Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
So, I'm thinking about going Turbo... Questions

First off I'd like to say that I'm pretty new to car modifications so feel free to call me crazy for even thinking about doing this.

I love my Yaris, but I'm looking for more power... without drastically decreasing engine longevity and fuel economy. Bolt-on mods aren't going to cut it, and superchargers are out of my price range. Plus, I'd like the satisfaction of putting together a custom kit

After my initial research, I've decided I would like to aim for approximately 140 hp and no more than a 6psi boost (if this is even possible.. seems like it is). I would really like to keep as much stock as possible.

So here are my first set of questions:

1). So far, the Garrett GT25r and Turbonetics T3 seems to be the most approriate choices. The GT25 spools up at about 2000 rpm apparently, which would be great for a daily driver such as myself. Both of these are a bit steep though, and I can't find a used one on ebay. Are there any cheaper alternatives that spool up somewhat quickly? Would the Garrett GT22 work?
Also - pros + cons of internal v. external wastegate?

2). A log manifold is definitely my first choice for manifold. It should be approriate for the set up I'm aiming for, correct? It would be great if someone could supply me with some specs for the manifold as well.

3). Found the answer.

4). What other parts of a turbo kit can I do without (at low boost)? I was reading somewhere that a BOV isn't really necessary, among others.

5). Fuel Management - will stock injectors and a stock pump work at low boost? Do I need a piggyback system such as the GReddy E-manage?

6). Will I need a sump for feeding the oil?

7). How important is tuning going to be if I'm able to keep almost everything stock, and simply add a piggyback system if necessary?

Last edited by Focus_Sh1ft; 03-31-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
You're crazy :D

I believe you are running into the "cheap, fast, reliable - pick two" rule.

Find a nice used blitz unit and call it a day.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
based on what you posted, please step away from the toolbox

yarr sez it best. get a blitz unit, follow the instructions, have a nice day.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Blitz.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:11 AM   #5
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Blitz.
Honestly, this is my first choice. I can't justify $3500 for a 30 hp gain though. I'll be keeping an eye out for sellers
Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
might have a deal coming up soon on a Blitz

and yeah, anything more than that is a serious project. Even getting the Blitz installed right is tedious and of at least medium difficulty.

Quote:
How important is tuning going to be if I'm able to keep almost everything stock, and simply add a piggyback system if necessary?
This tells me right there that you didn't search this forum and read a bunch before posting. May I suggest you do that now? Your subsequent questions will be more focused, and more informed.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
This tells me right there that you didn't search this forum and read a bunch before posting. May I suggest you do that now? Your subsequent questions will be more focused, and more informed.
I've done a lot of reading, on and off this forum. There were a few threads in FI where you and a few others were talking about running a low boost without having any tuning done. Maybe there was something to this that I missed? It didn't make sense to me either, but I thought someone might be able to clear it up. I'd have to dig up the threads where I found such mentions...

I'm also beginning to realize this may not be worth it, as the cost of a low boost through Turbo may just as well run as much as a used Blitz. Nonetheless, this is something I'd like to try

EDIT: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20426
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
6 psi is relatively easy, I believe the stock ECU can handle that. (Can't prove it, though).

15-20 psi is a bit more tricky.
Do you mean a piggyback isn't needed, but tuning still is? I'm just trying to get my info straight here - this isn't exactly a simple topic.

Found another mention here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17681

Garm, I'm not trying to call you out, but at the same time I kind of am lol. You clearly know the most about FI in a Yaris, so your feedback is most valuable

Last edited by Focus_Sh1ft; 03-31-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: trying to avoid looking like an idiot lol
Old 04-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
gmodder
Riceman43

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3door
might have a deal coming up soon on a Blitz

And has this happened yet????
gmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
based on what you posted, please step away from the toolbox

yarr sez it best. get a blitz unit, follow the instructions, have a nice day.
+1
It's not going to be cheap, a lot of research and testing goes into developing a turbo kit and an ECU Map that works right without screwing up your engine. Get a kit that's made for the application and has some sort of support for the times when you have a question or a problem.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
1). So far, the Garrett GT25r and Turbonetics T3 seems to be the most approriate choices. The GT25 spools up at about 2000 rpm apparently, which would be great for a daily driver such as myself. Both of these are a bit steep though, and I can't find a used one on ebay. Are there any cheaper alternatives that spool up somewhat quickly? Would the Garrett GT22 work?

** It's not a ball bearing turbo. You can also get a super cheap Chinese no-brand turbo, but god help you when it fails. The turbo is the most important part of the set up - don't cheap out on that one part.

Also - pros + cons of internal v. external wastegate?

*** Cost. Flexibility and tuning. Not easy to change an internal gate (different spring, etc.)

2). A log manifold is definitely my first choice for manifold. It should be approriate for the set up I'm aiming for, correct? It would be great if someone could supply me with some specs for the manifold as well.

** What do you mean by "specs"?

3). Found the answer.

** Huh?

4). What other parts of a turbo kit can I do without (at low boost)? I was reading somewhere that a BOV isn't really necessary, among others.

*** I think it is. Overboosting/retaining boost off throttle are both dangerous.

5). Fuel Management - will stock injectors and a stock pump work at low boost? Do I need a piggyback system such as the GReddy E-manage?

*** Yes they will at the 6psi target.

6). Will I need a sump for feeding the oil?

*** No. Just install your return line as high as possible. I tapped mine into the block, because we don't really have much of a "pan".

7). How important is tuning going to be if I'm able to keep almost everything stock, and simply add a piggyback system if necessary?

*** This is two questions, not one. 1. Tuning is critical, period. BUT you may not need it if you set up a low-boost system correctly. 2. Find successful piggyback installs on here or anywhere on a Toyota Yaris. It's a challenge!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote