Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
vhicke

Drives: yaris
installing tweeters

Just have a few questions about installing tweeters...I have a aftermarket deck in my 2008 yaris sedan and was wondering if i need to install a crossover or can i just at to front speaker wires...Also do you think if i mount in centre console on both sides slots it will sound good(they are able to angle up to the driver and passanger)..........I have no amp installed.
vhicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
A crossover should be installed between the tweeter and the radio. And on a side note the better the crossover the better the tweeter will sound. Most manufacturers get a little cheap, so look for a crossover around 18dB per octave. Odd order filters work very well in a car.

Center console is not the best idea for tweeter placement. They should be mounted as close to the front speakers as possible. But to be realistic, I'm gonna mount mine in the upper part of the door. Similar to a picture I've seen on this site.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ters+installed

As far as the crossover, I build my own

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
vhicke

Drives: yaris
I purchased these tweeters for my car but these state that they have builtin crossover...........

http://cgi.ebay.com/QUANTUM-AUDIO-1-...item588605e79c
vhicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
What tweeters are you working with?

Where are the mids located?

What king of amplifier are you using?
Old 03-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhicke View Post
I purchased these tweeters for my car but these state that they have builtin crossover...........

http://cgi.ebay.com/QUANTUM-AUDIO-1-...item588605e79c
Then you are in good shape. Some tweeters, especially many piezo tweeters, do not require a crossover. Many piezos tend to be a little harsh for car use.

My recommendation is hook them up, listen to them before you mount them. If you like the sound then mount them. You will definately hear an improvement if the crossover point is not too high.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
wait one...

Before we go ahead and start talking about crossover points let's realize what we are saying first.

You can have a high crossover point. It depends on your mid, the location of the mid and tweeter, and the placement of the tweeter.

One has to be wary of crossing low simply because like it or not, you're playing down into the midrange around 2kHz. With tweeters playing to 2kHz, you will now split the imaging cues between four drivers…about ¾ of the tones will emanate from the midrange down in the door, and ¼ from the tweeter up high. In this instance, there will be no defined center image in the vehicle.

...But if you want to use a midbass that cannot play to 4kHz, then the tweeter *must* be mounted right next to the midbass.

The key is your mid...not the tweeter. If the mid's range is capable of playing to 4kHz and up, you are golden to separate the tweeter and the mid.

Thoughts?