical linkage; it is not a good indication of the brake hydraulic system's condition (aeration, fluid age, lines, hoses, seals, etc.).

Hoist the car in the air and inspect for leaks. Remove the wheels and inspect the brakes.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #8
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Two things:

air in the lines (unlikely unless you've been down there by yourself without your Mr.Mechanic).

star wheel adjuster on the rear has stopped properly tightening the rear drum shoes. An easy inspection for this is to look at the shoes and see if they are worn evenly, or if they are a little flatter on the top and bottom of the friction material (which means they are not in full contact with the drum).

Easy fix: adjust star wheel through rubber grommet behind the drum, until the drum can't come off easily. Can be done without removing the wheel, just jack it up so you can get your hands back there.

In my experience, which can be found in my post history going back several years (2009), it is necessary to re-adjust the star wheel adjusters frequently once they stop working properly. I do mine every 5,000 miles; it only takes 10 minutes with a quick jack.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote