![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#1 |
![]() ![]() ![]() |
What was your first subcompact?
I've been going through old boxes lately and I've found all sorts of things I thought I had lost. Most importantly, I finally found a picture of the first cars I modified. It was still bone stock when I bought it in '88. It didn't stay that way for long
![]() It was a '76 Civic 1500cc, 5 speed manual with the option gauge package (Tach added, Temp and Fuel gauges were relocated to a separate bezel in the dash.). After killing the original 1500 (ED-3 I think), I stuffed an engine out of an '83 Prelude into it. (ES-1 with the duel carbs). It mated right to the original '76 5-speed and the original motor mounts. A slight modification to the original flywheel was about all that was needed. Exhaust was 2.5" with an 18" Cherry Bomb somewhere near the middle with the core knocked out of the Cat. I up-sized to 13x6" wheels and better tires and removed unneeded weight. It scaled at 1380 lbs, stock was a little over 1500 lbs. For a car its size, with the original close ratio trans it was scary fast in a straight line up to about 95 and even scarier in corners of any kind (70/30-ish weight balance). And of course, flat black paint with an offset white stripe. I miss this car, one of these days I may try to reproduce it with a modern FI engine. Pic is from '91 or '92 Civic 800x600.jpg |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
That's one I wish I had. My first was a VW Bug. Then a 76 Corolla which I really do wish I still had.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2010 black yaris Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: savannah, ga
Posts: 2,867
|
ohh.. 89 crx dx bone stock, just needed a clutch when puchased.
first car I bought in '99 i think.. biggest mods was: integra gsr motor swap had a t3/t4 turbo at one point but took it off when i started autocrossing these pictures are 8 years old
__________________
-Derrick- "Racing is important to men who do it well. When you're racing... It's life. Anything that happens before or after, is just waiting." Last edited by ilikerice; 09-15-2011 at 04:07 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
TRIM HUNTER
Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR Join Date: May 2006
Location: ROCKLAND COUNTY NY
Posts: 2,088
|
1991 chevy SPRINT TURBO. It couldn't stop for shit and had no 4th/5th gear which made it a in-town car. This thing could burn out for days in second gear with ebrake up.....
__________________
http://rocklandtoyota.com/IFrame.aspx?iFrameID=2388 TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........ |
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Banned
Drives: yaris Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: earth
Posts: 364
|
1983 Renault R5 Turbo. 100% sick. Couldn't afford to keep it, but laid
rubber on every street in Austin TX when I had it. Replaced with a regular LeCar afterward which matched my income better. Got it from an Air Force pilot (I was an E3 in the same squadron) and had it for 1 year. |
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: . Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: .
Posts: 1,931
|
One of these - Mine was a 56, bought it in 72. Fine piece of ... rust. But it ran. Had semaphore indicators (very cool).
This chassis and engine were the donor car for the first Austin-Healey Frog-Eye sprites. Wish they looked as cool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Black_Austin_A35.jpg |
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: . Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: .
Posts: 1,931
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 07 Yaris sedan Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Keremeos BC
Posts: 986
|
A-30... One of the guys dropped a 1275 into one of those; only external giveaways were tires and exhaust pipe. Man, that lil beast ate more Camaros than was legal!
My subcompact was a Ford Prefect; 30 raging gerbil-powered, it ate all the insects that were too slow to get out of its way. Mechanical brakes, poured-babbit rods, what a horrible POS that thing was... |
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|