Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
zerosktz

Drives: AE86
Exclamation 2008-2009 yaris headunit to AE86 + aux/usb? help!

hey guys...

need some massive help with a complicated project!

this is the situation: i bought my AE86 (1985 corolla gt-s) with no stereo, no speakers, no antenna, and with a cut wire harness.

i've purchased a 2008-2009 yaris oem head unit as my replacement stereo.
this is info for the stereo:
Part/Model #: 86120-52510
Faceplate ID #: 11841
Does it have an amp? No, this is the standard sound system
Does it need a code or programming? No, it is a direct plug and play unit
here's some pictures of the stereo:

CIMG8968 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

CIMG8971 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

CIMG8972 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

why not aftermarket? i want to keep it lowkey and oem because most aftermarket radios seem too flashy for the AE86, keep in mind it's a car from 1985 so plain black, simple knobs, etc does it for me. would've been cool if it had a cassette player (keep the retro flavor) but i want to play my ipod too, so i can trade off on the tape player for AUX capability of the stereo.

anyways, the first thing i've been trying to figure out is how to connect the yaris stereo to my car since i have no wiring/my car's wire harness has been cut.

i've gotten in touch with tech support at scotsche and they've told me i should be able to get the stereo to work with the following wire harness (TA02B):
http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/682
basically, according to them the connectors should plug into the back of the radio and i can hard wire or splice the wires that are left from the connectors into what's left of my car's wiring harness using the electrical diagram they've sent me and the stereo should work.

these are the diagrams they sent me:

Toyota1 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

Toyota2 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

Toyota3 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

Toyota4 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

Toyota5 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

Toyota6 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

however, i was taking a look at a different harness and in my opinion it looks the connectors for this one (TA02RB) looks more like the ones i would need to plug into the back of the radio?
http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/683
am I wrong? what do you guys think? I don't want to buy the wrong harness since I'm actually located in South America, and shipping anything down here is a pain. Plus buying the wrong harness and finding out it was the wrong one would be very disappointing after waiting 2 weeks for it to arrive!

what do you guys think? TA02RB or the one scostche suggested TA02B? also is that the right electrical diagram i would need???

after that, i need to buy an antenna, since my car has none. i prefer the shaved antenna look, so i'm looking for one of those nice hidden electrical antennas.

thinking about something like this for that problem:
http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Antenna.../dp/B001QYSXAS
what do you guys think?

finally, here's the hard part: i've also purchased a Toyota USB/AUX JACK ADAPTER from a Tundra/Tacoma (Toyota Part # 86190-0C020). i want to try to see if i can get the AUX input for the yaris stereo to work through this adapter.

here's some pictures of it:

CIMG8959 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

CIMG8960 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

CIMG8961 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

CIMG8963 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

CIMG8965 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

i figure the USB won't work for the ipod conection, but if it can at least charge the ipod it would be awesome.

does anybody know what type of harness (what part number) i would need to get from toyota to connect this USB/AUX adaptor to the stereo???

i've attached pictures of my car and the way it looks like right now without a stereo (you can see the hole in the center console).

hachi2 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

my car stereo or lack thereof by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

also here's a picture of the same stereo in another AE86, proving that it is possible!

installed yaris radio in right hand drive AE86 by oresteshuaman, on Flickr

i know this is crazy, but i could really use the help guys. i have no idea what i'm doing!

any suggestions would be appreciated! :)
zerosktz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have the three connectors for the radio and can sell them to you. The right two are the power and speaker connections and the left one is for the audio aux jack. The radio that you purchased does not support the iPod connector directly. It requires a pricey (~$200) adapter, called the "iPod connection kit".

Radio Connectors.jpg
Old 06-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
zerosktz

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I have the three connectors for the radio and can sell them to you. The right two are the power and speaker connections and the left one is for the audio aux jack. The radio that you purchased does not support the iPod connector directly. It requires a pricey (~$200) adapter, called the "iPod connection kit".

Attachment 42275
Hey Scott! Thank you so much for your quick reply!

That actually sounds awesome, I'll buy the connectors right away!

Do you have paypal? How much do you want for the connectors so I can paypal you right away?

If anything you can e-mail me the information:
ahuaman@gmail.com

In regards to the USB/AUX adapter I have, other than with the pricey ipod connection kit you have mentioned (what's the part number for it, by the way?), do I have any other option?

Is there an aftermarket solution (a similar adapter or wiring harness) I could use to connect the USB/AUX plug I have to the stereo?

Or is there anyway I could just connect the AUX INPUT ONLY without using the USB/IPOD connector? The wiring for the AUX only, I'm assuming, won't be as expensive.

I believe the connector for just the AUX INPUT is the D75 connector right? Would I be able to use that connector to just connect the AUX to the stereo and leave the USB/IPOD connection disabled until I save enough to buy the adaptor and be able to use both?

Don't know if you get what I'm trying to do? Anyways thanks for your help man, you're awesome!

What's the part number for the D75 connector by the way?

If not, my only other option would be to hunt down this ipod connection adapter and wiring at the local junkyards. The thing is, as you might have seen in my first post, I am not in the U.S and the local market (South American) version cars don't come with the same stereo features, so I'm guessing I'm not going to find that adapter and wiring down here.

Next time you go to the junkyards, do you think you could look for it for me? Obviously I would pay you for your time and for the parts, but I figure it wouldn't be as expensive as $200.00 right? Let me know!

If not, I have no choice, gotta fork out the $200.00 to have my radio working the way I want it to. But when it's working and 100% operational it'll be a very nice looking set up!

*sigh* Restoring an AE86 is pricey! lol

Let me know about the connectors so I can paypal you right away bro! Thanks once again for your time and patience!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hl2RenoWog

http://www.gtacarkits.com/toyota_cor...11_car_kit.php Similar to this ?

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I sent you a PM on the wiring and a complete Aux jack with cabling that I have available.

The $200+ genuine Toyota kit is: PT545-00082

The GTA kit that S7V7N posted the link to is a good example of a more reasonable ($99) aftermarket one.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
zerosktz

Quote:
I sent you a PM on the wiring and a complete Aux jack with cabling that I have available.

The GTA kit that S7V7N posted the link to is a good example of a more reasonable ($99) aftermarket one.
Hey Scott, I also sent you a couple of PMs today. Don't know if you got them?

Would you be interested in only selling me the power and speaker connectors for the Yaris stereo (no Aux wiring and no Aux jack)?

Please let me know if you're okay with this! And the ammount as well so I can paypal you!

Thanks bro!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosktz View Post
Hey Scott, I also sent you a couple of PMs today. Don't know if you got them?

Would you be interested in only selling me the power and speaker connectors for the Yaris stereo (no Aux wiring and no Aux jack)?

Please let me know if you're okay with this! And the ammount as well so I can paypal you!

Thanks bro!
PM re-sent. I think I typed it and then got distracted and never poked the send button.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
badwooshy
I've made a post!

Drives: 2006 YARIS HatchBack (5d)
Quote:

Hi,

I need the wiring diagram for AUX jack too, could you please post it or PM it to me?

best regards.
badwooshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwooshy View Post
Hi,

I need the wiring diagram for AUX jack too, could you please post it or PM it to me?

best regards.
Take a look at the "Audio" page of the EWD section of the service manual for the wiring diagram:

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/