Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
Why Industries

Has anyone used Why Industries for anything? I am looking specifically at the Yaris Turbo Kit they have available. Anything to report about these guys? Is this another ZPI in the making? It looks like a fairly complete kit for a pretty reasonable price. What do you guys think?
http://www.whyindustries.com/store/p...products_id=51
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
RShatchback

Drives: 07 yaris liftback
You should really call or email them if you interested in the kit and then post your findings here

I dont see anything on that list about engine management/tuning so I wonder what they are using - cause that usually seems to be the trickiest part on this car...

I'm still waiting for a reputable company, these private kits are fine and I'm glad someone is doing something - but look what happened with zpi, so I dont know...either way, check it out.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
No management... tack at least $500 onto that price for an e-manage and some dyno time.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I thought our ECU compensated/disabled attempts with eManage?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:32 AM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

1. I don't like that they only give a P.O. Box.
2. I don't see any dynos or other verification of power gains.
3. I don't like internal wastegates.

With that said, it's worthy of further investigation. Who's making the call?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:58 AM   #6
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
1. I don't like that they only give a P.O. Box.
2. I don't see any dynos or other verification of power gains.
3. I don't like internal wastegates.

With that said, it's worthy of further investigation. Who's making the call?
i feel the same way. i think for a "company" to come out and advertise for a specific turbo kit they should have some kind of dyno sheets/videos. is pretty simple to get a video of a dyno run and use it as a means to back up your claims nowadays...

why don't you like internal wastegates? they do a pretty good job on pretty much every oem turbo car...
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:07 AM   #7
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I thought our ECU compensated/disabled attempts with eManage?
it does. the only way i know is to remove the front o2 sensor which will throw a cel but then the ecu won't be able to reset the adaptation values.

T&A said he used some kind of special unit for his turbo matrix but i'm not sure what it was called and if it will work on our cars. it supposedly allows you to boost the car without having to remove the front o2.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

ok, about wastegates. I'd like to be able to change out the whole wastegate, or just the spring in the wastegate, etc. as needed. Sometimes these changes become desirable as you make other changes/upgrades to a turbo system. This has definitely been true on my tC project.

If I turbo my Yaris, I will be tinkering for a while, I'm willing to bet on that! I haven't seen a turbo kit yet that doesn't require further tuning/maintenance/monkeying to work properly.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
redduck

Drives: Yaris
looks a little too mom and pop for me
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:23 AM   #10
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
You would think a company building turbo kits would be able to take better pictures of the kits installed and use better page setup. Look at the font
Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #11
lifthard1

Drives: Black LB
that just looks shady to me.Like said above no management nor larger injectors.And from my past exp. with new toyo motors the design of the mani you will be blowing gaskets all day long.Just ask T&A He and I have delt with the toyo 2zz motors and the Turbo woes
lifthard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Well... has anyone picked up a phone and called them? Easy to conjecture from here, but let's see what they have to say?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
sciontc

Drives: scion
Hey guys, I actually own a scion, not a yaris so im not so familiar with the cars that you guys have but the company that you are checking out, that im familiar with, I came across this site when looking for ways to get to todd ( the owner of turbo Toyotas) and warn him that the splashpage for his webstie is broken ahha, anyways. So I came across your site and some of you mentioned that it looks a bit too much like a mom and pops site huh? Well, as mom and pops as it is…that’s one mom and pop that id LOVE to do my turbo. Shit. Right now in my tc, I’m squeezing about 300 horses with 9psi granted, it doesn’t come with management, yea it doesn’t have dyno, but it’s because he just recently shoved all of this out. Some of us that are TT’ed are getting dynode soon and are going to send it to him, but again. We are all scions. Not yaris. And I’m not sure how many yaris are turboed by him. What else…oh yea

Ill tell you right now. That each and every one of us would fight tooth and nail to defend this turbo kit and this company. Why? Because not only does he build awesome and strong turbo kits but his customer service and willingness to help us whenever anything goes wrong is just…amazing.

Tell him I said this and ill deny it. It sounds too much like I’m in love >=|

about the management and injectors issue, he will add them, of course he would, he just dones't have it listed on the site because those are items that people tend to like to pick out themselves. also, helps to keep the price down.
sciontc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:52 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

dude, you need to check out this thread.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8258

I talked to Todd myself, and not all of what you said is correct. He's very nice, and I think the product looks great, but read the other thread. 1. He never installed it in a Yaris and 2. he's selling it as is, not with injectors and management.

I have a turbo tC also, by the way.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:29 AM   #15
reznunt
Hi!

Drives: EF Sedan
he's only got one post... i wouldn't trust it.
reznunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:36 AM   #16
sciontc

blah blah. one poost like i said, i came accross this while looking for a way to tell todd. gosh.

like i said, todd is a very good person. he is in no way out to get anybody and in no way a copy of zpi. >=|

yea, he's missing injectors and managemnent, i mentioned that in my post, you pick that yourself, same with my tc kit..

i alsooooooooo mentioned that, i have no idea how many yaris's are turboed and just figured id stop by and post and tell you guys that todd is a good guy, but if you don't believe me..

i just don't see why you wouldn't.

it's not like i'm a troll trying to advertise something. look.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...stries&spell=1

check that, look dwon 7 or 8 links. theres this thread.

happy?

the point of my post was to tell you guys, that as a turbo toyota tc driver, im very happy and content, and as the original poster was asking if the company was reputable. i popped in to say yes.

crime?

sorry.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:37 AM   #17
sciontc

wow i just reread that, i repeated alot of things over and over and over again. apologies. it's late and i'm tired. but yea, good guy. maybe the kit isn't complete but it's a good start, wealth of information and he's really willing to help.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:58 AM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

sciontc,

The main issue with the Yaris at this point is management. It does not have the same ECU as the Scion, so piggybacks like eManage don't work. Our ECU is "smart" and compensates for changes the piggyback tries to impose on it.

No one has an acceptable solution yet, including Todd, so we're waiting for someone to crack the ECU and/or come up with something less expensive than a standalone. After that, you'll see a LOT of turboed Yaris.

Like I said -- Todd seems to be a professional guy and his hardware looks great, but that is not a complete kit and it hasn't been installed in a Yaris yet.
(Todd did a motor swap on his Yaris instead, by the way.)