Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
dash noise?

so i have been getting alot of noice from my dash, a small squeek when driving and lots of random noise with the sub on.

i have found the sources of the noise, the small squeek is from the passanger side air vent and the nose from the sub is from the rear view mirror (what part of it im not sure but when i hold it still the noise stops) and the round part of plastic that goes around the speedometer.

now my question is, what are my options to stopping these noises? i have never delt with these kind of repairs and what is the best approach to stopping it?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you look at the TSBs in the DIY section, there was one from 07 or 08 about dash rattles. The typical repair is to use a foam tape and put a tiny piece of it in plastic seam areas where the two pieces either rattle or squeak.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
yaris2010RS

yeah, thats what i figured with the part around the speedo and instruments but the mirror and the vent i dont how to start with that.

with the vent specifically its the part with the adjustment blades (the part that spins), how does that come out/appart?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
yeah, thats what i figured with the part around the speedo and instruments but the mirror and the vent i dont how to start with that.

with the vent specifically its the part with the adjustment blades (the part that spins), how does that come out/appart?
Rather than taking the vents apart, try some dry graphite lubricant (lock lubricant).
Old 10-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
yaris2010RS

just spray it in there on the joints? can this be used for my mirror too?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
just spray it in there on the joints? can this be used for my mirror too?
I wouldn't go crazy with it, as it can be messy, but maybe put some on a cotton swab and dab it where the noises are and then move the parts a bit to work it in.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
" I have found the sources of the noise, the small squeek is from the passanger side air vent "

We also have the noise from the same vent of the 2010 BLAZING BLUE 3 door . Coincidence ? You'll need to remove the glove box to get accesss to the vent . Then buy the foam Air Contioner Insulating Seal ( 2 1/4w " x 2 1/4" thick x 42" long ) . Then wrap it / stuff it around the hose to reinforce it between the dash and vent itself . The foam shouldn't gather moisture when in place . I have the foam , but haven't had the time to try it out . If you do try this let us know the results . That's if I don't get to it 1st .

" the round part of plastic that goes around the speedometer "

For this you'll need to pull the plastic part of dash that's to the sides of the climate control knobs and then the plastic that meets the display . Best to pull the sides by sitting on the opposite seat and pulling toward you . Be careful not to break off the plastic snaps . If I remember right the plastic piece of the dash that meets the display is screwed in . Then you'll need to remove the display unit ( screws ) . Take some black sticky back felt , cut it to size as needed , and apply to areas where the display meets the dash . The felt can be bought at WAL-MART . I had to to do the display fix not long after purchasing the 2008 sedan as new . Not a peep out of it as of yet (25,000+ miles ) . Did my best to describe the fixes and hope it helps . GOOD LUCK
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #8
yaris2010RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
" I have found the sources of the noise, the small squeek is from the passanger side air vent "

We also have the noise from the same vent of the 2010 BLAZING BLUE 3 door . Coincidence ? You'll need to remove the glove box to get accesss to the vent . Then buy the foam Air Contioner Insulating Seal ( 2 1/4w " x 2 1/4" thick x 42" long ) . Then wrap it / stuff it around the hose to reinforce it between the dash and vent itself . The foam shouldn't gather moisture when in place . I have the foam , but haven't had the time to try it out . If you do try this let us know the results . That's if I don't get to it 1st .

" the round part of plastic that goes around the speedometer "

For this you'll need to pull the plastic part of dash that's to the sides of the climate control knobs and then the plastic that meets the display . Best to pull the sides by sitting on the opposite seat and pulling toward you . Be careful not to break off the plastic snaps . If I remember right the plastic piece of the dash that meets the display is screwed in . Then you'll need to remove the display unit ( screws ) . Take some black sticky back felt , cut it to size as needed , and apply to areas where the display meets the dash . The felt can be bought at WAL-MART . I had to to do the display fix not long after purchasing the 2008 sedan as new . Not a peep out of it as of yet (25,000+ miles ) . Did my best to describe the fixes and hope it helps . GOOD LUCK
Perfect, thank u very much. that is amazing info. i will definatly do the felt thing in a few weeks when i get a chance but the vent thing......iunno about the foam thing.....seems sketchy.

and ctscott, does the oil/lube ur talking about have a strong odour?
Old 10-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Hershey's ideas are sound for the larger areas. Anywhere where things can rattle against each other the foam or felt will work. Squeaks are typically caused by the flexing of tightly fit plastic parts. If you can get something like a bit of foam tape between them, then you are best off. If you can't get them apart to do so, then reducing the friction between them (or bonding them) is your best bet. The purpose of the graphite is to reduce that friction.

Graphite is a grey powder that is odorless (basically finely powdered pencil lead).
Old 10-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
yaris2010RS

oh, okay, now with that idea, i dont know exactly where the squeek is coming from.....i know its the vent and i know when i hold the blades the squeek stops but im not sure y.....
Old 10-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #11
Hershey

yaris2010RS , I removed the glove box and began to cut pieces of the foam I described and wedged them between the top of the vent hose/housing and the dash . Then wedged / stuffed pieces of foam between the R.H. side of the vent hose / housing and inner side of the dash . We then test drove it on some rough streets / roads and it seems to have stopped . The foam is pourous , so it'll breath , so likely not to contain moisture . You'll need a good flashlight or worklight to see what you're doing . I'll keep you updated . Hopefully it's the end of that noise for our 2010 L.B. . You could hear it over the loud music . Let me know how you make out . Best of luck .
Old 10-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #12
yaris2010RS

oh, foam pieces, i thought u ment like foam in a can or something. i will definatly give that a shot when i get a chance. thx hershey.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
Hershey

Nope this foam , http://www.duckbrand.com/Products/we...erization.aspx or other similar brand .
Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #14
Hershey

The other 1/2 drove it for work and said no noise from the vent as of yet . She travels some crappy roads . So the foam fix seems to be doing the job . Ony takes 20 minutes or less to stabilize the vent with the A/C foam . Will keep updated .
Old 10-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #15
Hershey

Went for a 160 mile trip earlier which included rough roads and streets and no more noise from the vent thus far.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:40 AM   #16
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Chunks of soft car wash sponge wedged around those vent tubes worked for me.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #17
yaris2010RS

so this is a fairly common issue among us? interesting..... and its only on the passanger side
Old 10-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #18
yaris2010RS

so i finally got the chance to put the foam in and noise is gone! finally, im so happy. thanks all and i ended up using sponge foam.