Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 AM   #1
shawnono
BUAHAhaha

Drives: 2007 Honda Civic
New to the YARIS WORLD

Hey guys, I've been browsing through this site and noticed that there's a lot of informative stuff on it. I myself do not have a Yaris, but my girlfriend is looking into the 3 door hatch. I'm a honda guy and wanted her to get a fit, just based on lookswise, but looking at the pics posted here, I see that the Yaris looks just as good. I was just wondering what your opinions on both cars are. Oh, how is driving up hill for you guys, because we live on a pretty high hill.

My civic

-Thanks
shawnono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 AM   #2
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Send a message via AIM to dvlnblkdrs Send a message via Yahoo to dvlnblkdrs
hills are fine for us.. of course the fit has more aftermarket support since its a honda... but we are coming on our own with parts and stuff.. we r more of a community imo.. we hunt each other and wave at all the yaris' we see and are a bit nicer on here than some other forums, with a few exceptions on here.. lol

welcome to the board, hope u find all you need to help you and the gf make the right decision

dvlnblkdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:24 AM   #3
shawnono
BUAHAhaha

Drives: 2007 Honda Civic
heheh. Thanks for the welcome and feedback. It's nice to hear that this is a friendly forum, because i am part of a friendly forum too for my civic (8thcivic.com) :D and it's always nice to lay back in front of the laptop and enjoy a laugh or two w/ some fellow forum members :P
shawnono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:23 AM   #4
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
The yaris drives well for its size.... I mean its not going to fly up the hill and may be a bit noisy but I wouldnt worry about hills in this car.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
Got some good sized hills i have to conquer on my way to a friends house, and the yaris makes me proud. When it is raining the ride isn't as smooth, but I still manage.
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
eht13

Drives: .
In the past I have owned an '89 Honda CRX and a '98 Honda Civic coupe EX... (and our other car is an '05 Acura MDX). So with that history and never having owned a Toyota before I looked at both the Fit and the Yaris (and a Nissan Versa... waste of time). The Yaris surprised me and I liked it better, especially considering the better deal I could get on it. I ended up getting the sedan (with power package and alloys), not a hatchback, but still a fair comparison. Now when I see Fits on the road I don't regret the decision. By the way, look around here and you'll see quite a bit of discussion about these two cars compared to each other. Oh, and no problems at all on hills.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Welcome! Hope you have some fun here too. Take a look at the contest below and enter. You might just have $50 to spend on that first Yaris mod. Good luck in your furture purchase
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
I have '09 Yaris 5 Door LB and my sister has '09 Fit. To me, Fit has better value for the money. But I just couldn't like the exterier design of Fit.

If you're looking at automatic transmission, then Yaris auto is much smoother than Fit auto. Fit has stiffer suspension. The rear seat on Fit feels a little too rough. I think it's because of the stiffer suspension and how they made the rear seat to fold up easily (seat is thinner). Fit can connect iPod with USB, which lets you control iPod using car's control, where Yaris only has Aux input.

I think it all depends on what person likes. I personally like Yaris better and my sister personally likes Fit better.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetzyamis View Post
I have '09 Yaris 5 Door LB and my sister has '09 Fit. To me, Fit has better value for the money. But I just couldn't like the exterier design of Fit.

I agree that the Yaris is so much CUTER than the Fit (or Versa or any of the other clars in this class, with the possible exception of the Smart Twofer, which is almost *too* cute)... When I'm walking toward mine head-on, it almost seems to have a cartoon "face" looking back at me, LOL. As you can tell, it's beginning to grow on me... Of all the new subcompacts, Yaris...

otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
eht13

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
it's beginning to grow on me...

Old 01-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #11
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I was torn between the Fit and the Yaris, but my wife has had good experience with her Scion XB, and in our area the Toyota dealers were easier to work with than the Honda dealers. It may be different elsewhere, but my local Honda dealers did not have base model Fit or Civic on the lots.

I got an internet quote on the Yaris from the dealer and compared it with the Costco Auto Program. Two nights later I put a deposit on the car, and picked it up at the end of the week.

Just my opinion, but I think my Yaris 3-door hatch is much closer to the original Honda Civic hatchback I had as my first car, than the Fit currently is.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #12
chibipod

Drives: '09 3DR LB S MT Meteorite
It was Fit vs. Yaris for me too. The deal-breaker was that Honda dealers didn't want to deal, and Toyota dealers did - a comparably equipped Fit would have been 3k more than I spent.

Fits are nice, but now when I see one on the road I'm really happy with my decision because to me they look like mini-mini-vans...
chibipod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:42 AM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Welcome to the boards. I like both the Yaris and the Fit, but the deciding factors for me were 1. I got a deal on my sedan and 2. There was like a 6-month wait on the Fit when I bought my sedan.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
eht13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibipod View Post
Fits are nice, but now when I see one on the road I'm really happy with my decision because to me they look like mini-mini-vans...
Yes... or clothes irons.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Thumbs up Fit or Yaris?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShot View Post

Just my opinion, but I think my Yaris 3-door hatch is much closer to the original Honda Civic hatchback I had as my first car, than the Fit currently is.
I totally agree with that!

To the original poster who wanted to know whether to go with the Fit or the Yaris: I was split, too, because I've been driving subcompact Hondas for a very long time, and I kind of wanted to stay with the brand. They're really good cars! But so are Toyotas. Having driven both, I think the Fit may be a slightly better car in terms of responsiveness, comfort, acceleration, but I still went with the Yaris in the end because it's fine for my purposes, scores high in reliability and economy, and frankly is a lot cuter than the Fit :) ! The Fit is more spacious inside, I think than my 2 door-hatchback Yaris, but don't need all that space inside my car, so I thought I'd save a couple thousand dollars and get the Yaris instead.

The Yaris is a great little city car, and drives pretty smoothly on the freeway up to 75 MPH as far as I can tell. Didn't push it more than that. It goes up hill just fine, too (had to try that first because I live near San Francisco, lots of hills here). Good luck with your decision.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #16
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Made my day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eht13 View Post
In the past I have owned an '89 Honda CRX and a '98 Honda Civic coupe EX... (and our other car is an '05 Acura MDX).
Now the CRX totally rocks!!! I wish they continued that model!! I just sold my old Honda CRX 1987 2 days ago. That car gave me a lot of great miles!! but I guess it was her time to go because she was beginning to cost money.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #17
eht13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Now the CRX totally rocks!!! I wish they continued that model!! I just sold my old Honda CRX 1987 2 days ago. That car gave me a lot of great miles!! but I guess it was her time to go because she was beginning to cost money.
Yes, the CRX was a great model... mine was my first car and I enjoyed it a lot.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #18
Niko

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris sedan
i just put a cold air intake on my 2008 yaris. its works nicely and gives me a little extra boost, but my check engine light turns on and sometimes the car does not pick up speed well, what can i do to fix this? Also, when i am drivind the car does not shift at the same rpms.... It takes longer to shift and really doesn't go past a hundred.
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote