Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
spdas

Drives: Yaris Electric
3dr hb Nose job

Aloha, I have a 2007 Yaris 3dr HB that has been converted to electric. ie, no gas engine at all, just Lithium batteries and a electric motor capable of 85+ mph. Anyways, since I have no radiator and no need for a grill, I am wondering if anyone knows of a conversion or a one-off job that drops the nose and gets rid of some of the "frontal area" and thereby get better aerodynamics. (maybe like a Porsche 911?). Or any nice after market plastic front ends?

thanks
Francis
spdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Wait?!?! you can convert a Yaris to electric? how much would that cost?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
hachi-roku_fan

Drives: 1986 Toyota Corolla
Dude, you can't make your first post, saying you converted a Yaris to all electric that does 85MPH, and NOT post any pics!!! Come on man!! lol
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
spdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi-roku_fan View Post
Dude, you can't make your first post, saying you converted a Yaris to all electric that does 85MPH, and NOT post any pics!!! Come on man!! lol
Wow a lively bunch here..... The conversion and new Yaris in 2007 cost a bit. I got it on Ebay and the owner paid about $32,000.00 for it as he made it right from the dealer with 0 miles on the odometer. It had old lead acid batteries and I am just now putting in lithium. Range will be about 100-120 miles. I drove around with the current setup and it had some BALLS. More torque than the gas version. Anyways, here is the ebay site where i bought it . Click the link below and see lots of pix and the electric conversion and movie.
Francis

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...5fTrucks#v4-43

Last edited by spdas; 02-04-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
pretty crazed mon
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Welcome to the forum, and now a moment of silence..... But they do have a point post some pics of your ride and then some of us can get an idea in what you want to do.
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #7
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
electric car with a M/T? thats epic
Old 02-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Where in Hawaii? I want to see it if it's on Oahu!
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:55 AM   #9
donchae
noob-toob

Drives: 2007 yaris 4dr sedan
According to the link spdas posted:

Quote:
Q: Hello, Is it really a standard transmission! Is it necessary to use a clutch when starting and stopping? What wasn´t a Yaris with an automatic used for the conversion? Thank you, Tom

A: Hello, Yes it is standard 5 speed transmission and it has a clutch. However I never use the clutch, not even for starting or stopping. I usually start in 3rd gear and shift (without clutch) to 4th at 45MPH and to 5th at 55 to 60 mph.
huwaat the fresh???? that's soooo cool!!

donchae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
As a temporary measure, I have had good luck using old magnetic door signs, turned dark side out and trimming to fit over the existing grille. The front bumper assembly can be carefully tipped forward to fasten the grille blocks with screws and fender washers.

Not the best look perhaps, but I try to distract people from that with Racing Disc hubcaps, and a Shark Fin style antenna.
I do it to reduce airflow during the colder Winter months, and I use a ScanGauge II to monitor coolant temperatures and MPG.

I know, running a Yaris HB well below freezing for 3-4 months of the year will sound very odd to you, but that is life here at the opposite end of the country. ;-)
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Too cool! But even the range when it was new (25 miles) would barely get me to work!

Cheers! M2
Old 02-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
^yeah I commute about 100 miles each way to work on Fridays :-/ but hey he's in HI so th island can't be that big ! :)
Old 02-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
you'd likely have to DIY on the front bumper to remove the grilles, etc
Old 02-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
How about some under hood pics? I'd like to see what motor they used and how they mated it to the MT.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
+1
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #16
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Yeah, we're all damned curious how a MT works with an Electric motor.

..okay well at least I am.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I got it on Ebay and the owner paid about $32,000.00 for it as he made it right from the dealer with 0 miles on the odometer.
That guy was a member on here. Same car, I remember it.

[edit]

here's the thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3169
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #18
spdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
That guy was a member on here. Same car, I remember it.

[edit]

here's the thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3169
Good digging to find the original owner.
In answer to some questions...
1: I am putting Lithium batteries in, so it will go 100 miles between charge. The original owner used lead-acid Orbital (Optima) that went only 25 miles

2: I am in Kapolei Oahu

3: The original converter did a VERY good job, used the highest quality parts and was professional....not a backyard hack job. I will me making improvements when i add the Lithium that will make it look "factory". The car is immaculate and only has 8499 miles.

4: The grill is already blocked off

5: I am going to "skin" the underside of the car as it is very rough and is VERY easy to do with a 4'x7' x 1/8" ABS plastic. Especially since there is no motor or exhaust.

6: Check out my ebay link and go to the image gallery and movie to see motor/tranny details.

7: You can start out in 5th and never use the clutch even at a stop sign. It is sluggish. Using 2 gear, u will do a big time burnout, but lose speed around 35-40 mph and need to shift. For around town just put it in 3rd and leave it there, if on a surface street @40mph, maybe use 4th, and on the highway use 5th

Francis