Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Blown rear speakers?

For some strange reason the other day, I tried putting the balance all the way to the rear speakers. The volume difference was pretty substantial, so I'm concerned that I may have blown them out. They didn't sound muffled, just much quieter than the front. If they're just terrible to begin with, then I won't bother digging them out until I upgrade them. I don't think that I've ever had the radio louder than low to mid 40's, but I think that's not terribly reliable given that audio tracks can have different volume levels.

Has anyone else had this happen?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Crackerballer

Drives: 08 BMW 135i
They are terrible. The only evidence you need is to look in the trunk at the size of the magnets. Get you a decent set, ANY decent set and you will see a world of improvement. My new ones go in this weekend. Infinity Reference 9623i with a JBL powering them. Should sound AWESOME.
Crackerballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Yeah, the rear speakers are junk. I took mine out, and laughed at how cheap and light they are. You shouldn't need rear speakers anyway
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
valpoyaris

Drives: 08 Yaris HB
Please clarify...why should we not need rear speakers? I am looking at replacing and if I dont have to buy thme I wont. Thanks.

Tony
valpoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Lil Abner

Actually, it's more personal preference. Ever been to a concert? Where is the music? In front of you. So ideally you want the sound in your car also in front of you. That way you get proper imaging (left, center, right) and it's in front of you. So really, it's up to you.

But when doing the rear speakers on the Yaris HB, the speaker adapters that people purchase online are NOT ideal for the rears. The replacement speakers need to be sealed to the plastic panel with foam to get proper sealing to get the lower mid-bass frequencies.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
But when doing the rear speakers on the Yaris HB, the speaker adapters that people purchase online are NOT ideal for the rears.

I just cut out the old driver and used the housing to mount the new one...I did that on all four of them.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Lil Abner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
I just cut out the old driver and used the housing to mount the new one...I did that on all four of them.
That works, but if you put foam around the speaker (like the factory speaker) then you'll get better low frequency response.