Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
lablancjc

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Not sure

I have a 2007 Yaris S sedan 5 speed 140k miles

Okay I have been reading for hours my eye balls hurt there is to much info on springs.

First issue:
My rear is making squeaking and rattling noises. I have a suspicion that the rubber stoppers(coil spring insulators) have been rubbed through is that possible? I have replaced my shocks with Gabriel G51783 about 50k miles ago. Should I replace with something else. Other than the noises the ride is fine no continuous bounce and no sag without load. Nothing else has been replaced as far as suspension goes.

Next issue:
I am driving for uber as an income and I want fat people to sit in my back seat and not sag my car down. For example I had a fat person in the back seat and I went off a curb and I bottomed out and it ripped my right rear bumper off ....It snaps back on but shit I do not want that to happen again!

So I was thinking of putting Megan racing honda fit 08 lowering springs on for more umph but not higher or lower ride heigth? What do you think?

By the way I do not want to spend $600 bucks I'm thinking more around $150-200.

I am sure what I am looking for is on here but I have searched and read and read and read and still have no idea what I should do to keep OEM height but have more load capability.
lablancjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
The squeaking needs to be visually inspected, but I have a feeling your shocks are gone.

As for your second question, I don't know if Fit lowering springs will keep the Yaris at stock height. I'm pretty sure that they'll lower it from stock.

Sounds to me your solution to your second question is to just not drive off curbs...the issue wasn't the fat passenger it was the driver.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #3
lablancjc

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Not to be a smart ass but how does one visually inspect a squeak or rattle. It does not make the noise unless I am driving for instance accelerating or stopping(forward or backwards) does not make noise on suspension going up or down. If you are going to say lift rear of car with tires off, I have already done that, I pushed pulled bounced suspension with no effect of what I hear while I am accelerating or stopping. I should have taken springs out and inspected insulators but I did not think they would go bad. The car has been garaged for 80% of its life.

If it is the shocks any suggestions on more load capacity?

Well the curb was not a square curb it was a rounded off curb like going down a drive way. I had driven off the curb hundreds of times but not with a 300+ lb person in the back seat.

The reason I suggested Honda fit lowering springs is because of this thread
lablancjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Visually inspect the rear suspension and axle when trying to make the parts move to re create the squeak. It should have read "visually inspect the suspension to try and see what is causing the squeak"

If it is not happening through the suspension travel than it is possible that it isn't the actual suspension but something else. It's tough to say without actually seeing the car. Make sure the shocks arn't leaking as well.

I'm not too familiar w/ Gabriel parts but at 50k miles they may be nearing their lifespan.

I cannot remember the load capacity of the Yaris but a single 300lbs person in the rear should be fine unless you hit a large drop. It shouldn't bottom out on more minor bumps. If you do hit the bumpstops once in a while it is not a huge issue. I don't know how often you have people that heavy in the back seat, but if you do it often than I guess I can see your desire for stiffer springs.